Max Settings increase FPS?

Denis_Twin

Hi, so I was wondering why do people suggest for fps issues to increase the graphical settings to the maximum sometimes instead of lowering them?

I'm curious since usually people suggest to lower them, considering we have a modern gpu.

If you've got a CPU bottleneck putting more load back on to the GPU will sometimes help with problems like the CPU making the game stutter.

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

If you've got a CPU bottleneck putting more load back on to the GPU will sometimes help with problems like the CPU making the game stutter.

thanks for the heads up.

Could you explain how this is done for people who are not familiar?

Just briefly

Just now, TwinDenis said:

thanks for the heads up.

Could you explain how this is done for people who are not familiar?

Just briefly

How to do what specifically?

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

How to do what specifically?

how come that it helps combat bottleneck?

I was reading online this might be a myth so I was just curious.

16 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

It doesn't. It makes the maximum FPS nearer to the point of where it would drop to in a stuttering case. All you get is a more consistent frame rate. So instead of getting 60 FPS and drops to 40 FPS, you'll get 40 FPS and some change and you won't notice the stuttering as much.

17 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

I was reading online this might be a myth so I was just curious.

It doesn't combat bottlenecking because something is always the slowest in the chain, it's just trying to make that less of an issue.

And this:

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

It doesn't. It makes the maximum FPS nearer to the point of where it would drop to in a stuttering case. All you get is a more consistent frame rate. So instead of getting 60 FPS and drops to 40 FPS, you'll get 40 FPS and some change and you won't notice the stuttering as much.

21 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

Hi, so I was wondering why do people suggest for fps issues to increase the graphical settings to the maximum sometimes instead of lowering them?

I'm curious since usually people suggest to lower them, considering we have a modern gpu.

Depends on which fps issues.

If the games are well optimized for pc and ur system cannot reach 60stable fps in the first place then increasing the graphical setting wont help at all its gonna make it worst.

Or some game just runs like shit even on all settings like hatred for example i regret buying that piece of junk.

If u want a stable fps without any stuttering all u can do is what Yurizaki said.

Its best to have stable decent framerate than unstable one.

Behold the power of Chuck Norris the forbidden one.

6 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

It doesn't combat bottlenecking because something is always the slowest in the chain, it's just trying to make that less of an issue.

And this:

Alright thanks,

by the way how can we detect a bottleneck?

Do the following examples relate to bottleneck?

https://postimg.org/gallery/mrpq1k10/

as a side note (mentioned before):

Im encountering fps issues (that seem more like small constant lags / frame skips) in cities or when seeing units in games sometimes (e.g. starcraft2, heroes of the storm and diablo3). Even without the cpu being full load (around 30-50ish %)

It never happens in games like overwatch, path of exile, the witcher 3 however or other games.

Regardless of graphical settings (shadows off etc) Played a lot with nvidia cp, vsync etc, clean installed the os and drivers up2date.

Managed to smoothen the fps while my character is alone with no units spawn/despawning or any effects or particles on the area, I used fast sync+60fps limiter on nvidia inspector. Although the problem is pretty much there and it gets in the way of gameplay because of some maps, preventing me from attending competitive/ranked in some games.

My specs are listed on my profile just in case.

Let me know if you have heard of anything, any help is appreciated, thanks

ps: tried everything the support guys on each game suggested basically with no luck.

16 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

Alright thanks,

by the way how can we detect a bottleneck?

Do the following examples relate to bottleneck?

https://postimg.org/gallery/mrpq1k10/

Basically if your CPU usage is abnormally high and/or GPU usage is abnormally low (should stay above 95% though low GPU usage could be from a different issue altogether).

Those screenshots look about right for a CPU bottleneck.

13 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Basically if your CPU usage is abnormally high and/or GPU usage is abnormally low (should stay above 95% though low GPU usage could be from a different issue altogether).

Those screenshots look about right for a CPU bottleneck.

Well true, the weird part is that it happens at times where the graphs show lower numbers as well. I had many things open at that time too as you can see.

My Gpu usage is most of the time below 50% though.

Now I know  I should not expect to play all of the PC games on the absolute maximum but they chave issues to the point of being unplayable sometimes, as a matter of fact some of the game companies post requirements that are met and surpassed but the issues are introduced non the less, such as most of blizzard's games.  

Again though when I am alone in an area without units doing something its very stable but the thing is sometimes it is stable even when units are shown.

Anyway this is my current cpu: https://ark.intel.com/products/64621/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-1620-10M-Cache-3_60-GHz-0_0-GTs-Intel-QPI

Max settings don't increase the frame rate (unless that game's name is Team Fortress 2 because Valve's fucking stupid). What it would do is shift a heavy load on the GPU, too. This would allow the CPU to cope with running the game slightly better since your frame rate will likely be below where your CPU would be tapped out at.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

I don't know why, but I play csgo 200-300 fps on max settings, and I tried putting lowest resolution and settings and my fps actually dropped.

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

4 minutes ago, Underi said:

I don't know why, but I play csgo 200-300 fps on max settings, and I tried putting lowest resolution and settings and my fps actually dropped.

^That^

Happened to me as well but it is a very slight boost non the less.

On 4/10/2017 at 0:24 PM, M.Yurizaki said:

Thank you for saying this. Not sure why so many people think that turning up the graphics somehow takes the load off of the cpu.

On 4/10/2017 at 1:36 PM, Underi said:

Your 970's likely running at a lower power mode if it can because it feels that it's unnecessary to run at a higher frame rate.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.