Max Compatible Memory Speed for i7 7700 (Non-K)

Go to solution Solved by MasamotoTakeshi,

Hey,

Your build looks pretty good and in regards to RAM the maximum supported speed should be the max speed supported by the motherboard. I have 16GB of 3200MHz in my system with no problems with the 6700K. Even though I have a 'K' CPU it shouldn't make a real difference as the 'K' just means it can overclock not difference in much else really (Aside from boost speed). The corsair vengeance kits are brilliant and you should have no problems with those. Please let me know if this helped. 

Hi guys, I'm planning on making an HTPC build on one of Intel's new Kaby Lake non-K CPUs. I was wondering what would be the best possible specs for the memory which would be compatible with my system:

* CPU - Intel i7 7700
* Mobo - MSI Z270i Gaming Carbon Pro AC
* CPU Cooler - Noctua L9i
* SSD - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2-2280
* HDD - (2x) WD Black 2.5" 7200RPM
* GPU - MSI GTX1070 Founder's Edition
* PSU - Corsair SF600 SFX

Thinking of using a (2x8GB) 16GB memory configuration and I'm currently undecided with the following selection with regards to their compatibility and performance:

* Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz CL14
* Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHz CL16

Both of the configurations are pretty much at the same price point so budget won't be a problem.

Was also wondering if there would be any issues in choosing memory modules with higher speeds, like a 3200Mhz one for example, since they specified in Intel's product page that the i7 7700 can only support 2133MHz and 2400Mhz, but at the same time, the MSI Z270i Carbon motherboard supports speeds up to 3800MHz. As such, what would be the maximum memory speed compatible with an i7 7700 without having to overclock the CPU (since I obviously can't with a non-K skew).

Would very much appreciate any advice and suggestions. Thanks in advance :)

Hey,

Your build looks pretty good and in regards to RAM the maximum supported speed should be the max speed supported by the motherboard. I have 16GB of 3200MHz in my system with no problems with the 6700K. Even though I have a 'K' CPU it shouldn't make a real difference as the 'K' just means it can overclock not difference in much else really (Aside from boost speed). The corsair vengeance kits are brilliant and you should have no problems with those. Please let me know if this helped.