x99 deluxe, updated bios now every USB devices stops working 5-10 minutes after starting PC

NickTheMajin

Not sure how to fix this. On average 5-10 minutes after starting my computer, all of my USB devices disconnect. Mouse, keyboard, dac, both hard drives and wireless controller adapter. It forces me to hard reset my PC because I can't even plug a second mouse in. No usb ports function. Once my PC starts, USB ports function normally again for 5-10 minutes till the problem happens again. 

Any ideas? 

Revert to previous BIOS version.

Also, don't update a BIOS unless you're trying to fix a problem.

Does you mum know you're here?

Could the problem also ly in the board? Just a thought.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 7 5800x
  • Motherboard
    Asus ROG Strix B550
  • RAM
    Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200MHz 32GB (16x2)
  • GPU
    EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080TI
  • Case
    Fractal Design Define R5
  • Storage
    WD Black SN750 500GB NVMe SSD | WD Green 2TB HD | WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 850W
  • Display(s)
    Asus 1920x1080p 144hz
  • Cooling
    Cooler Master Master Liquid 240
  • Keyboard
    Logitech Pro TKL
  • Mouse
    Logitech G502
  • Sound
    Logitech G733
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

9 minutes ago, NickTheMajin said:

Not sure how to fix this. On average 5-10 minutes after starting my computer, all of my USB devices disconnect. Mouse, keyboard, dac, both hard drives and wireless controller adapter. It forces me to hard reset my PC because I can't even plug a second mouse in. No usb ports function. Once my PC starts, USB ports function normally again for 5-10 minutes till the problem happens again. 

Any ideas? 

What version is your motherboard, I have the deluxe ll and do not have this issue 

Just now, iamthecpu said:

What version is your motherboard, I have the deluxe ll and do not have this issue 

3505. The latest version. 

The reason I updated is because I recently bought a Samsung 960 pro and the newer bios updates offered m.2 fixes. 

The safe bet is to go back to the previous bios version and then use a pcie riser card to m.2 to get the 950 pro to work

29 minutes ago, iamthecpu said:

The safe bet is to go back to the previous bios version and then use a pcie riser card to m.2 to get the 950 pro to work

Yes, rolling back to the previous version is the best idea.

That board comes with a PCIE riser card, as well as a vertical m.2 mount on the board itself.

But unless you're having a specific problem, if you don't need to update the BIOS, don't mess with it.

Does you mum know you're here?

Well I left my computer on overnight and all the USB ports remained working on all night. But ten minutes into overwatch, it happened again. 

I have noticed that not all of my 3.0 ports stop working. Two on the back remain working. The rest on the back and on the front stop. 

Installed the second to most recent bios update and still have the same problem. All the usb devices work fine till I start playing overwatch which then proceeds to shut off all of my usb drives till I restart. Funnily enough I can unplug my mouse from the non working usb port and plug it into my keyboards passthrough fine. 

When I enter device manager, every time I restart I see more entries of generic USB hub and USB composite device. More and more get added everytime I restart my PC to recover my usb drives. This is the current list

Asmedia USB Root Hub

Asmedia USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller

Generic Superspeed USB Hub

Generic SuperSpeed USB Hub

Generic USB Hub

Generic USB Hub

Generic USB Hub

Generic USB Hub

Intel R C610 Series/x99 chipset USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 -8D2D

Intel R C610 Series/x99 chipset USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 -8D26

Intel USB 3.0 exTensible Host Controller -1.0 Microsoft

USB Composite Device

USB Composite Device

USB Composite Device

USB Composite Device

USB Composite Device

USB Mass Storage Device

USB Mass Storage Device

USB Root Hub

USB Root Hub

USB Root Hub (USB 3.0)

I have a yeti mic, two hard drives, a Dragonfly DAC, wireless adapter for Xbox one, blackwidow and naga connected to USB. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same exact problem on my x99 Deluxe BIOS 3505. Quite often, I have to remote in and the USB Root Hub (USB 3.0) driver says that there's been an issue. Sometimes, I don't get an error at all. I set my bios to default settings (no o.c.) and this still happens frequently. I've reverted to BIOS 3402 and this still happens.

The next time I get this issue I'm rolling all the way back to 2101.

EDIT:
After going through different BIOS's, I'm going with the conclusion that this is a Windows 10 Creators Update issue...

Edited by Hirorir
Additional info

11 hours ago, Hirorir said:

I have the same exact problem on my x99 Deluxe BIOS 3505. Quite often, I have to remote in and the USB Root Hub (USB 3.0) driver says that there's been an issue. Sometimes, I don't get an error at all. I set my bios to default settings (no o.c.) and this still happens frequently. I've reverted to BIOS 3402 and this still happens.

The next time I get this issue I'm rolling all the way back to 2101.

EDIT:
After going through different BIOS's, I'm going with the conclusion that this is a Windows 10 Creators Update issue...

Yeah I updated the bios and installed the creators edition update at the same time. 

I "fixed it" by just rearranging where I had devices plugged in. Our motherboard has two different USB hubs. Intel and asmedia. I just put half my devices on one and half on the other. Never was an issue putting everything on intel before but whatever. Putting half on asmedia fixed them shutting off. 

Weird windows glitch. Reverting bioses did not help at all. 

• 7 months later...

I'm having that same issue on an X99-A II when I use actively my logitech webcam C920, 

After x minutes of skype, stream, or fb call, all of my usbs peripherals disconnect and then reconnect, but the mic and webcam are still not working unless I manually deselect and reselect them in my setup here and there. 

I updated my bios and the update from Asus says "Improved DRAM stability, Fix Logitech devices issue", it's the Version 1801 from 2017-11-24...

Any ideas? Thank you guys.