Backup options to guarantee data integrity

Hi all,

Currently, I am running two Synology RAID boxes for my high-availability setup in my home-office.  In the video below, you'll see a smaller 5-bay 1515+ unit with 4x5 WD Red Pros, and the 1815+ below has 6x 4GB Red Pros, with one parked (doing nothing), which I will 'enable' should one drive die at any point.

First off, I know that RAID is no backup, and in my case, I also made a mistake -  these were configured as RAID5, which subjects me to potential URE errors if/when the array needs to be rebuilt (ouch).

I've started to backup my data onto SSDs and 'store' them in a safe.  Given that SSDs aren't ideal, I will be buying some WD Black drives soon for this purpose.  This is where I am concerned with regards to backup data integrity and guarding against bitrot.

Would it make sense to setup a ZFS Raidz pool (3x WD Black drives) - copy my data to those drives, then place them in storage?

Couple folks in the #linux channel on Freenode have suggested Bareos, but that just seems like an extremely over the top solution, as I really want to reduce all Single points of Failure, and Bareos just seems to increase those aspects.

Thoughts and advice would be MOST appreciated.

Cheers, Mike.

Oh, also, in such a config is ECC ram still needed?

Ecc is always nice but not worth it here.

For data I'd use them as single drives with btrfs or raid 1. You then have checksums built in.

Also for long term storage I'd look into tapes. There much better than hdds and ssds for longevity. 

I've heard that btrfs isn't ready to be relied on, well, compared to ZFS at least.  Thoughts?