Home Server Setup Showoff

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

I'll let you know how much pain I'm in once I get my 3 dual L5630's up and running along with my IBM x3500 M4, still looking for rackmount cases for them. I plan on putting up a large solar array to combat the issue lol.

I wish I opted for the lower power Xeons like the L5640s, I went with dual X5650s because they were only a few bucks more and I knew I wasn't paying for the electricity so I didn't care but the performance gain isn't noticeable between the two.

I just checked one of my production R610s with dual L5640s and the average power usage for last week at 181W with a peak usage of 279W.

-KuJoe

43 minutes ago, Nikolithebear said:

What would a solar array even run cost wise? Especially to feed that much power. 

Well that depends on a lot of things like if you are going to be grid-tied with batteries or without, or not grid-tied. Once you start going down the line of using batteries cost goes way up, wayyyy up, but the efficiency and cost saving goes up too however the return on investment is longer.

Running servers at home actually works out to be rather good for solar systems without batteries as you have reasonably high constant power draw meaning you aren't wasting generated power so you have a higher cost saving. If you have a low constant power draw you really do need to have batteries to make it a worth while investment. General households use more power when there is no sunlight so should be clear why batteries are necessary.

I'd be looking at anywhere from 10k-15k USD (15k-25k NZD) for a fully complete system with batteries including install but it's not likely I'll go that far in to it since I don't know how long I plan to stay at this house. I'll also start small and get it professionally installed so I can qualify for gov grants etc but I'll expand the system myself after that since I can.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Interesting!  Defiantly something to look into! 

"45 ACP because shooting twice is silly!"

P.S. Just orderd a 27U Rack (160bucks Brand New Freeshipping), hopefully it fits the bill if not I can send it back :D Will put an update post when it arrives. 

"45 ACP because shooting twice is silly!"