TMXDesk ~ Full Desk Enclosed Liquid Cooled Case

Hello friends

My name is TMX and I'm from Vancouver, Canada. I'm posting a build log of a project I'm working on.

I originally started posting this on overclock.net but i thought you guys might be interested as well.
I was inspired by L3P's wall mounted desk design and decided I wanted to make something similar. The idea of a self-contained desk-case with no wires hanging out really appeals to me. That being said I'm also designing a leg-mounted version in case I move and it is unfeasible to wall-mount a desk in the new space.
I'm using Autodesk Inventor to design the desk specifications.

Here's the layout design with major pieces included:

DesignDiagram.JPG.96b3506f5667a51b0e712cde599c3935.JPG

The desk measures roughly:
Width: 50"
Depth: 24"
Height: 7"

(For you metric folks that's roughly 1300mm wide, 600mm deep and 180mm tall.)

I don't like flat, square, boring objects, so I've created a slanted edge case with beveled edges. All the edges have a nice .25" fillet as well to give it a nice rounded look.
The idea is to create a central desk piece that is suspended within a rectangular metal frame. The metal frame is then attached and supported by detachable wall mounts or legs.
The frame will most likely be made out of high strength aluminum or possibly thin stainless steel. Depending on cost and availability.

Heres a quick gif:

7226feeb_DeskComp.gif.a8423594b1ae311c7afd02512dfaaf24.gif

Here's some images of the design in wall mount format:

DesignWall01.JPG.6b5e6e617ba61b6fc45fa8531a5ab056.JPG

DesignWall03.JPG.8f3907a53cc992ac6613a3ce306b9416.JPG

DesignWall02.JPG.a5c0b5eea3220f74065df184ddfbdc4c.JPG

Here's some images of the design in Leg mount format:Design02.jpg.756c6775e5d5d996157c4e8ff2d91cc4.jpg

Design03.jpg.196ebfbd2d5ef50b2f5118a57922d417.jpg

I've got my parts and water loop planned out, but its going to take some time to order all the parts. Some are out of stock so I may need to wait a bit.
Unlike L3P I have neither the vendor or financial support so progress will be made when I have either the time or money do to so. My apologies in advance for the pace of progress.
Little by little this project will get done.

I've got more updates to post so bear with me.
Feedback and comments welcome!

10 minutes ago, TMXmod said:

Hello friends
-snip-

Why leave the right side empty? could fit two systems in that computer case if you wanted :) like 1 be intel, and 1 be AMD if you have the cash

4 hours ago, ZeusXI said:

Why leave the right side empty? could fit two systems in that computer case if you wanted :) like 1 be intel, and 1 be AMD if you have the cash

Hey ZeusXI,

The right side actually isn't empty. That's where HDD's will go. I just didn't waste my time modeling them in Inventor because I thought it was unnecessary. There's actually a lot more going in this desk component-wise than what you see in that diagram. I'm not showing things ahead of time because I want there to be some surprise involved.

Regarding 2 systems (like that red harbinger desk) I don't really see the point unless you do a lot of video/3D rendering. There is totally room for 2 PC's though. Especially if they are mATX.

Big post coming up tomorrow.

The original design followed in L3P's footsteps using aluminum sheet metal pressed into a box but that was extremely limiting in terms of design. It also meant if I wanted to produce more of these things for other people in the future they would need to be individually pressed and welded each time.

What I decided was to use acrylic plexiglass. This allowed me the most freedom in terms of design. Acrylic ABS comes in many different colors, thickness and finishes. For my design I'm using 1/4" thick high gloss black acrylic sheet. I worked with a local plastics company to CNC a thermoforming mold. It's already finished and they've formed the first part.

The bucket is finished! (I'm referring to the plastic housing of the desk as the "bucket").

Sorry for the poor quality of these photos, there's not a lot of sunshine here in Vancouver right now. I'll try to figure out a better setup for taking photos. Also I'll properly dust the bucket next time =D

IMG_7872.JPG.3e56486b82c4bcef180afb2731dd13cc.JPG

IMG_7855.JPG.9a2502e205c73d57f8fdec23f451a8d1.JPG

IMG_7878.JPG.a7c25268631e17b7162fd12836becdb2.JPG

IMG_7898.JPG.6a30f1aab6710b2410202f95269f544c.JPG

I'll be picking up more pieces, such as the inner wall on monday.

Very nice! Can't wait to see the finished project.. Im currently working on a desk pc myself I love your "bucket" idea. How will you attach components to this?

On 4/17/2017 at 11:15 AM, Carlos.33193 said:

Very nice! Can't wait to see the finished project.. Im currently working on a desk pc myself I love your "bucket" idea. How will you attach components to this?

Hey Carlos,

I'm planning to drill holes from the outside-in, for the components and spacers. The holes will be countersunk and I'll be using black flat screws. heres a picture if you aren't familiar with countersinking:

countersink.gif.0cd07cb7ad430d063e8293bc997ab08e.gif

The mobo will be on a set of half-inch cylinders like these:

200-Pieces-Black-font-b-Nylon-b-font-M3-x-10mm-Female-font-b-PCB-b.jpg.f90576e41e78a230f5b8bc12f055af9b.jpg

The great thing is because its acrylic, you don't need any special tools to modify or punch holes in this design. Just a simple drill will do.

Good luck with your desk design!