Receiver or No Receiver?

Go to solution Solved by johnt,
11 minutes ago, madsolar8582 said:

Well, the soundbar is a 5.1.2 system, so it is advertised as an Atmos system. But I think you're right about the pricing of the switcher. I found this one for ~$480 which is just shy of the two receivers I mentioned above.

Yup that's God's switch right there. Advertised is a harsh word to accept in this case. Atmos requires directional speakers and unless your room is a perfect box and your couch is in the right spot and you only sit in the center of everything and venus aligns with saturn and pluto catches on fire, then I wouldn't hang my hat on the Atmos stuff from a bar.

Go for Denon. They specialize in home theater equipment.

Hi All,

I just bought the LG SJ9 soundbar and subwoofer system as part of my a/v upgrade path this year. The soundbar itself has 1 HDMI in and 1 HDMI out (with ARC), so now I'm trying to figure out if I need a receiver or not. I'm wondering if the receiver is necessary since the ports on the soundbar are limited. The TVs that I'm scoping out (LG 55SJ8000 or Samsung 55" MU9000) have plenty of HDMI inputs, but do not do have Dolby Atmos decoders (like the soundbar). I want to make sure I get the best audio quality, so I found the Sony STR-DN1080 and the Denon AVR-930H. Both have 2 HDMI outputs, but I think the Sony one can push audio through both. I guess my question boils down to whether or not a receiver can support audio going to the soundbar via HDMI and video going to the TV via HDMI or do I just suck it up and unplug and plug devices into the soundbar when I want to switch inputs?

Thanks in advance,

madsolar8582

3 minutes ago, VVoltor said:

Just get a HDMI switch

Do you have a particular recommendation that allows for HDCP 2.2 4k pass through with HDR?

2 minutes ago, madsolar8582 said:

Do you have a particular recommendation that allows for HDCP 2.2 4k pass through with HDR?

I don't know if any exist yet. Even if they did, they would be astronomically priced compared to a receiver in terms of benefits. Personally I can't stand the tinny sound from sound bars. My recommendation is for a receiver. Even a low end receiver with reasonable speakers is going to be better sound quality than a sound bar.

And by the way you're using a sound bar. I wouldn't be too concerned with Atmos decoding.

3 minutes ago, JohnT said:

I don't know if any exist yet. Even if they did, they would be astronomically priced compared to a receiver in terms of benefits. Personally I can't stand the tinny sound from sound bars. My recommendation is for a receiver. Even a low end receiver with reasonable speakers is going to be better sound quality than a sound bar.

And by the way you're using a sound bar. I wouldn't be too concerned with Atmos decoding.

Well, the soundbar is a 5.1.2 system, so it is advertised as an Atmos system. But I think you're right about the pricing of the switcher. I found this one for ~$480 which is just shy of the two receivers I mentioned above.

11 minutes ago, madsolar8582 said:

Yup that's God's switch right there. Advertised is a harsh word to accept in this case. Atmos requires directional speakers and unless your room is a perfect box and your couch is in the right spot and you only sit in the center of everything and venus aligns with saturn and pluto catches on fire, then I wouldn't hang my hat on the Atmos stuff from a bar.

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

Yeah, the Denon one supports Dolby Vision whereas the Sony one doesn't. Thanks for the feedback!