Any legit way to run macOS on a PC?

Go to solution Solved by xDylanio,

You would need an Apple Machine

Hi. 

So I started a thread several hours ago regarding a question I had on running macOS through a virtual machine on a PC. However, it was locked due to the fact that that way of obtaining macOS is not legitimate.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/760448-virtual-machine-os-on-pc-question/

First off, apologies for starting a thread discussing topics that aren't allowed.

Secondly, since that is considered illegitimate, and I am not fond of piracy, is there any way for me to run macOS on Windows that is supported and thus legitimate? Or would I strictly need an Apple machine for that?

Any insight into this is appreciated.

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, EdwardIIV said:

would I strictly need an Apple machine for that?

To run MacOS, yes, you technically can only run it on an apple machine. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

5 hours ago, EdwardIIV said:

Hi. 

So I started a thread several hours ago regarding a question I had on running macOS through a virtual machine on a PC. However, it was locked due to the fact that that way of obtaining macOS is not legitimate.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/760448-virtual-machine-os-on-pc-question/

First off, apologies for starting a thread discussing topics that aren't allowed.

Secondly, since that is considered illegitimate, and I am not fond of piracy, is there any way for me to run macOS on Windows that is supported and thus legitimate? Or would I strictly need an Apple machine for that?

Any insight into this is appreciated.

Thanks.

Nope there isn't any real legitimate ways to get OSX installed on a non-Apple hardware.  Hackintoshes and OSX VMs on non OSX based systems are just hackjobs people do to get OSX running without paying for Apple hardware.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

There is nothing Legal about a Hackintosh

3 minutes ago, EdwardIIV said:

Why Start one in the first place?

Hello

7 minutes ago, EdwardIIV said:

And as a reply to your other topic, whether you run OSX or any other OS as a VM alongside your main OS, as long as the VM is running it will be utilizing resources from your machine and not letting the native OS utilize all of your rig's resources.  So if you want to, for example, watch Youtube or a video on a media player on a 2nd monitor while playing a game on your primary monitor, why do you need to run a VM.  Just put the browser window on the second monitor.  If you're not using the VMs, turn them off so that they don't hog resources unnecessarily.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

Buy Mac mini and use a Remote Desktop from pc is only legal way

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

I suspected as much. Sort of unfortunate, I would've loved to have bought macOS legit and installed it on a PC, but just as I'd assumed it isn't possible.

6 hours ago, TAHIRMIA said:

There is nothing Legal about a Hackintosh

Why Start one in the first place?

Well I thought it was fine discussing about virtual machines here as I found other threads doing the same. Unfortunately I did not know that there wasn't a legitimate way of obtaining macOS on a PC and so I was hoping someone could guide me to a legit way. I'm a newbie to this forum as you can probably tell (although I've been watching LTT for quite a while now).

Anyway, thank you all for your answers, and thank you @AkiraDaarkst for the clarification. I believe I will either go the Mac Mini route, running both a Mac Mini and a PC, or I'll simply plug in my current MacBook 2010 to the second monitor whenever needed, despite how slow it may be.

Cheers!

2 hours ago, EdwardIIV said:

I will either go the Mac Mini route, running both a Mac Mini and a PC, or I'll simply plug in my current MacBook 2010 to the second monitor whenever needed, despite how slow it may be.

the sad reality is mac hardware kinda sucks right now. All the macs are using laptop CPUs so you might not like the performance

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

As far as I know, the EULA for macOS says that you have to run it on Apple hardware, so hackintoshes aren't (technically) allowed. That being said, and me being a Mac lover, I've still looked into them out of my constant desire to tinker. 

36 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

the sad reality is mac hardware kinda sucks right now. All the macs are using laptop CPUs so you might not like the performance

Most macs run smoothly, just they aren't built for games. If you look at Apple's whole brand and image, you'll see they are mostly aimed at college students, creative professionals (Guys who do video editing, Photoshop, etc.). If you want to use one for gaming, you'll have to way over pay, as that's not what they're made for. If you're Mac runs slow, just max out the ram and put in a SSD. I have a MacBook Pro 2012 for work, and it crawled with 4GB RAM and a spinning disk, but its about 2/3 as fast as the new ones with an SSD and 16GB RAM. This is compared to my cousin/former employers top of the line 2015 MacBook Pro with dGPU*.  It can't outdo it in brute power, but it still can run FCP X just fine, though the Unreal Engine (game design software) runs slow, as it only has the i5's integrated graphics. 

Also, Mac minis aren't user upgradable, still use 2014 CPUs, and get really expensive if you try and get an SSD. 

*Before earlier this year when they took out all the useful ports people who do video and photo editing need, so their thousands of dollars spent on Thunderbolt drives and the like are now useless without an adapter. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 hour ago, Zando Bob said:

As far as I know, the EULA for macOS says that you have to run it on Apple hardware, so hackintoshes aren't (technically) allowed. That being said, and me being a Mac lover, I've still looked into them out of my constant desire to tinker. 

Most macs run smoothly, just they aren't built for games. If you look at Apple's whole brand and image, you'll see they are mostly aimed at college students, creative professionals (Guys who do video editing, Photoshop, etc.). If you want to use one for gaming, you'll have to way over pay, as that's not what they're made for. If you're Mac runs slow, just max out the ram and put in a SSD. I have a MacBook Pro 2012 for work, and it crawled with 4GB RAM and a spinning disk, but its about 2/3 as fast as the new ones with an SSD and 16GB RAM. This is compared to my cousin/former employers top of the line 2015 MacBook Pro with dGPU*.  It can't outdo it in brute power, but it still can run FCP X just fine, though the Unreal Engine (game design software) runs slow, as it only has the i5's integrated graphics. 

Also, Mac minis aren't user upgradable, still use 2014 CPUs, and get really expensive if you try and get an SSD. 

*Before earlier this year when they took out all the useful ports people who do video and photo editing need, so their thousands of dollars spent on Thunderbolt drives and the like are now useless without an adapter. 

thanks captain obvious

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

I personally really love Macs and was initially going to go for an iMac, but as I'm also quite a serious gamer and my home PC isn't the best (GTX 1060 3GB & i5 4460), I decided to buy a PC as well.

Macs are generally much easier to use in my opinion, not to mention that they're a good option for people who can't build PCs.

So yea, overall both have their target audience (obviously) and I'm fond of both, but as Macs can't game too well I think a PC is the way to go for both productivity and gaming.

On 4/1/2017 at 10:33 PM, SCHISCHKA said:

thanks captain obvious

You're welcome, random citizen! Now I am off! Kapwing! 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch