What's Intel Microcode?

Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,
3 minutes ago, DaemonWarrior44 said:

So, I should only turn it on when something's going wrong, right?

I don't think it's something you turn on. It's something you have to apply to the CPU itself. It's like a BIOS update, only for the CPU. Linux just has the capability of applying microcode updates on boot. i.e., once you do it, it's permanent.

Otherwise yes, it's something to consider if you're running into issues and you're certain the outdated microcode is the problem.

What's Intel Microcode? How does it affect me?
It my first time on Linux and I don't know almost anything about it, but I want to learn.

SS_1.png

I would explain, but since there is a wiki, just read it: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/microcode

Quote or tag if you want me to answer! PM me if you are in a real hurry!

Why do Java developers wear glasses? Because they can't C#!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-Processor: i5 6600k @4.6GHz

-Graphics: GTX1060 6GB G1 Gaming

-RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR4 2133MHz

-Motherboard: Asus Z170-A

-Cooler: Corsair H100i

-PSU: EVGA 650W 80+bronze

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-Processor: i7 3520M

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Graphics: intel iGPU :(

-Not even 1080p

1 minute ago, DaemonWarrior44 said:

What's Intel Microcode? How does it affect me?

The way most x86 processors work now is they break up x86 instructions into simpler instructions that are specific for that processor. This is called the microcode. The reason why they do this is because it makes out-of-order execution and filling up the execution pipelines simpler.

The only time microcode updates are pushed out is because there's a potentially game-breaking bug in the original microcode that shipped. You may not need it, but if you run into severe issues with your apps that you run and it can be traced to the microcode, then go ahead and update it.

Just now, DaemonWarrior44 said:

@M.Yurizaki @dany_boy But how does enabling that option affect me?

Well I would suppose it would attempt to update the μ-code in your CPU. Not entirely sure though.

Quote or tag if you want me to answer! PM me if you are in a real hurry!

Why do Java developers wear glasses? Because they can't C#!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-Processor: i5 6600k @4.6GHz

-Graphics: GTX1060 6GB G1 Gaming

-RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR4 2133MHz

-Motherboard: Asus Z170-A

-Cooler: Corsair H100i

-PSU: EVGA 650W 80+bronze

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-Processor: i7 3520M

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Graphics: intel iGPU :(

-Not even 1080p

2 minutes ago, DaemonWarrior44 said:

@M.Yurizaki @dany_boy But how does enabling that option affect me?

normally they fix issues in the cpu and can help fix errors on the hardware. Normally there a good thing. Why aren't they on by default then? cause there close source and you don't know what there really doing.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

normally they fix issues in the cpu and can help fix errors on the hardware. Normally there a good thing. Why aren't they on by default then? cause there close source and you don't know what there really doing.

They're not on by default because unless you got a processor with the update already applied, it comes with whatever microcode it was shipped with.

And while I won't argue it's not a good thing, I also don't think you should update it if everything is running fine.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

They're not on by default because unless you got a processor with the update already applied, it comes with whatever microcode it was shipped with.

And while I won't argue it's not a good thing, I also don't think you should update it if everything is running fine.

3 minutes ago, DaemonWarrior44 said:

I don't think it's something you turn on. It's something you have to apply to the CPU itself. It's like a BIOS update, only for the CPU. Linux just has the capability of applying microcode updates on boot. i.e., once you do it, it's permanent.

Otherwise yes, it's something to consider if you're running into issues and you're certain the outdated microcode is the problem.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Oh, okay. I think it's better if I don't touch anything, haha. Thanks.

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

I did it to my CPU and I noticed no difference

I just left everything by default, except peripherals (acceleration, sensitivity, etc.)...