AMD vs i7 6800k CAD stuff help

Hi, so Im stuck on an i7 3700. Its getting old now, and although its still a really strong for gaming and general day to day stuff, I think I need a change.

AMD is looking good at the moment but Im not sure. I was looking at the i7 6800k before hand, but Im just not sure. My price range on cpu is £380 (UK) and im not sure what to do. I like the idea of 8 cores vs 6 cores, but AMD seems to have lots of bugs etc. I have budgeted to go for an 1800x if it was really the best.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, maybe a server would be better :D

What CAD software do you use? 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Yeah depending on the cad software you may not even be able to use more than a couple of cores anyways

also what do you do in that software, some times ram might be more important. do you run simulations or renders?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

14 minutes ago, alexjt11 said:

Hi, so Im stuck on an i7 3700. Its getting old now, and although its still a really strong for gaming and general day to day stuff, I think I need a change.

AMD is looking good at the moment but Im not sure. I was looking at the i7 6800k before hand, but Im just not sure. My price range on cpu is £380 (UK) and im not sure what to do. I like the idea of 8 cores vs 6 cores, but AMD seems to have lots of bugs etc. I have budgeted to go for an 1800x if it was really the best.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, maybe a server would be better :D

Ok, heres what I would do - a lot of the bugs you are reading about is related to ram speeds and yes they are there. Ryzen wants single sided Samsung B die ram. This basically means:

1) CAS 14 3200mhz ram

2) CAS 16 3600mhz ram

No more than 8gb per stick as most 16gb sticks are dual sided.

The lower CAS ram is more expensive than it's higher CAS counterpart, so:

Ditch the 1800X, nearly every 1700 clocks just as high. With the money saved get a good quality set of 16gb CAS 16 3600mhz ram and a good motherboard with an External clock generator - this allows BCLK overclocking and its currently limited to Asus Crosshair 6, AsRock Taichi X370/Fatality and Gigabyte Gaming K7

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Ooo that's tough. I love both my 1700 and my 6800k. Honestly you can't go wrong. I don't see any benefit paying the extra $100 for the 6800k other than more bugs have been figured out. 

That being said I haven't had a single problem with Ryzen since I got my overclocks set, and tested. 4.0GHz and 3200MHz RAM

21 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

What CAD software do you use? 

13 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yeah depending on the cad software you may not even be able to use more than a couple of cores anyways

12 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

also what do you do in that software, some times ram might be more important. do you run simulations or renders?

Solidworks 2016. Sorry for forgetting this :D

3 minutes ago, alexjt11 said:

That's fine. I just asked so we can see if it's optimized for more cores, or a higher clock speed. :)

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

4 minutes ago, alexjt11 said:

how big/complex are your assemblies?

run any simulations or renders?

I never had a big issue with CPU performance, only GPU when I have a lot of parts on screen. I didn't deal with stuff that has a lot of constraints so that could use up some CPU power calculating for that.

I have used Solidworks, Inventor, AutoCAD, Microstation

5 minutes ago, alexjt11 said:

That's pretty single threaded. If you're not using anything else hell a 7700k might be your best option.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

That's pretty single threaded. If you're not using anything else hell a 7700k might be your best option.

That is not true, some things have to be single threaded but the application is multi threaded. and there are workloads that will use multi threads.

10 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

how big/complex are your assemblies?

run any simulations or renders?

I never had a big issue with CPU performance, only GPU when I have a lot of parts on screen. I didn't deal with stuff that has a lot of constraints so that could use up some CPU power calculating for that.

I have used Solidworks, Inventor, AutoCAD, Microstation

I have around 500 parts per assembly on average, and I need to render a lot of what I do for clients.

Ow and some simulations, but I haven't really put serious time into it.

The rendering times are what cripple me when im working.

2 minutes ago, alexjt11 said:

I have around 500 parts per assembly on average, and I need to render a lot of what I do for clients.

Ow and some simulations, but I haven't really put serious time into it.

The rendering times are what cripple me when im working.

then 1800x is that you want. basically core x Hz =  faster render times (not a perfect formula). if you get FPS lag that is a GPU issue.

Just now, The Benjamins said:

then 1800x is that you want. basically core x Hz =  faster render times (not a perfect formula). if you get FPS lag that is a GPU issue.

Would a server be an easier option?

Just now, alexjt11 said:

Would a server be an easier option?

to off shore renders? I have never used that, but the only advantage would be to be able to work while a render is being processed. if you can let the render run over night or after you are done then a server might not be helpful but if you want to render but continue working on the models the server will help.

Just now, The Benjamins said:

to off shore renders? I have never used that, but the only advantage would be to be able to work while a render is being processed. if you can let the render run over night or after you are done then a server might not be helpful but if you want to render but continue working on the models the server will help.

alright cheers. 1800x it is.

3 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

At the very least though a 1700 would be a better option.

11 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

That is not true, some things have to be single threaded but the application is multi threaded. and there are workloads that will use multi threads.

Some are single threaded some are multi. Wouldn't a 6800k be a better balance?

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/SOLIDWORKS-2017-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700X-1800X-Performance-908/

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

Just now, alexjt11 said:

alright cheers. 1800x it is.

I highly recommend a 1700 instead, OCs as well for cheaper.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I highly recommend a 1700 instead, OCs as well for cheaper.

Just what I was going to say. It's cheaper, and you just OC it to be as fast as an 1800X.

Main PC 

i have never used solidowrks to render things. i was unaware there was even a function like that in solidworks. i would say that for the most part alot of the solidworks doesn't utilize many cores so you may not see as much benefit from alot of cores besides in the tasks that can actually utilize them like rendering. although i haven't used the rendering feature so idk how well it utilizes the cores either. 

2 minutes ago, alexjt11 said:

@The Benjamins what do you think to what they are saying? 1700???

If you plan on overclocking the 1700 is a good deal can hit 3.8 easy many will hit 4.0 which would be the same OC achievable on the 1800x, the only reason to get a 1800x is if you plan on NOT overclocking.

26 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

At the very least though a 1700 would be a better option.

Some are single threaded some are multi. Wouldn't a 6800k be a better balance?

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/SOLIDWORKS-2017-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700X-1800X-Performance-908/

I never in countered a issue with single thread performance on a i5 2500(work machine) on a modem processor it is not a big deal. you will run into rendering wall or GPU issues before the single thread issue plays effect. (in my experience)

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

I never in countered a issue with single thread performance on a i5 2500(work machine) on a modem processor it is not a big deal. you will run into rendering wall or GPU issues before the single thread issue plays effect. (in my experience)

Fair enough, though 1800x still isn't worth going for. 1700 is still the king.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Fair enough, though 1800x still isn't worth going for. 1700 is still the king.

ya but I don't want to assume he wants to OC it. if not 1700x is good value 1800x is if he really needs the speed. 1700 is if he plans to OC or just wants the entry 8 core.