Can I use two routers?

sidskofa
Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,
Just now, sidskofa said:

Thanks! 

I can do that just in the router settings right? 

Yes. Have a look to see if the router has an AP Mode. If so, enable it as it basically turns off all the routing functions. If not, you'll want to disable NAT, DHCP and DNS. 

My parents are going to be getting a new router so I was wandering if I could keep using the second one just for myself?

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

no reason two use 2 routers. Just get a second Ap if you want to wireless.

What are ou trying to do?

Just so I can have full control of it. They get really weird about me messing with ports and the router in general.

Just now, sidskofa said:

Just so I can have full control of it. They get really weird about me messing with ports and the router in general.

You can, but if the other router is going in to replace this one, you'll need to disable things like NAT and DHCP in order to avoid conflicts with the other router. You can use it as a switch and/or access point with routing functions turned off just fine. 

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

You can, but if the other router is going in to replace this one, you'll need to disable things like NAT and DHCP in order to avoid conflicts with the other router. You can use it as a switch and/or access point with routing functions turned off just fine. 

Thanks! 

Just now, sidskofa said:

Thanks! 

Yes. Have a look to see if the router has an AP Mode. If so, enable it as it basically turns off all the routing functions. If not, you'll want to disable NAT, DHCP and DNS. 

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

Thanks!

18 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

24 minutes ago, sidskofa said:

Just one notice, you still have to "mess" with the router that your parents don't like you messing with.

21 minutes ago, Fr3dr1k said:

Just one notice, you still have to "mess" with the router that your parents don't like you messing with.

Not if he just wants to use it as an access point and/or switch. Sure, he has to plug a cable in once but that's it. 

If we're talking changing DNS, DHCP, port forwarding etc. then yeah, he'll have to "mess" with the new router. 

1 hour ago, sidskofa said:

You will still need to control the router that's connected to the modem so this won't help at all.