Odd/Strange PC crashing/Loosing Power

Hi,

This is my first post here. A friend told me this was a good place to post strange or odd PC problems.

So I've had this issue for about a year now, randomly in some games my computer would just crash, loose all power and turn off. No errors, beeps or warnings before hand. It will restart but get stuck on post to either go into BIOS or the boot menu. Trying to restart normally, even restarting into safe mode it will get stuck.

This doesn't happen in every game, just some.

So far this has just happened to:

Paragon

Warframe

OverWatch

Elite Dangerous

Perhaps another one or two I've just forgotten.

As far as I know this is not a power usage problem. More demanding games have not crashed such as Arma 3, FarCry 4 and fully completed Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain without a single crash, I have ran Prime95 and Unigine heaven on max possible settings for over an hour simultaneously and no crashes.

Here are my specs

Motherboard: MSI X99a SLI Plus

BIOS: 1.B0
GPU: MSI 980ti GAMING 6G

Nvidia Driver: 365.10 (backing to this fixed OverWatch)
CPU: 5820x
RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 3000MHz clocked at 2166MHz

PSU: SeaSonic 660w Platinum Fully Modular

I'm really not sure what else to say, my first post here. Need more details about something just ask. This has gone on for too long. 

Thanks for reading. =]
Jor~

What wattage PSU?

What troubleshooting have you already done? Have you re-installed windows?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

3 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

What wattage PSU?

What troubleshooting have you already done? Have you re-installed windows?

My bad, I should have said that in the original post. I have a SeaSonic 660w Platinum modular PSU. I will edit the post.

2 minutes ago, Jormungardr said:

My bad, I should have said that in the original post. I have a SeaSonic 660w Platinum modular PSU. I will edit the post.

Strange.

usually, those issues are power related, but 660W should be enough.

I'd suggest reconnecting every essential cable in your system. (just disconnect and reconnect the motherboard 24-pin, CPU power connector, PCIe power connectors, and that's it)

I used to have the same problem, and it turned out that my CPU power connector was loose on the PSU side, so every once in a while when I would hit my knee on the desk, it would power off.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

4 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Strange.

usually, those issues are power related, but 660W should be enough.

I'd suggest reconnecting every essential cable in your system. (just disconnect and reconnect the motherboard 24-pin, CPU power connector, PCIe power connectors, and that's it)

I used to have the same problem, and it turned out that my CPU power connector was loose on the PSU side, so every once in a while when I would hit my knee on the desk, it would power off.

For trouble shooting I have tried reseating everything, including cables. Installed Windows 8.1 from W10. Rolled back to the Nvidia driver listed above, that fixed the OverWatch crashes.

For Warframe, changing the graphical settings to low fixed all the crashes. Added maybe 200-300 hours to my total and no crashes on low.
Paragon now crashes within 30seconds of the match actually starting, normally before even leaving spawn. I had assumed this was just the Unreal engine that many say it suffers from memory leak issues, and I could see from the MSI software my Vram usage would peak before a crash. I have no logs to show since the crash is so sudden, nothing is saved.

28 minutes ago, Jormungardr said:

Hi,

This is my first post here. A friend told me this was a good place to post strange or odd PC problems.

So I've had this issue for about a year now, randomly in some games my computer would just crash, loose all power and turn off. No errors, beeps or warnings before hand. It will restart but get stuck on post to either go into BIOS or the boot menu. Trying to restart normally, even restarting into safe mode it will get stuck.

This doesn't happen in every game, just some.

So far this has just happened to:

Paragon

Warframe

OverWatch

Elite Dangerous

Perhaps another one or two I've just forgotten.

As far as I know this is not a power usage problem. More demanding games have not crashed such as Arma 3, FarCry 4 and fully completed Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain without a single crash, I have ran Prime95 and Unigine heaven on max possible settings for over an hour simultaneously and no crashes.

Here are my specs

Motherboard: MSI X99a SLI Plus

BIOS: 1.B0
GPU: MSI 980ti GAMING 6G

Nvidia Driver: 365.10 (backing to this fixed OverWatch)
CPU: 5820x
RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 3000MHz clocked at 2166MHz

PSU: SeaSonic 660w Platinum Fully Modular

For trouble shooting I have tried reseating everything, including cables. Installed Windows 8.1 from W10. Rolled back to the Nvidia driver listed above, that fixed the OverWatch crashes.

For Warframe, changing the graphical settings to low fixed all the crashes. Added maybe 200-300 hours to my total and no crashes on low.
Paragon now crashes within 30seconds of the match actually starting, normally before even leaving spawn. I had assumed this was just the Unreal engine as many say it suffers from memory leak issues, and I could see from the MSI software my Vram usage would peak before a crash. Another Unreal game Dirty Bomb suffered the same fate.

I have no logs to show since the crash is so sudden, nothing is saved.

I'm really not sure what else to say, my first post here. Need more details about something just ask. This has gone on for too long. 

Thanks for reading. =]
Jor~