WD Gold seems to go to sleep when idle!

I've recently bought two WD Gold 2TB drives for using as "important data" storage using software RAID 1 (mirrored) in my workstation.

The Power Management Plan is set on Performance (with HDD Sleep set to Never), but these drives seems to enter in sleep mode after a while! If I access them they make a sound and start spinning. The data become available after 2-3 seconds. When I shut down the system, I think the HDDs are making the same sound (parking heads).

Should I be worried? How I can turn off the sleep feature? I believed that WD Gold are for continuous use and don't park their heads often, like WD Green for example!

first off these are drives i didnt even know were a thing. but since they seem to exist then its probably something with the SATA controller. you could get a PCI SATA controller for pretty cheap which could solve your problem but thats no guarante either. go through the BIOS and look for relevant settings in there

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

first off these are drives i didnt even know were a thing. but since they seem to exist then its probably something with the SATA controller. you could get a PCI SATA controller for pretty cheap which could solve your problem but thats no guarante either. go through the BIOS and look for relevant settings in there

I know that these are the "old" Re drives, now re-branded as Gold. I am using the Mirrored feature from Windows 10 Storage Spaces.

I will look into BIOS for something, but I also have a new Black drive that is not parking like that!

On 4/6/2017 at 10:26 AM, zMeul said:

one thing that crosses my mind is the drives weren't validated on that controller

it's a bit odd you chose golds instead of WD reds

I don't have a RAID controller. I just use them as mirrored under Windows 10 Storage Spaces.

I think the drives are going by default into sleep mode after a while, just to save energy.

1 minute ago, bographics said:

I don't have a RAID controller. I just use them as mirrored under Windows 10 Storage Spaces.

I think the drives are going by default into sleep mode after a while, just to save energy.

best thing would be to contact WD, there might be firmware issue

as I said, these drives don't usually end up in desktops