Got my hands on a 1080ti & 7700k Need help for new build

Go to solution Solved by HKZeroFive,
2 hours ago, Alkali A said:

Ram-

8-16 GB is good and likely as much as you'll need, you can get 32 GB is you're willing to dish out a bit extra just for workload related items, and you could get 64 GB if you REALLY want to make you you have enough. 

Speed wise it'll make more different the amount you have than what speed it is, as the slight improvements you get from faster speeds are so small that it can't even really be noticed. 

That video has been debunked several, several times and unfortunately it still spreads the misinformation of "faster RAM doesn't do anything". Linus implemented such an awful testing methodology where he uses a mediocre GTX 660Ti with massively GPU-bound settings and doesn't even the minimum framerate, which is arguably the biggest improvement from faster memory.

The bottom line is that faster memory will give you higher minimum framerates and in CPU-bound scenarios (or where the CPU is the bottleneck), give you higher average frames per second.

One only has to look at the more recent Ryzen benchmarks or Digital Foundry videos to see that faster memory indeed makes a significant difference. People who say otherwise are just misinformed or don't know anything.

Hello guys,

I am looking for help regarding the other components for this new build. Budget is pretty much open but not outrageous "I wouldn't go for dominator platinums"

Info I need.

- Good motherboard. Must be overclock friendly. Don't care for Bluetooth & wireless features.

- Ram. I don't know anything about ram aside from capacity. I don't know the difference in speed and how impactful it is.

- SSD. I plan to go for samsung. But is it worth to go PRO over EVO?

- Power Supply. How much watt is enough? I also want to allow for future SLI expansion.

Motherboard-

any Z270 board should be good, as it's much harder to get a "bad" board these days. Personally I've heard the best of Asus boards

Ram-

8-16 GB is good and likely as much as you'll need, you can get 32 GB is you're willing to dish out a bit extra just for workload related items, and you could get 64 GB if you REALLY want to make you you have enough. 

Speed wise it'll make more different the amount you have than what speed it is, as the slight improvements you get from faster speeds are so small that it can't even really be noticed. 

SSD-

I've heard the great things of EVO and that would be my personal choice.

you WILL get improvements from going pro, but in my opinion it's not worth the premium.

http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-850-Pro-256GB-vs-Samsung-850-Evo-250GB/2385vs2977

PSU-

I'd go a little overkill in terms of pure wattage if you plan to overclock and upgrade later, and stick to at least 80+ gold, platinum, or titanium (since you have higher end stuff efficiency will save you a little bit on your electric bill) 

http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

I'd input what you need, then get the next wattage amount up.

keep in mind this is a mix of personal experience, research and my own optinion so always take things with a grain of salt.

what about cases or cpu/case cooling btw, you didn't mention that at all.

(ps. mention or quote people to give them notifications, if you didn't know already)

23 minutes ago, Strike1st said:

Hello guys,

I am looking for help regarding the other components for this new build. Budget is pretty much open but not outrageous "I wouldn't go for dominator platinums"

Info I need.

- Good motherboard. Must be overclock friendly. Don't care for Bluetooth & wireless features.

- Ram. I don't know anything about ram aside from capacity. I don't know the difference in speed and how impactful it is.

- SSD. I plan to go for samsung. But is it worth to go PRO over EVO?

- Power Supply. How much watt is enough? I also want to allow for future SLI expansion.

Motherboard

If you are having no specific budget for mobo then go with Strix Motherboard from ASUS. ASUS strix motherboards(any of the strix mobos and also prime mobos) are awesome(also expensive, prime is cheap). Their build quality is excellent. Strix boards has good I/O and also good features. You can also go with Maximus IX Hero if you can which is better than strix  or can go with Z270 Prime from ASUS(The cheapest Z270 board from ASUS but is good). You can actually go with any mobo like MSI, Gigabyte and other mobos which are good too. But personally I feel ASUS boards have better build quality when compared to others especially Strix and Maximus boards. But nowadays every mobo is performing good.

RAM

Get RAM of 3000MHz or 3200 MHZ getting more than that is not worth as there is very small difference sometimes nothing. 16GB should be good go with 2X8GB sticks and leave remaining 2 slots for extra 16GB in future.

SSD

Pro SSDs have much better Write and Read speeds so it depends on the use of the system like for productivity stuff otherwise for gaming or any other things EVO should just be fine. The price of Pro is also high taking the performance increase into consideration.

PSU

Get a PSU of 800W and make sure that it is a Tier 3, 2 or 1(preferably 1 or 2). 700-750W should be enough but it is always good to leave a bit extra wattage for extra parts..

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TqNftJ
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TqNftJ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler  ($149.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS IX HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($214.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($154.97 @ Jet) 
Storage: Samsung 960 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($249.98 @ NCIX US) 
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($122.88 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Founders Edition Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass ATX Mid Tower Case  ($179.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($88.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1161.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-06 03:26 EDT-0400

something like that. i cant say i picked the cheapest parts but i picked parts that look good together and will serve you good

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

AX860 power, as even my 980Ti SLI can hit 860watts when furmark and prime 95 are testing the system but typical is going to be lower when gaming.

(CPU) i9 9900K  (MB)ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I   (RAM) Royal Z Gold 2x8GB  40000DDR4 (GPU) Radeon VII  (CASE) Shift-X  (Storage)M.2 ADATA XPG8200 Pro/  (PSU)Corsair SF750 (COOLING)-H100I Pro   Folding ID Tim_Kelly

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

make your own personal choices on brands, cases, and cpu coolers and the like (I think aio or water cooling is a good idea with the 7700k though)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler  ($149.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI Z270 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($144.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($124.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Samsung 960 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($249.98 @ NCIX US) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: NZXT S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($88.89 @ OutletPC) 
Other: Black/White CableMod ($89.90)
Total: $1008.62
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-06 03:47 EDT-0400

Ok. After looking at your suggestions. I want to check your opinions or if there is any compatibility issues.

Motherboard:

https://www.amazon.com/ROG-STRIX-Z270E-GAMING-Motherboard/dp/B01NGTJNSZ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1491468075&sr=8-2&keywords=z270+asus

RAM: 

https://www.amazon.com/G-Skill-TridentZ-3200Mhz-PC4-25600-Channel/dp/B01MSBS0UT/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1491468533&sr=8-2&keywords=g+skill+trident+z+rgb+ddr4+32+gb

Will there be any compatibility issues if I choose those 2?

30 minutes ago, Strike1st said:

no they are great and will look sick in your case ( it would be actually what i would have advised you to buy). I would then go for the corsair crystal x460, or some phantecks ethoo, of if you want to go the exrtra mile something like the lian li pc 05-06-07 ( those last    ree are super expensive but stunning). 

As for cooling i would go with a Kracken x52/62

Just now, Flavio hc 16 said:

no they are great and will look sick in your case ( it would be actually what i would have advised you to buy). I would then go for the corsair crystal x460, or some phantecks ethoo, of if you want to go the exrtra mile something like the lian li pc 05-06-07 ( those last    ree are super expensive but stunning). 

As for cooling i would go with a Kracken x52/62

I edited the post btw with different rams. can you please check it and make sure it's compatible because I decided to go with 32gb

4 minutes ago, Strike1st said:

I edited the post btw with different rams. can you please check it and make sure it's compatible because I decided to go with 32gb

ofc they are still compatible, ( all the ones with DDR4 will be) but if you are only gaming 32gbs is just wasting money ( i have 32gb in my system and never used 16gb in games, even at 4k, but they are usefull for video rendering)

can you tell us what is your budget and what you will do with this pc ? ( as i see the parts that you want it seems like you want also a beautiful build, and you are in USA) so i can arrange something for you

Just now, Flavio hc 16 said:

ofc they are still compatible, ( all the ones with DDR4 will be) but if you are only gaming 32gbs is just wasting money ( i have 32gb in my system and never used 16gb in games, even at 4k, but they are usefull for video rendering)

can you tell us what is your budget and what you will do with this pc ? ( as i see the parts that you want it seems like you want also a beautiful build, and you are in USA)

Linus taught me to go extreme even if it's not worth it :P at least I will do that with RAM because those babies look sick!

and I don't live in the USA. I will be buying all my parts from Saudi Arabia local stores. They seem to have everything available nowadays.

also, I would like to know what 1080 ti you were able to get your hands on ( founders edition or wich 3rd pary ( like msi, asus and such)

2 minutes ago, Flavio hc 16 said:

also, I would like to know what 1080 ti you were able to get your hands on ( founders edition or wich 3rd pary ( like msi, asus and such)

Founder edition EVGA. at least that's what it says on the box.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RFywFd
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RFywFd/by_merchant/

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X52 Liquid CPU Cooler  ($139.75 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270i GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($177.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($159.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($268.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint M9T 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($102.29 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Founders Edition Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Case: Lian-Li PC-05SX HTPC Case 
Power Supply: Silverstone 700W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply  ($144.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $993.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-06 05:14 EDT-0400

this will look just outstanding ( you have to find the case) and will be also a quite small build, if you want to go with your motherboard and 32 gbs of ram you can fo with the pc-07 ( is the same case, just bigger)

1 minute ago, Flavio hc 16 said:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RFywFd
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RFywFd/by_merchant/

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X52 Liquid CPU Cooler  ($139.75 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270i GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($177.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($159.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($268.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint M9T 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($102.29 @ Amazon) 
Case: Lian-Li PC-05SX HTPC Case 
Power Supply: Silverstone 700W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply  ($144.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $993.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-06 05:14 EDT-0400

this will look just outstanding ( you have to find the case) and will be also a quite small build, if you want to go with your motherboard and 32 gbs of ram you can fo with the pc-07 ( is the same case, just bigger)

I am still undecided about the case. I'm guessing I will go with a glass case or one of the limited edition cases. I will have to check and see how they go.

Thanks a lot for your support! I will be posting my build once I am done with it. All I need is to decide the color of the case & cables then I'm good to go.

2 hours ago, Alkali A said:

Ram-

That video has been debunked several, several times and unfortunately it still spreads the misinformation of "faster RAM doesn't do anything". Linus implemented such an awful testing methodology where he uses a mediocre GTX 660Ti with massively GPU-bound settings and doesn't even the minimum framerate, which is arguably the biggest improvement from faster memory.

The bottom line is that faster memory will give you higher minimum framerates and in CPU-bound scenarios (or where the CPU is the bottleneck), give you higher average frames per second.

One only has to look at the more recent Ryzen benchmarks or Digital Foundry videos to see that faster memory indeed makes a significant difference. People who say otherwise are just misinformed or don't know anything.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

13 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

well now I know.

I personally have had zero issues with my hardware choices. 

Originally:

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/skdXsY

current:

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/Lk6scf

Streambox / Renderbox

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Stock

AMD Wraith Max cpu cooler, 

EVGA GTX 1070 Ti SC Black stock

16GB (2x8GB) G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3600c15 @  2133MT/s stock

Asus x470 Crosshair VII Hero (WiFi)

EVGA T2 850w Gold Power Supply,  

Samsung 860 Evo 500gb SSD4TB RAID-5 drive,   

Cooler Master HAF XB Evo

ASUS ROG PG248Q, 

w/ Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2, Razer Mamba Elite, Razer Goliath chroma

Main Machine / Gaming Machine

Intel Core i7-8086k @ 5GHz 1.35v,

Corsair H115i Pro, ROG Maximus X Hero WiFi, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, 

ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti w/ NZXT G12 GPU & NZXT Kraken x42 140mm AIO,  G. Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB 3200MHz 14-14-14-34 1.35v,

Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SSD, WD Black 2TB HDD, WD Red 4TB HDD, Seasonic Prime 1000w Titanium PSU,  (3x) Corsair ML140 Pro,

Dell S2417DG,  

Razer Blackwidow TE, Razer Lancehead, Razer Firefly,

Cooler Master H500P Mesh White