Triple 8 pin ESP Connectors?

Stunt226

Hey all, I've been upgrading my home rendering server and was wondering if anyone knew of a power supply which has 3 (count em) 8 pin EPS connectors. Or 3 4+4 connectors for that matter. So far I haven't managed to find an off the shelf server option. 

If anyone has information regarding where I can get a suitable PSU I would be extremely grateful, I'm also unaware if it's possible to achieve this with a modular PSU and custom cables.

What board?

Normally you can just use spitters or adapters from pcie or molex connectors. CPU's can't use enough power to max out 3x 8 pin eps power connectors.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What board?

Normally you can just use spitters or adapters from pcie or molex connectors. CPU's can't use enough power to max out 3x 8 pin eps power connectors.

This is the board I'm upgrading to. http://www.memory4less.com/supermicro-computer-system-board-for-server-h8qgi-f?rid=90&origin=pla&gclid=CjwKEAjwz9HHBRDbopLGh-afzB4SJABY52oF-rza5s7q8ITj9oRU6MbGYibI_DfUYeDzyq1sKUhH5BoCddPw_wcB

And I'm using 4 Opteron 6176 CPUS which means anywhere between 320 and 440 watts of power draw by the processors alone.

12 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What board?

not any single socket board.... but 3 EPS connections doesn't sound like a single socket board lol.

I think your best bet (if you dont want to molex or whatever) would be to do some research on wiring your own EPS connectors out of a modular power supply. You could probably take something like the normal 8 pin PCIe power connection on a PSU, and run wires from that to a EPS connector and plut it into an EPS header so long as you make sure you have wired things correctly on both ends. So far as I know a PSU isn't doing anything special with its energy to make it more favorable for one item or another, so as long as you correctly wire it I see no reason something like that wouldn't work. I've also never really looked into this myself so I could definitely be wrong, but that would be your best bet.

You may also check server grade PSU's rather than consumer ones. It would seem likely that some manufacturer somewhere would have something to work with a 3-4 slot board in a single unit solution.

Just now, Stunt226 said:

This is the board I'm upgrading to. http://www.memory4less.com/supermicro-computer-system-board-for-server-h8qgi-f?rid=90&origin=pla&gclid=CjwKEAjwz9HHBRDbopLGh-afzB4SJABY52oF-rza5s7q8ITj9oRU6MbGYibI_DfUYeDzyq1sKUhH5BoCddPw_wcB

And I'm using 4 Opteron 6176 CPUS which means anywhere between 320 and 440 watts of power draw by the processors alone.

Those are going to be much slower than you thing. A ryzen 1700 will be about the same speed or faster in most uses, even very multithreaded. And its a modern platform that uses much less power.

For power, Just use a adapter, each plug can handle ~340w so your fine there with 2 plugs.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Those are going to be much slower than you thing. A ryzen 1700 will be about the same speed or faster in most uses, even very multithreaded. And its a modern platform that uses much less power.

For power, Just use a adapter, each plug can handle ~340w so your fine there with 2 plugs.

I'm aware, but frankly I'd rather use the parts I already have. I don't have the cash flow currently to fuel a new Ryzen builld anyway, but I will post a benchmark thread whenever the storage and adapters arrive.

This laptop freak really appreciates the help, I've never dealt with a system that required more than a 500 watt PSU after all.

Maybe use two PSUs?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Alright so addendum to my previous posts, I am absolutely useless (and really tired).

So corrections, the cpus I'm utilizing are 4 6276's and not 6176 cpus which came out the same time the previous year. My agreement as to their mediocre performance is no longer standing since an assembly of 4 6276 have nearly the same passmark score as a Ryzen 1800x (albeit with about half the single threaded performance).