Corsair RM vs CX PSU

TheRoss0411

Thanks to @WoodenMarker for suggesting the CX over RM

But i want to make sure the CX is better value for money (£40 Cheaper)

Is there a noticeable difference ?

Thanks

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

CX is cheaper. There is a noticeable difference. The RM series are very silent, fully modular and 80PLUS Gold certified. The CX series are the bare essentials. They deliver power, they're only 80PLUS Bronze certified, they're not necessarily modular, if you buy the modular version they're still not fully modular, and honestly they are quite noisy.

CX is cheaper. There is a noticeable difference. The RM series are very silent, fully modular and 80PLUS Gold certified. The CX series are the bare essentials. They deliver power, they're only 80PLUS Bronze certified, they're not necessarily modular, if you buy the modular version they're still not fully modular, and honestly they are quite noisy.

Which would you recommend is the RM silent enough for the money, and is the CX bearable enough ?

What does it mean by semi modular ?

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

Thanks to @WoodenMarker for suggesting the CX over RM

But i want to make sure the CX is better value for money (£40 Cheaper)

Is there a noticeable difference ?

Thanks

The RM series is very quiet. The cx series isn't. They do the job the same. 

They're not that loud at all...

Which would you recommend is the RM silent enough for the money, and is the CX bearable enough ?

There's nothing to 'bear with' other than the questionable sleeving over the cables.

Semi modular means the cables that you need to use are already preattached to the psu and not detachable.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

That some of the most essential power cables are not detachable (on the CX series I believe it's the 24pin and 8pin). I personally own a CX750 that I use as backup. I would not run it in an everyday rig, but I am kind of a silence freak. I definitely think the RM series are worth the money. :)

That some of the most essential power cables are not detachable (on the CX series I believe it's the 24pin and 8pin). I personally own a CX750 that I use as backup. I would not run it in an everyday rig, but I am kind of a silence freak. I definitely think the RM series are worth the money. :)

i dont think its worth the extra 64$ in UK, especially because there are better bang for buck power supplys. why corsair??? 

i dont think its worth the extra 64$ in UK, especially because there are better bang for buck power supplys. why corsair??? 

The original comparison was between two Corsair PSU's so those are what I have compared. A powersupply is a long term investment that will hopefully follow you through more than one build, and that being said paying an extra $64 seems perfectly reasonable to have a silent, fully modular and more efficient PSU.

They seem to have better deals in the UK

And i like them :)

The CX is based lower-end, entry level platform with lower quality parts and offer worse electrical performance. The RM also offer more in the functionality aspect (fully modular, silence optimization, warranty, and Corsair Link support). For a person, investing a lot of money on a new high-end gaming computer, I typically recommend a PSU of higher quality than the CX (except for maybe the CX750 as that a different design form the lower wattage units) with an independent regulated or DC-DC regulated design (like the RM).

In the same price range as the £55 CX600M, you could get the OCZ ZT 550w. It's offer full modularity, better component choice, and is less susceptible to large voltage changes cause by an "imbalanced" load on the rails due to it's independent regulation scheme rather than the group-regulated scheme on the CX.

RM Series is definitely higher quality, quieter and fully modular.  However they don't use seasonic OEM's so they aren't an automatic win for me.

• 1 year later...

my rm750 barely has the fan running if that doesnt make you understand how much more efficiant it it nothing will. the rm 750 of mine has a dust vent over it on my case and there is next to no dust buildup at all so i know it barely runs.

CA-RIP, Cz up hoes down, bang these hoes out with my rounds.

my rm750 barely has the fan running if that doesnt make you understand how much more efficiant it it nothing will. the rm 750 of mine has a dust vent over it on my case and there is next to no dust buildup at all so i know it barely runs.

deffinitly worth the money

Both PSUs aren't great. What system will you be running? The RM has been having some issues recently with running at all, and clicking noises, and the CX PSUs are just cheaply built from the off. There are much better options available from Seasonic/SuperFlower/Delta OEM, especially at the expensive prices of the RM PSUs.

i5 4670k - Z87X-UD3H - EVGA GTX 670 Sig 2 - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 8GB Avexir Core White 1600Mhz - Corsair 750D w/ RGB LED Mod & Remote Control - 2x SP120 - 3x Enermax Cluster - 2TB Seagate SSHD - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W 

Both PSUs aren't great. What system will you be running? The RM has been having some issues recently with running at all, and clicking noises, and the CX PSUs are just cheaply built from the off. There are much better options available from Seasonic/SuperFlower/Delta OEM, especially at the expensive prices of the RM PSUs.

I made this post around a year and a half ago. I have already built my PC and i went with the RM 650. You are a little late to the party

Wow lol, I only saw this after it popped up! Sorry :D

i5 4670k - Z87X-UD3H - EVGA GTX 670 Sig 2 - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 8GB Avexir Core White 1600Mhz - Corsair 750D w/ RGB LED Mod & Remote Control - 2x SP120 - 3x Enermax Cluster - 2TB Seagate SSHD - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W 

Wow lol, I only saw this after it popped up! Sorry :D

It's fine it made me laugh

Corsair are overpriced, and I've heard a lot that the CX series are just overpriced, cheaper units. Honestly, if you want good quality, EVGA makes really nice G2 series for I believe cheaper than the RM series. 

EDIT: Just realized this is an old post. I read most of the posts in it but didn't see the one where you said you've already built.

PC and Peripherals:

Intel Core i3 4150 @3.5GHz - ASRock H97M Anniversary - Kingston Fury HyperX Black 8GB DDR3 @1866MHz - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 G1 Gaming 2GB GDDR5 - EVGA 500W 80+ Certified - WD Caviar Blue 1TB - WD Caviar Blue 160GB - Lian Li PC-50 - Linux Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS - Acer P221w 21.5" 1680x1050 60Hz - Kingston Fury HyperX Clouds - Razer Deathadder 3.5G - CM Storm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues

I made this post around a year and a half ago. I have already built my PC and i went with the RM 650. You are a little late to the party

eh still good for anyone who has a similar question who can find this.

I didn't notice that. I was going to weigh in when you pointed out the date. So easy to miss! So, one year in, how do you like the RM650? Are you happy that you spent the extra money? Has it met your expectations?

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!