A story of two coolers, the Noctua NH-U12S and the NH-D14

killcomic
7 hours ago, VVoltor said:

That is interesting, I really wonder why?

Anandtech benchmarks show the same results, with temps being close but the difference gets larger the higher the fanspeed. And not just that, the NH-U12S seems more quiet as well?

The NH-D14 has a much looser fin array and is optimized for low noise at low fan speeds whereas the NH-U12S punches above its weight for a slim single tower cooler at load by using a high static pressure fan and a dense fin array. 

The different fan sizes also works against the NH-D14 acoustics by introducing turbulence.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

28 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The NH-D14 has a much looser fin array and is optimized for low noise at low fan speeds whereas the NH-U12S punches above its weight for a slim single tower cooler at load by using a high static pressure fan and a dense fin array. 

The different fan sizes also works against the NH-D14 acoustics by introducing turbulence.

So, by that logic, you should only get the NH-D14 if you really want a dead silent system when idle?

Because the NH-U12S cools better, especially under load, and is also more quiet when the fans spin up? At least according to TS, and Anandtech (who I do trust).

I'm sure the smaller NH-U12S is also very quiet when idle, probably not even noticeably louder than the larger NH-D14...

Seems a bit odd, I just always assumed bigger cooler = less noise and better cooling. I guess it really pays to have a close look at temp and noise benchmarks.

I still think product improvement over time by Noctua accounts for some of the difference in performance though.

Does you mum know you're here?

2 hours ago, VVoltor said:

So, by that logic, you should only get the NH-D14 if you really want a dead silent system when idle?

Because the NH-U12S cools better, especially under load, and is also more quiet when the fans spin up? At least according to TS, and Anandtech (who I do trust).

I'm sure the smaller NH-U12S is also very quiet when idle, probably not even noticeably louder than the larger NH-D14...

Seems a bit odd, I just always assumed bigger cooler = less noise and better cooling. I guess it really pays to have a close look at temp and noise benchmarks.

I still think product improvement over time by Noctua accounts for some of the difference in performance though.

No, the NH-D14 is a bit outdated nowadays. The NH-U14S and NH-U12S are usually better alternatives.

I find that the NH-U12S is also easier to get a solid mount with since you don't have to reach between fin towers and possibly mess up the tightening of the screws.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

• 6 years later...

Wow. I came here looking for the exact answer to this question, having just done an identical upgrade. Thank you for saving me an afternoon!