Does KMS count as "piracy"?

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Using KMS as a way to activate a Microsoft product is not at all against Microsoft ToS provided you have a valid MAK or mass activation key - obtained usually through Microsoft VLSC purchased under SPLA, EA or VL. 

Using an activator tool to 'trick' the activation service built into the product into thinking it has activated against a KMS server is breaking Microsoft TOS and is considered piracy. 

1 minute ago, DaemonWarrior44 said:

I'm sure Mircrosoft won't mind about a few people not paying for Windows or Office, haha xD...

They don't. The CIA didn't pay for it either.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

24 minutes ago, DaemonWarrior44 said:

LOL, so... If I go and tell 'em "I lost my product key" and I'm lucky and they don't ask me for any receit, will I get Windows for free? xD

Yes. It's not like pirating it is any harder than that anyway.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I vote MS ignores pirated copies of Windows, BUT makes them play this on each startup. 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

1 minute ago, Kierax said:

I vote MS ignores pirated copies of Windows, BUT makes them play this on each startup. 

LOL, that would be awesome, hahahaha...

2 minutes ago, Kierax said:

good thing I don't reboot frequently

I mean, my windows 10 is legit

free upgrade :)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 minutes ago, themctipers said:

good thing I don't reboot frequently

I mean, my windows 10 is legit

free upgrade :)

Oh I would have the taskbar randomly change to the Nyan cat.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Just now, Kierax said:

Oh I would have the taskbar randomly change to the Nyan cat.

nyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanya

I read it as ryan

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

37 minutes ago, DaemonWarrior44 said:

How do you prove them that you "lost" your product key?

a key is not a license. you buy a license and it comes with the key to unlock the software. MS business customers get access to a different level of activation that make it easier to deploy MS software at scale. A lot of people buy a license, get the key and then throw away the license because they think they only need the key. MS makes a lot of money off those fools. Thats why i try to educate people on why buying a key is pointless and a key is not a license. You dont want to start a business or be in charge of IT, use software from a large software corp as an integral core of your operation, and then have that corp sting you for thousands of dollars because you dont know what your rights are.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

3 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Thats why i try to educate people on why buying a key is pointless and a key is not a license.

So, buying OEM keys is bad/isn't good?

Using KMS as a way to activate a Microsoft product is not at all against Microsoft ToS provided you have a valid MAK or mass activation key - obtained usually through Microsoft VLSC purchased under SPLA, EA or VL. 

Using an activator tool to 'trick' the activation service built into the product into thinking it has activated against a KMS server is breaking Microsoft TOS and is considered piracy. 

KMSpico?

Of course it is!

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

17 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

Are you allowed to choose a "best answer" for other people's posts? Really? I mean, I've already chose one, why did you changed it?

Also, according to @GoodBytes, this post is closed.

2 minutes ago, DaemonWarrior44 said:

@Windspeed36 and don't misinterprete me, I appreciate any kind of information provided, but was it necessary to change my "best answer"?

It's all good - I normally don't get too worried but a lot of people get confused around what KMS is hence why I reopened the tread to clarify it from the point of view of an MS partner

11 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

It's all good - I normally don't get too worried but a lot of people get confused around what KMS is hence why I reopened the tread to clarify it from the point of view of an MS partner

As a MS Partner, what would you say about the people who tell others to not buy a Windows key and simply not activate it? 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

As a MS Partner, what would you say about the people who tell others to not buy a Windows key and simply not activate it? 

i always say be careful how you word things. you can say:

"not activating windows places no real hurtful technical limitations but you are legally suppose to have that piece of paper that shows your right to use the software."

or you can say something like:

"dont bother paying for it coz MS dont do shit"

both same the same thing but one is a bit more careful than the other

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

5 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

as intended

So bypassing regional restrictions is piracy too?

What about never activating Windows?

12 minutes ago, yathis said:

So bypassing regional restrictions is piracy too?

What about never activating Windows?

Well both of those cases are breaking the eula so yes, but that's never enforced. 

2 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Well both of those cases are breaking the eula so yes, but that's never enforced. 

Either is piracy.