mITX breifcase computer?

xaviersykora

Hello I was wondering If it would be possible to fit a mini-itx computer in a wide briefcase? I was thinking about how I have been trying to find a small portable enclosure for a mITX pc. I was looking at the TU 100 but it is pretty expensive, and I think it would be fun to build a computer in a briefcase. For the GPU(VCGGTX7602XPB) I was thinking I would get a PCIe 16x riser cable and set it up so the I/O would be on the side. And I would have the motherboard(GA-Z87N-WIFI) I/O on the same side of the briefcase. I want to use an ATX PSU(CX430M) but I'm not sure if it will fit. I will be using 2 HDDs and an SSD. Ill be using a 4670K and will be doing some overclocking. So what are your thoughts?

It has been done before, but cooling might take some creativity to implement without making it look stupid. 

Error: 410

Yes you can. Just be careful and minimize the moving parts.

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

I have a backpack computer. There's no reason why you can't get a mITX chassis, mount it into a briefcase. 

Take one of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108196 and hack it apart! 

[TRUENO] i7 4770k (~4.4Ghz, 1.28v) || Thermalright Macho 120 || Asus Z87 Gryphon || 2x8Gb Mushkin Blackline|| Reference NVIDIA GTX770 || Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB || 2x3TB WD HDD || Corsair 350D || Corsair RM750

Doable. It just depends how good you're at planning. Starting some sketches, diagrams, or 3d models would help with specific feedback other than 'yeah, you can'.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I wouldn't go with Haswell as it gets pretty hot.. I would go with a 3570(k?) and a z77 board instead. The best idea would be to get an APU due to how little room it'l take since you won't need a GPU, could this wait for Kaveri? You could use a really small cooler like an NH-L9i. 

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ Stock, CPU cooler: Dark Rock 4, Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX, RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 @ 3000Mhz, GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 ACX 3.0, SSD: Crucial P1 1TB M.2 + 2x120GB SSDs, Case: Corsair 110R, PSU: Corsair TX650M, OS: Windows 10 64-bit.

I wouldn't go with Haswell as it gets pretty hot.. I would go with a 3570(k?) and a z77 board instead. The best idea would be to get an APU due to how little room it'l take since you won't need a GPU, could this wait for Kaveri? You could use a really small cooler like an NH-L9i. 

Considering the fact that this will be mobile, Haswell would be a great option. Haswell with it's low wattage need compared to previous generation core processors would be suited for this build.

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Considering the fact that this will be mobile, Haswell would be a great option. Haswell with it's low wattage need compared to previous generation core processors would be suited for this build.

If he wants to use a dedicated graphics card it's going to have a high power draw anyway. I just think the small space and high heat output wouldn't go down very well.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ Stock, CPU cooler: Dark Rock 4, Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX, RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 @ 3000Mhz, GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 ACX 3.0, SSD: Crucial P1 1TB M.2 + 2x120GB SSDs, Case: Corsair 110R, PSU: Corsair TX650M, OS: Windows 10 64-bit.

I agree, but the cooling is a big part of this. How small do you think I could fit all of these things together? Also DO you think I could do some decent overclocking?

If he wants to use a dedicated graphics card it's going to have a high power draw anyway. I just think the small space and high heat output wouldn't go down very well.

Do you think I could put a 760 and a 3570k with some overclocking with a 430w 80 plus bronze?

I agree, but the cooling is a big part of this. How small do you think I could fit all of these things together? Also DO you think I could do some decent overclocking?

For haswell, yeah! The only problem is the fact that overclocking will out put more heat compared to others.

Do you think I could put a 760 and a 3570k with some overclocking with a 430w 80 plus bronze?

No. A 600W would be the most sufficient with overclocking.

I have a 4.2 Overclock on a 3570k with an H60. You can use an H60. The 760 should be fine, even with a 400w PSU. 

I run that and an overclocked 7770 on a 300w PSU.

[TRUENO] i7 4770k (~4.4Ghz, 1.28v) || Thermalright Macho 120 || Asus Z87 Gryphon || 2x8Gb Mushkin Blackline|| Reference NVIDIA GTX770 || Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB || 2x3TB WD HDD || Corsair 350D || Corsair RM750

For haswell, yeah! The only problem is the fact that overclocking will out put more heat compared to others.

I have a 4.2 Overclock on a 3570k with an H60. You can use an H60. The 760 should be fine, even with a 400w PSU. 

I run that and an overclocked 7770 on a 300w PSU.

If I was to buy a 4670(non K) and a Asus GTX 670 Direct CU mini I would save more space, loose the overclocking, I wouldn't have to buy a bigger PSU and I would get more GPU performance(with a smaller card)

EDIT: What I said was wrong, remove this post

670 has less/similar performance to a 760, the GPU architecture in the 670 is older and wider meaning that it takes more power. The 760 would be a better choice than the 670.

They.. are the same card....

They.. are the same card....

My bad, thought the 7xx series had a smaller die size.

My bad, thought the 7xx series had a smaller die size.

Nope. Just the same rebrand trend NVIDIA has. 760 is the 660Ti/670 rebranded. Most go for the 760 since it's cheaper than a conventional 670.

670 has less/similar performance to a 760, the GPU architecture in the 670 is older and wider meaning that it takes more power. The 760 would be a better choice than the 670.

The 760 is the next gen 660 Ti not 670. They ARE the same GPU architecture, but the 670 has more CUDA cores(which ill use) and has a larger memory bus, and is REALLY SMALL.

The 760 is the next gen 660 Ti not 670. They ARE the same GPU architecture, but the 670 has more CUDA cores(which ill use) and has a larger memory bus, and is REALLY SMALL.

This. 660Ti shares the same chip as the 670 but is lower binned and has less cores.

This. 660Ti shares the same chip as the 670 but is lower binned and has less cores.

Yeah but the Direct CU mini is VERY small, and like you said has more CUDA cores which I will use since I do lots of GPU acceleration.

Yeah but the Direct CU mini is VERY small, and like you said has more CUDA cores which I will use since I do lots of GPU acceleration.

Only reason for that is cause they use the reference design. Original design were shot and had fan extenders. If you need the cores, I'd say go for iit but the Mini will be having a higher price tag.

Only reason for that is cause they use the reference design. Original design were shot and had fan extenders. If you need the cores, I'd say go for iit but the Mini will be having a higher price tag.

I know Im wondering if the extra $70 is worth not OCing.

I know Im wondering if the extra $70 is worth not OCing.

Well the cooling isn't exactly made for overclocking. Asus has that premium to "popularize" ITX builds.

Well the cooling isn't exactly made for overclocking. Asus has that premium to "popularize" ITX builds.

so should I go for OCing or GTX 670