Best "Value" Camera and Laptop

yathis

I want to film a trip, I am doing a bicycle ride of 10 days to test out my setup and work out any problems.
Then after that a 50+ day ride across the content, from Pacific Ocean to Atlantic Ocean.

Is it better to do time lapse like lets say every hour for the time lapse, or go straight video?

What camera should I buy?
will be handle bar mount

What laptop should I buy?
For the trip, downloading the video/time lapse from camera onto laptop, editing it (very little, as this is my first time, just want to add text, comments), WIFI at Starbucks/Library, and emailing sponsors and keeping fans/donaters up to date on my progress.
Maybe a Core2Duo as they are really dirt cheap.

https://www.newegg.ca/Laptops-Notebooks/SubCategory/ID-32?Tid=6741&Order=PRICE
Maybe cheaper to go on Kijiji or Craigslist, find a laptop with dead batteries.

Dirt Cheap, like a few beers cheap
Dell Inspiron 1318

Pentium Dual Core T2390 1.86 GHz (Intel Pentium Dual Core)
13.5"
Battery is weak - Pffft im getting 450 18650 cells in a few days anyway.

$50
Acer Aspire One

no other info

$75
Dell Latitude 2100 Intel Atom 2GB DDR2 500-750GB HDD 10.1in Windows 7 Pro Rugged Business Netbook

ok but what about a camera, there are a lot of cheap Chinese knock offs on Alibaba, Aliexpress, FastTech, DX.com etc

I think all in

Computer $30 if I am lucky, otherwise $100 from classifieds

Video Camera $20-$50 from China

11 minutes ago, yathis said:

ok but what about a camera, there are a lot of cheap Chinese knock offs on Alibaba, Aliexpress, FastTech, DX.com etc

I think all in

Computer $30 if I am lucky, otherwise $100 from classifieds

Video Camera $20-$50 from China

look at old DSLR from a local site like kjji or craglist. 

Edit video on an old iPad maybe? It'll be more portable and the battery will last longer (likely more powerful too, if you get a good one), and you can throw a rugged case on it. For the camera, literally anything will do. Got a phone? You can just about do all this stuff on a single device if you have a reasonable smartphone.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

6 minutes ago, Rangaman42 said:

Edit video on an old iPad maybe? It'll be more portable and the battery will last longer (likely more powerful too, if you get a good one), and you can throw a rugged case on it. For the camera, literally anything will do. Got a phone? You can just about do all this stuff on a single device if you have a reasonable smartphone.

I think time lapse will save storage space, but I could use the storage cloud when I come across free wifi.

Good point @Rangaman42 I have an iPad A1337 sitting right next to me, 64GB too. 1st gen, from 2010,

Battery seems weak but I got lots of usb power banks around.

Showing 1 - 1 of 1

iPad Wi-Fi/3G/GPS (Original/1st Gen) 1.0 GHz Apple A4
apple-ipad.jpg
Intro. January 27, 2010* Disc. March 2, 2011
Order MC349LL/A* Model A1337 (EMC 2328)
Family iPad 3G (Original) ID iPad1,1
RAM 256 MB* VRAM None
Storage 16, 32, 64 GB Optical None
Complete iPad Wi-Fi/3G/GPS (Original/1st Gen) Specs

You serious that iPad is good?

Just now, yathis said:

Good point @Rangaman42 I have an iPad A1337 sitting right next to me, 64GB too. 1st gen, from 2010,

Not sure what year it is, battery seems weak but I got lots of usb power banks around.

Keywords=A1337

Showing 1 - 1 of 1

iPad Wi-Fi/3G/GPS (Original/1st Gen) 1.0 GHz Apple A4
apple-ipad.jpg
Intro. January 27, 2010* Disc. March 2, 2011
Order MC349LL/A* Model A1337 (EMC 2328)
Family iPad 3G (Original) ID iPad1,1
RAM 256 MB* VRAM None
Storage 16, 32, 64 GB Optical None
Complete iPad Wi-Fi/3G/GPS (Original/1st Gen) Specs

You serious that iPad is good?

Oh man, I remember the 1st gen ones. A battery replacement is easy, and it might be fast enough to edit together some video (maybe). You may as well give it a go, test it out with some random editing. But you can definitely edit on an iPad, just not to the same extent as a PC. Plus a Lifeproof case will make it drop resistant and waterproof, and are probably really cheap for a 1st gen.

Just now, Rangaman42 said:

Oh man, I remember the 1st gen ones. A battery replacement is easy, and it might be fast enough to edit together some video (maybe). You may as well give it a go, test it out with some random editing. But you can definitely edit on an iPad, just not to the same extent as a PC. Plus a Lifeproof case will make it drop resistant and waterproof, and are probably really cheap for a 1st gen.

Well I am a desktop pc guy, so I can get by with laptops too, like 14" and above.

I never liked tablets.

Just now, yathis said:

Well I am a desktop pc guy, so I can get by with laptops too, like 14" and above.

I never liked tablets.

Yeah, it's not going to be fun :P just thought I'd mention it's possible, since you're trying to save money and all.

2 hours ago, Rangaman42 said:

trying to save money and all.

Yeah, just trying to get by and have a decent charity campaign.

Maybe do a presentation or something.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Edit - Ok I found the GoPro clone, its cheap too.

What video editing software do I need?

I want it free

I am also using a GoPro for taking videos specially when there are family occasions or whenever  we travel out of town to capture the good sceneries as we go along our travel. Just this April, we went to a wonderful travel destination in Jamaica and I used my GoPro underwater. For editing the videos, I used Windows Movie Maker. It contains features such as video effects, video transitions, adding titles/credits, audio track, timeline narration, and Auto Movie.

Much much much help guys!

Yeah I am buying the GoPro clone for $50usd so I can use all the GoPro stands and accessories.

Just need to figure out how I want to cover my trip across country. I think its best to do time lapse, like 1 picture every 1min30sec then have it sped up while doing the presentation.