Does KMS count as "piracy"?

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Using KMS as a way to activate a Microsoft product is not at all against Microsoft ToS provided you have a valid MAK or mass activation key - obtained usually through Microsoft VLSC purchased under SPLA, EA or VL. 

Using an activator tool to 'trick' the activation service built into the product into thinking it has activated against a KMS server is breaking Microsoft TOS and is considered piracy. 

Does activation software like KMS count as piracy? I've been arguing with a friend of mind about whether if it counts as piracy or not. What do you think?

Googling KMS software just gives me a bunch of unrelated things. Can you please explain what KMS is?

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

Yes. You are circumventing a form a DRM to avoid buying a license to legally use the product. That is the very definition of piracy.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

18 minutes ago, Railgun said:

Googling KMS software just gives me a bunch of unrelated things. Can you please explain what KMS is?

It's a tool for activating WIndows or Office.
P.S: This post is a sort of investigation, I'm not suggesting the usage of this software for self profit or any other illegal activities.

1 minute ago, DasBassDropz said:

so using microsoft toolkit is also a form of piracy??

Um, yes? If you activate Windows with anything other than a license that is paid for, it IS piracy. KMS and MS toolkit (not made by Microsoft) are tools to curcumvent the DRM of Windows in order to illegally activate a copy of Windows.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, DaemonWarrior44 said:

and what about YouTube converters? Like youtube-mp3.org or similars,

You're trying to justify one thing with another that is just as bad. Also, copyrights are only infringed if you try to distribute it. 

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

2 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Um, yes? If you activate Windows with anything other than a license that is paid for, it IS piracy. KMS and MS toolkit (not made by Microsoft) are tools to curcumvent the DRM of Windows in order to illegally activate a copy of Windows.

welp

ive been lied to

I feel terrible now

* runs away*

Just now, DeadEyePsycho said:

You're trying to justify one thing with another that is just as bad. Also, copyrights are only infringed if you try to distribute it. 

I'm not trying to justify anything. It's just curiosity, :)

2 minutes ago, DasBassDropz said:

welp

ive been lied to

I feel terrible now

* runs away*

The EULA will never betray you.

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

4 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

copyright maybe but when you watch a YouTube video you licence the right to listen / watch not to download it. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

5 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

The EULA will never betray you.

I think most people don't read the EULA, it's just a pain in the 4ss... Personally, I read very few EULAs in my life, but never finished one.

If you didn't pay for windows, it's piracy. If you just lost your key it's not, but you could just call ms and get a new one, they're fairly lenient on this sort of thing.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, DaemonWarrior44 said:

I think most people don't read the EULA, it's just a pain in the 4ss... Personally, I read very few EULAs in my life, but never finished one.

True but they tend to answer questions like this one since Microsoft does have it's own volume license KMS stuff.

Just now, Sauron said:

If you didn't pay for windows, it's piracy. If you just lost your key it's not, but you could just call ms and get a new one, they're fairly lenient on this sort of thing.

How do you prove them that you "lost" your product key?

How do you prove them that you "lost" your product key?

If you have any sort of purchase receit that should be proof enough that you bought it, and often they don't even ask.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

8 minutes ago, Sauron said:

If you have any sort of purchase receit that should be proof enough that you bought it, and often they don't even ask.

LOL, so... If I go and tell 'em "I lost my product key" and I'm lucky and they don't ask me for any receit, will I get Windows for free? xD

10 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793434.aspx#E1B
I don't if this is the same "KMS" as the one we're talking about, I'm too lazy to read everything, haha...

KMS stands for Key Management Service. You use it to automate software activation so you don't have to manually enter key's into hundreds, even thousands of PCs.

However, it requires you use a group volume license for actual legitimate use. 

31 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

True but they tend to answer questions like this one since Microsoft does have it's own volume license KMS stuff.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793434.aspx#E1B
I don't know if this is the same "KMS" as the one we're talking about...

19 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

KMS stands for Key Management Service. You use it to automate software activation so you don't have to manually enter key's into hundreds, even thousands of PCs.

However, it requires you use a group volume license for actual legitimate use. 

Oh, okay. So using KMS without having any product key is definitively piracy, right? :v

Oh, okay. So using KMS without having any product key is definitively piracy, right? :v

Yes. 

Yes.

But who cares?

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

1 minute ago, Kamina said:

Yes.

But who cares?

I'm sure Mircrosoft won't mind about a few people not paying for Windows or Office, haha xD...