Feasibility of Replacing my Nexus 6's Dock Connector

infinitymdm

I've been having charging issues with my Nexus 6 (Model XT1103)  for some time now. I've done a little bit of testing (using cables I know work, etc.) and have determined that the micro-USB port on my phone is the issue. I know that the port itself is soldered onto the motherboard, but I have a reasonable amount of device repair and soldering experience and I own good tools for the job. So my question is this: how difficult is the process of replacing the micro-USB port, and are there any tricky parts I should know about? Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

Quote me if you want me to reply.

Do you have a hot air station, high microscope, good flux, electronics tweezers and a decent soldering iron? If the answer is no, do you have a good soldering iron with a fine tip, fine solder, good flux and at least 1 hour to spare? (hakko fx 888 or better) If the answer to both of those is no, then don't even bother.

Quote or tag if you want me to answer! PM me if you are in a real hurry!

Why do Java developers wear glasses? Because they can't C#!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-Processor: i5 6600k @4.6GHz

-Graphics: GTX1060 6GB G1 Gaming

-RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR4 2133MHz

-Motherboard: Asus Z170-A

-Cooler: Corsair H100i

-PSU: EVGA 650W 80+bronze

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-Processor: i7 3520M

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Graphics: intel iGPU :(

-Not even 1080p

3 minutes ago, dany_boy said:

Do you have a hot air station, high microscope, good flux, electronics tweezers and a decent soldering iron?

I own all of those except a microscope, but I have pretty good eyes. My soldering iron could certainly have a finer tip -- the end rounds off when it's about 1mm across. I've never needed anything more than that in the past; do you think I will need something better before attempting this?

Quote me if you want me to reply.

Just now, infinitymdm said:

I own all of those except a microscope, but I have pretty good eyes. My soldering iron could certainly have a finer tip -- the end rounds off when it's about 1mm across. I've never needed anything more than that in the past; do you think I will need something better before attempting this?

If you have a hot air gun (even a crappy one) SMD is soooo much easier and doable. I would recommend you watch some tutorial videos from Louis Rossman so you can get familiar on how to properly use flux and re-tin solder pads. I strongly suggest you get at least a magnifying glass. Finally make sure you buy the exact connector for your phone, not all connectors are equal and even a small size or form difference can screw you over.

Cheers and good luck!

Quote or tag if you want me to answer! PM me if you are in a real hurry!

Why do Java developers wear glasses? Because they can't C#!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-Processor: i5 6600k @4.6GHz

-Graphics: GTX1060 6GB G1 Gaming

-RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR4 2133MHz

-Motherboard: Asus Z170-A

-Cooler: Corsair H100i

-PSU: EVGA 650W 80+bronze

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler