Difference between Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2.5" and WD Black 2.5"

RRGT19
  • 2.5 Inch Seagate FireCuda Gaming SSHD 2TB $104.98
  • 2.5 Inch WD Black 1TB $69.99

I have a Mini ITX case and I need a hard drive for my Steam Library, to play my games through it.

What's the difference between those hard drives?.

91-hixHGisL._SL1500_.jpg

81Kt0NY1btL._SL1500_.jpg

Firecuda is fast, WD Black is reliable.

Does you mum know you're here?

One is an SSHD, meaning it has a small SSD cache which helps with small writes and can help with reads on the most frequently used data. The other (WD Black) is a regular HDD that's known to be very reliable and have good performance. 

If they're around the same price, go for the WD Black. SSHDs don't offer much of a benefit compared to their cost, and you get a 5 year warranty on the WD Black. 

13 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

One is an SSHD, meaning it has a small SSD cache which helps with small writes and can help with reads on the most frequently used data. The other (WD Black) is a regular HDD that's known to be very reliable and have good performance. 

If they're around the same price, go for the WD Black. SSHDs don't offer much of a benefit compared to their cost, and you get a 5 year warranty on the WD Black. 

Right.

but, 2TB is not a bad idea either, I won't have to erase games for a long time.

What a shame what WD only has WD BLUE 2TB and not with SSHD or 2TB 7,200 rpm.

SSHDs should have learning algorithms to know what should stay in cache and what shouldn't. However, this lends them better for applications that are going to be used often, like the OS and your daily drivers. SSHDs aren't really that good for games unless you happen to play one pretty much all the time because if you regularly rotate games, the caching algorithm has no idea what to leave in cache.

Just now, RodoGodo19 said:

Right.

but, 2TB is not a bad idea either, I won't have to erase games for a long time.

What a shame what WD only has WD BLUE 2TB and not with SSHD or 2TB 7,200 rpm.

For storing games and media, 5400RPM is enough. 7200RPM will help if it's an OS drive as the access times and random read/writes are better, but for transfers, loading games, playing media and such, it doesn't make any real difference. In terms of sequential read/writes, the difference between 5400RPM and 7200RPM doesn't really change anything. 

I didn't even look at the capacity, I assumed you were comparing drives of the same size. For storing games and media, a 2TB WD Blue is fine. SSHDs aren't worth the price, especially for your use case. 

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

SSHDs should have learning algorithms to know what should stay in cache and what shouldn't. However, this lends them better for applications that are going to be used often, like the OS and your daily drivers. SSHDs aren't really that good for games unless you happen to play one pretty much all the time because if you regularly rotate games, the caching algorithm has no idea what to leave in cache.

well, when I install a game, let's say GTA V, it keep it for months and I play that game a lot....

I have it installed 2 years ago.

I really would like 2TB, would be awesome for my library. I have 750GB of games right now but, if the SSHD will help me in my specific case, that I don't erase games then, I can buy it.

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

For storing games and media, 5400RPM is enough. 7200RPM will help if it's an OS drive as the access times and random read/writes are better, but for transfers, loading games, playing media and such, it doesn't make any real difference. In terms of sequential read/writes, the difference between 5400RPM and 7200RPM doesn't really change anything. 

I didn't even look at the capacity, I assumed you were comparing drives of the same size. For storing games and media, a 2TB WD Blue is fine. SSHDs aren't worth the price, especially for your use case. 

https://www.amazon.com/Internal-inches-Height-5400RPM-WD20NPVZ/dp/B013HNYVDI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1493051029&sr=1-1&keywords=WD20NPVZ

WD Blue 2TB Internal 2.5 inches $115.40

What do you think of that price?.

I really would like 2TB, would be awesome for my library. I have 750GB of games right now but, if the SSHD will help me in my specific case, that I don't erase games then, I can buy it.

Just now, RodoGodo19 said:

https://www.amazon.com/Internal-inches-Height-5400RPM-WD20NPVZ/dp/B013HNYVDI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1493051029&sr=1-1&keywords=WD20NPVZ

WD Blue 2TB Internal 2.5 inches $115.40

What do you think of that price?.

Does your case only support 2.5" drives? 

If so, at $115, it's a little steep for 2TB. You can pick up a Seagate Barracuda 2.5" for about $25 less. (and yes, Seagate is fine, they get a bad reputation for no valid reason) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LX13P71/?tag=pcpapi-20

32 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Does your case only support 2.5" drives? 

If so, at $115, it's a little steep for 2TB. You can pick up a Seagate Barracuda 2.5" for about $25 less. (and yes, Seagate is fine, they get a bad reputation for no valid reason) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LX13P71/?tag=pcpapi-20

27 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Everyone has a bad reputation :3

I will buy a Fractal Node 202 and it only supports 2x 2.5".

Well, I guess the WD BLUE 2TB will be good then if the SSDHD won't give me a noticeable benefit.