1080 TI overclock results?

jimmyjimmies

I used this video as a reference for overclocking mine.  I brought it down a little since I froze in GR: wildlands while playing with a friend. I'll put more effort into the OC when I get my new case in a few months.

Afterburner.JPG

CPU: Core i7-4790K Delided + LM (Noctua NH-D15 Black) MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Hero RAM: G. Skill TridentX 16GB  GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (NZXT G12 + X73) Case:  Cooler Master ATCS 840  PSU:  Corsair AX860 ATX  Storage:  Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB + Western Digital Black 6 TB 7200 RPM  Display: 2x  Asus 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/SSJAguila/saved/nT2Gqs

On 4/6/2017 at 5:43 AM, jimmyjimmies said:

So anyone who has overclocked their 1080 TI, what kind of results have you seen?

+mhz core clock?

+mhz memory?

I'll assume it's still best to use max power limit.

Any suggestions on  whether or not to touch core voltage? I've seen a lot of varying opinions on this and would like to see more.

Please mention your gpu and cooling setup with results. Thanks!

The absolute best way to overclock any Pascal card is it to cool it.  Aftermarket power delivery solutions (VRMs) and the like will do next to nothing to improve overclocking with a 1080 Ti.  It boils down to luck of the draw with the silicon lottery.

As temps rise with Pascal, clock speeds automatically drop.  The first step down occurs in the high 30c range and continues to drop as temps increase.

Also, you should avoid using the "+mhz core clock" and "+mhz memory" terminology as every card has a different base/boost clock.  So if two 1080 Ti owners start from a different point and both add 200 MHz, they aren't actually running the same clock speed at all.  Additionally, this method of comparison doesn't account for GPU Boost stepping down on one card, but not another.  

It's best to use actual frequency for both core clock and memory for comparison sake.  A lot more accurate.

Anyways, I managed to find two 1080 Ti FE cards that will both do 2100+ depending on load.  As you know, the 1080 Ti is power limited at higher clocks.  This restriction can be corrected with a shunt mod or a resistor mod, which I did on the first two 1080 Ti cards that I had, but I skipped on my latest two.  The newer cards are much better binned cards and are able to do more with less so to speak. 

This particular run was at 2100 MHz with a peak temp of 30c.

Superposition 4k Optimized 21078.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 5/6/2017 at 9:27 AM, done12many2 said:

The absolute best way to overclock any Pascal card is it to cool it.  Aftermarket power delivery solutions (VRMs) and the like will do next to nothing to improve overclocking with a 1080 Ti.  It boils down to luck of the draw with the silicon lottery.

As temps rise with Pascal, clock speeds automatically drop.  The first step down occurs in the high 30c range and continues to drop as temps increase.

Also, you should avoid using the "+mhz core clock" and "+mhz memory" terminology as every card has a different base/boost clock.  So if two 1080 Ti owners start from a different point and both add 200 MHz, they aren't actually running the same clock speed at all.  Additionally, this method of comparison doesn't account for GPU Boost stepping down on one card, but not another.  

It's best to use actual frequency for both core clock and memory for comparison sake.  A lot more accurate.

Anyways, I managed to find two 1080 Ti FE cards that will both do 2100+ depending on load.  As you know, the 1080 Ti is power limited at higher clocks.  This restriction can be corrected with a shunt mod or a resistor mod, which I did on the first two 1080 Ti cards that I had, but I skipped on my latest two.  The newer cards are much better binned cards and are able to do more with less so to speak. 

This particular run was at 2100 MHz with a peak temp of 30c.

Superposition 4k Optimized 21078.jpg

Could you post a picture of your build? 5 360mm rads sounds extreme. Curious how it all came together. Especially with the 7700k at 1.44v. One loop or two? Thanks.

On 4/6/2017 at 2:43 AM, jimmyjimmies said:

Hello,  

I haven't seen a post about this and I'm curious where I should be expecting to land with overclocking results on the 1080ti strix (if I ever get it)

So anyone who has overclocked their 1080 TI, what kind of results have you seen?

+mhz core clock?

+mhz memory?

Any suggestions on  whether or not to touch core voltage? I've seen a lot of varying opinions on this and would like to see more.

ive helped people online reach as high as 2090 with 75c but it had an aggressive fan curve. 

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

On 4/9/2017 at 4:21 AM, jimmyjimmies said:

Okay got it. And last question-- when do you alter the gpu voltage during your overclocking process? I've heard a ton of varying opinions on whether or not to even touch it. Thanks!

I have had zero issues on unlocking the voltage slider to the max... due to pascal self monitoring itself.. 

Streambox / Renderbox

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Stock

AMD Wraith Max cpu cooler, 

EVGA GTX 1070 Ti SC Black stock

16GB (2x8GB) G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3600c15 @  2133MT/s stock

Asus x470 Crosshair VII Hero (WiFi)

EVGA T2 850w Gold Power Supply,  

Samsung 860 Evo 500gb SSD4TB RAID-5 drive,   

Cooler Master HAF XB Evo

ASUS ROG PG248Q, 

w/ Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2, Razer Mamba Elite, Razer Goliath chroma

Main Machine / Gaming Machine

Intel Core i7-8086k @ 5GHz 1.35v,

Corsair H115i Pro, ROG Maximus X Hero WiFi, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, 

ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti w/ NZXT G12 GPU & NZXT Kraken x42 140mm AIO,  G. Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB 3200MHz 14-14-14-34 1.35v,

Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SSD, WD Black 2TB HDD, WD Red 4TB HDD, Seasonic Prime 1000w Titanium PSU,  (3x) Corsair ML140 Pro,

Dell S2417DG,  

Razer Blackwidow TE, Razer Lancehead, Razer Firefly,

Cooler Master H500P Mesh White

• 6 months later...
On 4/6/2017 at 11:43 AM, jimmyjimmies said:

Hello,  

I haven't seen a post about this and I'm curious where I should be expecting to land with overclocking results on the 1080ti strix (if I ever get it)

+mhz core clock?

+mhz memory?

im running a msi gtx 1080 ti founders edition and i got:

+170 core

+200 memory

120% power delivery

no voltage changes and im doing 2075 core and 5705 memory clock

fully stable and running at 26c with custom water loop (single slim quad rad)

going to attempt higher clocks once my new case arrives (the tower 900) and with my 2x fat quad rads and other things :)

would like to mention i run a Fx9590 on the same loop (220 watt cpu) thats incredibly hot and replacing it with 1950x threadripper once

my package actually arrives... (yay christmas)

the cpu and motherboard does support the 1080ti but bottleneck's it but its better than what i used to have :)

• 1 year later...
On 4/6/2017 at 11:43 AM, jimmyjimmies said:

Hello,  

+mhz core clock?

+mhz memory?

I have the Aorus 1080 ti

Core clock is at 1980-2000 mhz

memory is at 5800 MHz. Could prob go higher on that though

• 3 months later...

3 years late sorry, Got 2088 mhz on core and 6300 mhz on memory so +110 on core and +800 on memory. EVGA GTX 1080 TI SC Black. Stable on every game I play, Dota2, CSGO, FC5, FCND, Battlefront 2, BFV except The Witcher 3, That game crashes with even a +25 mhz.