how to cool a 6700k using a "Peltier device"

Go to solution Solved by TonyKramer,
1 minute ago, SKinChangerGD said:

oh that's why The Phononic HEX 2.0 TEC CPU Cooler has 6-pins...

Yeah, the 6 pin is just for 12V. Same connector you see on higher end GPUs. However, considering that the dissipation power on the Phononic cooler doesn't look to be the best (Its a air cooler), you might want to try to make your own solution with an AIO or custom water cooling setup. 

There are several reasons why people don't do this anymore:

1) they use a ton of power, hundreds of watts just for one powerful enough for a CPU

2) those hundreds of additional watts need to be cooled by an even more powerful liquid cooling system because they are added to the fluid

3) they fail easily, and when they fail they turn into an insulator that makes your CPU instantly overheat

4) the more heat your processor makes the less effect the peltier has, so even though you might get below 0C at idle under load you will almost get identical temps to not using one at all

5) it's an overly complex waste of money for ineffective cooling

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

There are several reasons why people don't do this anymore:

1) they use a ton of power, hundreds of watts just for one powerful enough for a CPU

2) those hundreds of additional watts need to be cooled by an even more powerful liquid cooling system because they are added to the fluid

3) they fail easily, and when they fail they turn into an insulator that makes your CPU instantly overheat

4) the more heat your processor makes the less effect the peltier has, so even though you might get below 0C at idle under load you will almost get identical temps to not using one at all

Oh ok, but will The Phononic HEX 2.0 TEC CPU Cooler work? *i don't know if it uses peltier "module"*

2 minutes ago, SKinChangerGD said:

Oh ok, but will The Phononic HEX 2.0 TEC CPU Cooler work? *i don't know if it uses peltier "module"*

Don't waste your money.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Like the others, I wouldn't suggest it, but if you're like me, you just want to do it because you can and I respect that. I did this once, and it worked alright. 

You almost have to use an external water cooler, because the Peltier adds anywhere from 20-200W of energy, on top of the 7600K's 95W. 

You'll want to get a sealed module, one with the ceramic plates on both sides, as this acts as a protective layer. 40mm x 40mm worked for me, but you'll want to get a module that is larger than the lid of the 7600K. 

You almost have to get a 12V module. When I did it, I had a controller that worked with the PWM pin on the motherboard's CPU fan, but you could just attach it to your PSU and hope for the best. 

Because the Peltier can (and will) go sub-ambient (meaning below the temperature of your room), you have to seal out moisture in order not to destroy the chip. I did this using RTV silicon, but anything that is waterproof will work.

A normal bracket for a cooler will work as long as you sandwich the Peltier plate between the CPU and watercooler, but make sure to use thermal grease on both sides of the Peltier. Just remember that you may need longer screws to accommodate the extra thickness of the plate. 

Good Luck!

I spend most of my time on Autodesk and Caffe. CAD is great, as long as you know what you're doing.

Watson: Ryzen 7 1800X, 32GB 3000Mhz Dominator Platinum, X370 MSI Pro Carbon, 2x FirePro W9100s, 2x 256GB Samsung 850EVO SSDs, 2x 6TB WD Raid 1 HDDs, Ghetto Custom Cooling and Case, Logitech G910 and G502, 3DConnection SpacePilot Pro, 6x 27" Viewsonic FHD Monitors, 2x 24" Acer FHD Monitors, Windows 10 Pro/Ubuntu 16.04 Dual.

Yes, you can game on FirePro Cards, it's just overkill if you never use it's full abilities. 

Sherlock: 128 Core Render Server (32 Nodes, Matched Core 2 Quads, 8GB DDR2) running HPC Service Pack 1 on Windows Server 2016. Just because, you know, who doesn't want to render in real time? (Plus I don't pay the power bill)

9 minutes ago, TonyKramer said:

Like the others, I wouldn't suggest it, but if you're like me, you just want to do it because you can and I respect that. I did this once, and it worked alright. 

You almost have to use an external water cooler, because the Peltier adds anywhere from 20-200W of energy, on top of the 7600K's 95W. 

You'll want to get a sealed module, one with the ceramic plates on both sides, as this acts as a protective layer. 40mm x 40mm worked for me, but you'll want to get a module that is larger than the lid of the 7600K. 

You almost have to get a 12V module. When I did it, I had a controller that worked with the PWM pin on the motherboard's CPU fan, but you could just attach it to your PSU and hope for the best. 

Because the Peltier can (and will) go sub-ambient (meaning below the temperature of your room), you have to seal out moisture in order not to destroy the chip. I did this using RTV silicon, but anything that is waterproof will work.

A normal bracket for a cooler will work as long as you sandwich the Peltier plate between the CPU and watercooler, but make sure to use thermal grease on both sides of the Peltier. Just remember that you may need longer screws to accommodate the extra thickness of the plate. 

Good Luck!

1 minute ago, SKinChangerGD said:

Yeah, the 6 pin is just for 12V. Same connector you see on higher end GPUs. However, considering that the dissipation power on the Phononic cooler doesn't look to be the best (Its a air cooler), you might want to try to make your own solution with an AIO or custom water cooling setup. 

I spend most of my time on Autodesk and Caffe. CAD is great, as long as you know what you're doing.

Watson: Ryzen 7 1800X, 32GB 3000Mhz Dominator Platinum, X370 MSI Pro Carbon, 2x FirePro W9100s, 2x 256GB Samsung 850EVO SSDs, 2x 6TB WD Raid 1 HDDs, Ghetto Custom Cooling and Case, Logitech G910 and G502, 3DConnection SpacePilot Pro, 6x 27" Viewsonic FHD Monitors, 2x 24" Acer FHD Monitors, Windows 10 Pro/Ubuntu 16.04 Dual.

Yes, you can game on FirePro Cards, it's just overkill if you never use it's full abilities. 

Sherlock: 128 Core Render Server (32 Nodes, Matched Core 2 Quads, 8GB DDR2) running HPC Service Pack 1 on Windows Server 2016. Just because, you know, who doesn't want to render in real time? (Plus I don't pay the power bill)