Home Server Setup Showoff

So I posted it on r/homelab, but the moderator deleted it for, "not enough detail."

So I figured I would post it here: 

I honestly hate the moderator of r/homelab now, because of all the posts that literally have one sentence of detail, he deleted mine.

So I hope you guys can enjoy what I have for you today.

My native language is C++

That's a pretty nice setup you have! Kinda jelly about that spf switch and the UPS :P 

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

39 minutes ago, tt2468 said:

So I posted it on r/homelab, but the moderator deleted it for, "not enough detail."

So I figured I would post it here: 

I honestly hate the moderator of r/homelab now, because of all the posts that literally have one sentence of detail, he deleted mine.

So I hope you guys can enjoy what I have for you today.

I'm sorry i cannot see the RGB strips ... did you forget to turn the RGB on ?

42 minutes ago, tt2468 said:

Love it!  I'm getting my own rack here soon so Ill post pictures of my "home lab" prior to my rack being here.  Also you seem to be the king of deals getting some great hardware for the price!  Once again, love it! 

"45 ACP because shooting twice is silly!"

Tad jelly on the pricing you got for most of that

My HomeLab is not lavish, attractive, or well though out.  However it is functional!  And isn't that the main purpose of a servers life?  Functionality?

Anyways below are some pictures of my home lab with Specs posted as well.  

Note:  I will be getting a rack here soon as it is my birthday tomorrow (April 23rd, Huzzah~)

Top to Bottom:

Cisco 3825 ISR -$50

Test Firewall for virtual firewall for my Ethical Hacking class I'm taking.  Used for testing VPN, Firewall Rules, and other random things I think of at 1am.

Cisco SF200 48+4 PoE 10/100 Managed Switch / 2x Gigabit 2x SFP /

The switch I had before this was an old Netgear 16port gigabit switch I got off ebay and it turns out only half the ports worked.  I ended up hating only having 8 ports to work with so I picked up one of these for 40 dollars and havent looked back sense.  Yeah the 100mbps speed max that I have kinda sucks but I have my NAS hooked up to the second gigabit link and the home network on the primary gigabit link so I can service the rest of the house with maximum power!

Dell r410

I got this on a whim because I found for a steal of 100 bucks and free shipping off ebay.  I added some hard drives to it sense and its turned out to be a good little EXSi Lab.

Specs: 

EXSi 6.5

l5530 x2

8gb Ram (Getting more soon)

2x NICs

2x 300gb SAS 10k Seagate Drives

(Soon to add 2 1tb wd blacks I found on ebay for a steal)

Dell r710

I got this thing because I was running out of VM room on my bottom server and was under the impression that it would be decent as a game server and a NAS.  I was right and wrong on both accounts.  But hey, you only learn from failing am I right?

Specs:

Windows Server 2012r2

l5540 x2

24GB Ram (Possible 64gb upgrade soon)

4x NIC (Adding 4 more because it was 7 dollars on ebay)

1x 10Gb NIC

4x 146gb 15k SAS HDD for main boot

2x 1tb WD Red + 1x 1tb WD Blue in RAID5 as a NAS

Dell r610

This is still my pride and joy and I love it to death.  My r610 is my main home lab running all my simulations for various scenarios i want to learn.   College might have a run for its money!

Specs:

ESXi 6.0

E5540 x2

32GB Ram (Possible 64gb upgrade soon)

4x NIC (Adding 4 more because it was also 7 dollars on ebay)

1x 10Gb NIC

4x 146gb 15k SAS HDD (Adding 2 more soonish)

20170422_175134.jpg

20170422_175115.jpg

20170422_175108.jpg

45 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

Tad jelly on the pricing you got for most of that

I can help you get a dl20 for 400 shipped if you want

WTF how did you get that Gnodal GS7200 for $800?!?! They're all around $2,800 on ebay at the moment >.<

9 minutes ago, leadeater said:

WTF how did you get that Gnodal GS7200 for $800?!?! They're all around $2,800 on ebay at the moment >.<

I didn't buy it, I'm borrowing it from the SSD manufacturer I work for.

I just saw a listing a while ago for $800

I've always wanted to build a physical home lab, but then I realize how much I'm saving on my electric bill each month by keeping it in a data center so I put the checkbook down.

My "home lab" consists of a Ubiquiti ER-Lite 3, a Dell PowerConnect 5324 switch, two Synology NASes, two ODroid C1s, and a bunch of VMs on my desktop. :)

-KuJoe

Just now, KuJoe said:

I've always wanted to build a physical home lab, but then I realize how much I'm saving on my electric bill each month by keeping it in a data center so I put the checkbook down.

My "home lab" consists of a Ubiquiti ER-Lite 3, a Dell PowerConnect 5324 switch, two Synology NASes, two ODroid C1s, and a bunch of VMs on my desktop. :)

The DL20 only actually uses 50 watts idle

2 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

1 minute ago, tt2468 said:

The Dell Servers I have use at idle 100watts... So I understand what he means when you have more then one of them.  However living with parents is a plus~ 

58 minutes ago, tt2468 said:

I can help you get a dl20 for 400 shipped if you want

Tempting - what spec?

Just now, Nikolithebear said:

The Dell Servers I have use at idle 100watts... So I understand what he means when you have more then one of them.  However living with parents is a plus~ 

haha yeah.

I was actually thinking of replacing my r410 with another dl20. The performance per watt of the e3-1240v5 vs 2x l5640s is so much better on the 1240v5. In fact, ffmpeg encodes faster on the dl20 lol

Unfortunately my servers use a significant amount of power not to mention the bandwidth and cooling requirements, I do have a ton of servers laying around but keeping them running 24x7 would be too costly for me. Whereas my "home lab" is less than 100 watts total (excluding my desktop) so for less than $200 I can run the whole thing on solar with a 48 hour run time off the batteries (which I plan to do this summer). :)

-KuJoe

20 minutes ago, tt2468 said:

I didn't buy it, I'm borrowing it from the SSD manufacturer I work for.

I just saw a listing a while ago for $800

I'm still super jealous, been on the hunt for a good 10Gb switch for ages and ideally Layer 3 as well but even a good Layer 2 will be fine. I'm rather skeptical of the Quanta switches which are cheap but it's the firmware/software part that keeps me from buying them.

Just now, leadeater said:

I'm still super jealous, been on the hunt for a good 10Gb switch for ages and ideally Layer 3 as well but even a good Layer 2 will be fine. I'm rather skeptical of the Quanta switches which are cheap but it's the firmware/software part that keeps me from buying them.

Yeah if you want l3, I would recommend not going with gnodal. Their firmware is about as feature rich as a smart switch, because the original team that developed it were just a bunch of hardware engineers.

You also have the option of the quanta lb8, which would probably have more features than the lb6m or lb4m

Yeah if you want l3, I would recommend not going with gnodal. Their firmware is about as feature rich as a smart switch, because the original team that developed it were just a bunch of hardware engineers.

You also have the option of the quanta lb8, which would probably have more features than the lb6m or lb4m

What's the current situation with the firmware? Last time I had a look at these I heard a lot of people saying that Layer 3 features didn't work and you needed to load different firmware on to the switch etc. Been a while so I'm a little hazy on the specific details.

Just now, leadeater said:

What's the current situation with the firmware? Last time I had a look at these I heard a lot of people saying that Layer 3 features didn't work and you needed to load different firmware on to the switch etc. Been a while so I'm a little hazy on the specific details.

Yeah that's the thing...

Quanta is just a hardware manufacturer, and they sell their switches to brands like hp etc, so the features you get are a sort of lottery, depending on the reseller.

I just checked the power usage of one of my R610s and it used an average of 212W last week which would have cost me $20.07 just in electricity (excluding the cost of cooling). Peak usage was 339 watts and would have cost me $32.10 per month, I don't want to see what it would cost me if I pushed it to 100% load. Adding a few of these to my already $300 electric bill would probably cause my wife to throw them in the trash. xD

-KuJoe

5 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

I just checked the power usage of one of my R610s and it used an average of 212W last week which would have cost me $20.07 just in electricity (excluding the cost of cooling). Peak usage was 339 watts and would have cost me $32.10 per month, I don't want to see what it would cost me if I pushed it to 100% load. Adding a few of these to my already $300 electric bill would probably cause my wife to throw them in the trash. xD

I'll let you know how much pain I'm in once I get my 3 dual L5630's up and running along with my IBM x3500 M4, still looking for rackmount cases for them. I plan on putting up a large solar array to combat the issue lol.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I'll let you know how much pain I'm in once I get my 3 dual L5630's up and running along with my IBM x3500 M4, still looking for rackmount cases for them. I plan on putting up a large solar array to combat the issue lol.

What would a solar array even run cost wise? Especially to feed that much power.