goodtofufriday

"retro" subforum?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Would it be nice to have?

• Yes
    • No
    • Why would you use old computer parts

Just now, 2Buck said:

Wow, one timer videos when those games first came out and were popular? Yeah... Not good enough.

They have one retro computer video that you mentioned, statistically speaking... So "Yeah... Not good enough."

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

1 minute ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

They have one retro computer video that you mentioned, statistically speaking... So "Yeah... Not good enough."

mentioned before but older tech is talked about in general on shows and in the wan show.

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

8 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Yeah... Uh, no. They have more than a few "history of" videos, they did a retro build, they're gonna do the hotwheels PC, they bring up old hardware a lot on the WAN show, and just recently they did that "10 years of AMD" video. They also mention it plenty of other times that I'm not gonna go digging for.

Do you watch LTT? Because this argument is just dumb and I don't feel like doing it.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Just now, goodtofufriday said:

mentioned before but older tech is talked about in general on shows and in the wan show.

Casually mentioned is a lot different compared to actual content being covered. The only somewhat new video about old PCs is Linus rebuilding his first computer six months ago. The rest are from 6-7 years ago when he was still at NCIX. I also don't see the need to have a section specifically for old hardware. There are already subforums where they would fit. Nobody is stopping anyone from posting about it. Hell, you could even do a retro computing club thread in general discussion if you absolutely want a specific spot to talk about it. 

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Just now, 2Buck said:

Yeah... Uh, no. They have more than a few "history of" videos, they did a retro build, they're gonna do the hotwheels PC, they bring up old hardware a lot on the WAN show, and just recently they did that "10 years of AMD" video. They also mention it plenty of other times that I'm not gonna go digging for.

Do you watch LTT?

Why would I? They do terrible benchmarks and they are catering towards entertainment, not information.

1 minute ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Why would I? They do terrible benchmarks and they are catering towards entertainment, not information.

You don't? Okay, so quit talking like you know what you're talking about. Argument over, thank god. Stupid internet arguments are stupid.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

2 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

3 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Casually mentioned is a lot different compared to actual content being covered. The only somewhat new video about old PCs is Linus rebuilding his first computer six months ago. The rest are from 6-7 years ago when he was still at NCIX. I also don't see the need to have a section specifically for old hardware. There are already subforums where they would fit. Nobody is stopping anyone from posting about it. Hell, you could even do a retro computing club thread in general discussion if you absolutely want a specific spot to talk about it. 

The subject clearly doesnt interest you personally. That doesnt mean it doesnt warrant a subforum or at least a more specific place on the forum. You can just ignore it like you do for other subforums that do not interest you.  

Just now, 2Buck said:

You don't? Okay, so quit talking like you know what you're talking about. Argument over, thank god. Stupid internet arguments are stupid.

I don't see how me not watching LTT videos affects subforums but whatever. lol

2 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

I don't see how me not watching LTT videos affects subforums but whatever. lol

Because this is the LinusTechTips forum...

Just now, 2Buck said:

Because this is the LinusTechTips forum...

I'm here for the community, not the channel itself.

7 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

Older as in WinXP and newer ages. But those are hardly retro. Some about NES and SNES which already fall into console gaming. But in general LTT really isn't into retro tech. If we would use just videos as measurement.

I'll get back to other points made here after work.

E: So the whole talk about this being computer vs tech forum is useless. Linus himself has said the focus of forum is in general tech. Its also useless to relate forum directly with LTT content. They do things on the channel which aren't really within CS of forums. Like old Hackingtosh video, hide you pr0n and even hacking into Windows in some ways. Yes, LTT content is mainly PC hardware or compoters in general. But if you can show more than one video about something which hasn't its own subforum or grouped subforum (like Phones and tablets or Laptops and Pre-builds), I might think again.

As for quiet subforums, Hobby electronics is quiet. Under 25 new threads within 1 week. And under 30 threads which have got replies within last week. Its also one I would imagine retro stuff would fit nicely in. Not getting buried very easily and being about same subject. Building and programming stuff where you need to know bit more than what socket and chipset can handle which CPUs. Even adding retro's part of forum would just mean editing description.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

13 hours ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

I'm here for the community, not the channel itself.

But the channel is still relevant to the content that this forum has, it's the LTT community forum. What you're here for is totally irrelevant to this discussion.

4 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

But the channel is still relevant to the content that this forum has, it's the LTT community forum. What you're here for is totally irrelevant to this discussion.

You're the one that even cared about me actually watching them. Also, what happened to end of argument?

7 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

You're the one that even cared about me actually watching them. Also, what happened to end of argument?

Of course I cared, because this is a discussion about what content should be on the LTT community forum, and if you're not even in the know on LTT content, then you don't have a place in the discussion. Simple, the argument is done and over. I don't even have to respond to you again because my point is made, good day.

E: You marking my post as "funny" makes you look petty and further shows you don't know how to have a conversation. GG No Re

6 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

E: You marking my post as "funny" makes you look petty and further shows you don't know how to have a conversation. GG No R

I'm laughing at your sense of self-worth and entitlement if you must know. 

3 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

I'm laughing at your sense of self-worth and entitlement if you must know. 

Entitlement and self worth? Wow... You're that angry that you were wrong this time that you're pulling stuff out of nowhere and insulting my character? Grow the fuck up. I'm done... I know that you're gonna point out that I just said I wasn't responding again, so have fun with that. You aren't worth the energy, so I'm just ignoring you now, you already make yourself look bad enough. Go ahead and take the last words, I'm letting you have them, I know your ego needs it.

11 minutes ago, LordTaco42 said:

Bring on that sexy beige and round monitors my body is ready...in all seriousness this would be a great idea.

CRTs have a lot of really good advantages...................um.........and...........well.........then there's................Nintendo light gun......and......yeah.  See, I told ya!

4 minutes ago, Doramius said:

CRTs have a lot of really good advantages...................um.........and...........well.........then there's................Nintendo light gun......and......yeah.  See, I told ya!

Hey Melee players love the CRTs ;).  Too bad they're mostly gone and no one really supports them or even accepts them anymore.

12 minutes ago, Doramius said:

For some game consoles they are ideal as theres no input lag.

Also good for older computers that need 15hz and 24hz support.

5 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

For some game consoles they are ideal as theres no input lag.

Also good for older computers that need 15hz and 24hz support.

Actually, there are older non-progressive scan interlaced LCDs out there, and they do work with lightguns, and have no input lag.  They also have composite input.  Not easy to find these days, but they are out there.  Were a lot easier to find in the early 2000's.  However, they'd also fall into the "retro" genre. :wink: :wink:

1 minute ago, Doramius said:

Actually, there are older non-progressive scan interlaced LCDs out there, and they do work with lightguns, and have no input lag.  They also have composite input.  Not easy to find these days, but they are out there.  Were a lot easier to find in the early 2000's.  However, they'd also fall into the "retro" genre. :wink: :wink:

Thats the kind of info that would be nice to see on here!

ive got a old 14" lcd that supports 15hz, wonder if it can do light guns now...

9 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Thats the kind of info that would be nice to see on here!

ive got a old 14" lcd that supports 15hz, wonder if it can do light guns now...

Only if it supports interlacing and has the zero input lag.  Surprisingly, many did work.

I like retro computers.

I have two broken macintosh color classics,

and working:

imac g4 17"

imac g4 15"

powermac g4

ibook g4

2 emac g4's

powermac g4 cube

powered harmon kardon speakers for g4 cube

studio display 15" crt

2 cinema display 22"

Apple Adjustable Keyboard

IBM Model M

IBM Model F

I would be interested

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

2 hours ago, 2Buck said:

Of course I cared, because this is a discussion about what content should be on the LTT community forum...

No, this discussion really isn't about that. This is about should retro hardware have its own subforum or not. And if we want to make that bit broader, what would be the subject getting its own subforum next or would some excising subforum be terminated.

You two have made this into discussion whether this is PC/computer/tech forum or not. Which isn't relevant in this or any other discussion since owner has made his stand pretty clear.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv