Ikea Kallax Build

Para94

Hi Guys,

so as the topics suggests I am thinking about building an PC into my Kallax.

I had the idea before but decided to build in an Core V1 from Thermaltake, which fits in there. 

But as it needs to take air from the sides and an custom AIO is just a nightmare in that case I want to upgrade. 

Another reason is that I want to upgrade from my m-ITX to an Micro-ATX and in that step to Ryzen.

Current Setup:

Case: Core V1

Motherboard: MSI Z97i Gaming ACK

CPU: Intel Core I7 4790k

CPU-Cooler: Rajinitek Pallas

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW

SSD: 2x Samsung Evo 256gb

HDD: WD Green 1TB

Upcoming Changes:

Case: DIY Kallax Case

Motherboard: Any Ryzen M-ATX or ATX

CPU: Ryzen 5

So I though about it and didnt an amateur sketchup design... Still with a m-itx board just to see how much space there would be left... The outer case is 33*33*33cm long, although the deepth of kallax is about 37cm but wanna leave somespace to connectors.

This is just the first sketchup and i am planning to improve it and add some things.

But before I start building an finalizing my Design I have some questions:

Do you have any Idea how i could set up the front ? cause I want it to look nice and clean so no Radiators or fans to be seen. I thought about some custom Mesh maybe or something like that.

Also would you change the fans to 120mm ? Or leave them 140mm...

Also what would you think about an 3 Chamber System, so that the PSU and the storage are in different chambers?

Please give me any feedback you have on this build, because I really want to have an good functioning and well cooled PC :)

current.jpg

Kallax Case.jpg

Kallax side.jpg

Kallax Case incl Graphicscard.jpg

Kallax.JPG

That's pretty good, I have the same shelf line and it should work really well

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

What's the point in the fans for the bottom compartment? :D 

I'm sure your PSU and SSDs would be fine without those fans...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

I have them because I might wanna add a custom waterloop with two 240 or even 280 rads . But only if I add the gpu to it.. that's why I am not sure atm

Ok I thought a little bit more about my design, especially about keeping it as clean as possible.
My Kallax is about 5cm of the wall which I will use to seperate hot and cold air.

In the following pictures I tried it with an 140mm fan on the bottom chamber where the PSU sits, however after thinking about it for a while I will replace it with an 120mm fan, as i then hav more space in the second chamber. 

I will probably turn the fan of my PSU so I have a second intake. Also I am think about doing an bottom plate and about moving the front cover a little bit forward to only be 1 plate of wood (easier to get and cut). 

I know that the radiator is the wrong way round but i havent found any other radiator model and thats just an showcase how i want to mount it. Yes it is a close fit with the graphicscard but i hope it changes as I change to 120mm Fans and maybe use a little bit higher standoffs for the motherboard :)

Feel free to leave some feedback and if u think i have an good enough airflow :)

Kallax right side.jpg

Kallax Back.jpg

kallax left.jpg

Overhauled the case to use the real components sizes and to make it better :)

Also I added a cutout for the Front I/O an I calculated the Wood cost. I will use the 12mm thick wood. 

As I/O I will go for the Lian Li I/O

So here is the estimated cost:

Wood: ~3 * 0,66m2 ~ 2m² * 10€ = 20€

Front: I/O: 29€

Fans: Additional 2 Nactua NF F12 ~20€*2

Motherboard Standoffs: Amazon ~6€

L-Brackets: Amazon ~7€ + Amazon ~10€

~112 € (72€ without Noctua fans)

Everthing else I have lying around here, like the AIO-Watercooler, some other screws etc.

Also I am thinking to save money to take a simple switch but i am not sure about that, as i dont want to give up my front usb-ports :)

Maybe I am using the stock Aircoolers on my Swifttech AIO. 

Alright, the only thing i might think about in the following is the radiator placement. I might move it further to the right side of the case. But thats about it. I will begin the build sometime after easter :)

Kallax prefinal top.jpg

Kallax prefinal Back.jpg

Kallax prefinal left.jpg

Kallax prefinal right.jpg

• 5 years later...

I know im a bit late to the party but, any updates? Hah.    I had the same idea last week and cane across this post and its exactly what i wanted to do so i was wondering if you ever got around to doing it?

• 9 months later...

just saw this thread, I know it is quite old, but I think there is no better place.

I had the same idea as Para94 but wanted to display my hardware a little bit more. Therefore, I plan to mount my mainboard and graphic card vertically.

I know this will result in an wore airflow, but since I rarely games which demand high loads on any components this is acceptable for me.

Since I’m not as skilled as Para94 my components are just boxes of the correct size. (blue = mainboard, yellow = GPU, red = PSU, green, radiator).

I plan to add mesh and some fans on both ends of the “case”. On the front shall be a window surrounded by a border of approx. 5cm mesh side.

Any ideas for improvements are highly welcome.

in the end every part should be printable on an basic 3d printer, the biggest part is currently 16x16cm, so it should even fit in small printers.

Front:

image.png.0732ea7bc31ea5a2bcef2929358a3391.png

Back:

image.png.46ab62412401da99847c82f71ce43540.png

Side cut:

image.png.dcf448c303874d728cc13186d3587f45.png

• 3 weeks later...

It's becoming reality, still a little bit messy and needs some small adjustments, but basicly works.

What I have already found out, not all compartments in a Kallax are qualiy sized nore squared. I have found a deviation of +-2mm between compartments.

And Yes, I know, the airflow will be horrible.

Front:

PXL_20230619_123605242.thumb.jpg.5734d3877b88366c840ea10e4bea67c9.jpg

Back:

PXL_20230619_123554548.thumb.jpg.0d53555495e9b516d45f5e0ec0419f9d.jpg