How many linux users here  

13 members have voted

1. 1. How many linux users here

• Linux only
    • Dual boot with windows
    • Only linux on one of several computers
    • Dual boot on one of several computers

Just now, Gameborn said:

and still, aren't you need at least one core dedicated to host os that runs virtual machines and i'm not sure that desktop ryzen's support technology to dedicate pci-e slot to vm

It doesn't really currently. Wendell from Level1techs however managed to do it already with some patches of the kernell but still not quite there yet in terms of average users like myself being able to do it without spending far too much time configuring it.

But I am hoping this will become more supported in about 6 months to a year from now. If I build the rig within the next few months I'll probably just put Windows 10 on it and call it a day.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

It doesn't really currently. Wendell from Level1techs however managed to do it already with some patches of the kernell but still not quite there yet in terms of average users like myself being able to do it without spending far too much time configuring it.

But I am hoping this will become more supported in about 6 months to a year from now. If I build the rig within the next few months I'll probably just put Windows 10 on it and call it a day.

naples should support it

7 minutes ago, Gameborn said:

dual boot is always an option

I just don't see myself going to Linux in that case, Windows does do all I want it to do..

But I might throw in a small SSD in my new upcoming build with a Linux install.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, Minibois said:

I just don't see myself going to Linux in that case, Windows does do all I want it to do..

But I might throw in a small SSD in my new upcoming build with a Linux install.

for every-day usage hdd on Linux is more than enough thanks to ext4 unlike windows. After moving to ssd I found windows unusable on hdd but Linux is fine. The only thing is the system load time is usually big

5 minutes ago, Gameborn said:

for every-day usage hdd on Linux is more than enough thanks to ext4 unlike windows. After moving to ssd I found windows unusable on hdd but Linux is fine. The only thing is the system load time is usually big

For me personally, Linux would do 99% of all I need, but Windows does 100% of what I need. I can't think of a practical reason to run Linux.

What I do on my PC is basically browse this forum and watch YouTube videos, I draw stuff (in Krita and previously Gimp, which both have excellent Linux versions) and I occasionally play a game. While I know gaming compatibility is growing, as well as GPU support; it's just not there for all games.

That is basically the 1% holding me back to make it my main OS of choice.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

For me personally, Linux would do 99% of all I need, but Windows does 100% of what I need. I can't think of a practical reason to run Linux.

What I do on my PC is basically browse this forum and watch YouTube videos, I draw stuff (in Krita and previously Gimp, which both have excellent Linux versions) and I occasionally play a game. While I know gaming compatibility is growing, as well as GPU support; it's just not there for all games.

That is basically the 1% holding me back to make it my main OS of choice.

I just like to mess around with stuff like this because I know that I can fix it any time (always have some os install usb stick). The scariest moment was when my power button broke

I use Ubuntu Server for a local web server and a Raspberry Pi as a DNS ad blocker. The rest of my stuff runs Windows 10 Pro

37 minutes ago, Gameborn said:

cool. Which quadro? I think with gpu it can still play games very well 

No, it is a Quadro 600. It can't game :D

Main PC: R7 3700X / Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro Wifi / Radeon RX 5700 XT / 32GB DDR4-3200 / 250GB & 2TB Crucial MX500 (in HP Prodesk 400 Case)

Laptop: R5 2500U / Radeon Vega 8 / 8GB DDR4-2400 / 500GB SK Hynix BC501 (HP Envy x360 13)

My little Server: i7-7700 / Asrock H110M-ITX / 24GB DDR4-2400 / Samsung 860 Pro 250GB & Seagate Firecuda 2TB / VMware ESXi 6.7

(Don't tell me i should Name them, i don't want to ^^)

1 minute ago, TheLaserCucumber said:

No, it is a Quadro 600. It can't game :D

yeah. That one zero

I have it in a VM but I don't use it much. If it has support for Overwatch I'd consider it.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

I quad boot. Two Linux distributions (Ubuntu and Mint*) and two Windows (7 and 10).

*Linux is commonly replaced with various flavors. I like to mess around with 'em.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

1 hour ago, Albatross said:

I quad boot. Two Linux distributions (Ubuntu and Mint*) and two Windows (7 and 10).

*Linux is commonly replaced with various flavors. I like to mess around with 'em.

why to run mint and Ubuntu at the same time, mint is basically Ubuntu with cinnamon

3 hours ago, Gameborn said:

why to run mint and Ubuntu at the same time, mint is basically Ubuntu with cinnamon

It is like I said. The Mint one changes at whim, right now it just so happens to be Mint and before that it was Manjaro. I just like to switch around the OSes, it is fun for me. :)

Ubuntu is my main driver for Linux though I have been thinking of ditching it as 16.04.2 is an utter mess.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |