My Ryzen 1700x review (Cinebench,RyzenMaster,Streaming,Gaming)

Hey guys!

After many time consuming take aways I have had to deal with over the last 3 weeks, I finally was able to do my review of the Ryzen 1700x on the AM4 Asus Crosshair Hero motherboard. Did a full video review (which for obvious forum rules won't be posted here) but I am going to take some snippets and share what my experience has been like so far, as I have had a few members ask me to share.

So first off word of warning, most motherboards need a BIOS update for anything AM4, and mine was no exception. The Asus Crosshair Hero was feeding my cpu and ram WAY too much voltage, and would crash every 10 minutes. Had to flash an updated bios from a USB from another computer, and its probably going to still be janky for some time.

The first thing I tested was Cinebench. Know off the bat that Ryzen absolutely benefits from overclocking the cpu and ram. In fact bigger ram kits and higher speeds have a much bigger effect on performance than what I found on Intel. You can see in the picture below my different benchmarks, starting with the 3.4 on the cpu and ram 2133 to the best result with 3.8 and 2400 (Fast as my current ram would overclock with stability.

SYSTEM USED FOR TEST

1700x Ryzen

AM4 ASUS CROSSHAIR MOTHERBOARD

1000 EVGA Gold PSU

3 Amtronics RGB 140 mm Fans

120 MM Deepcool AIO cooler

16gb of 2133 Gskill Ram (Overclocked to 2400)

GTX 1080 SC

Cinebench.thumb.jpg.55667aabe3ced360df96aeef22ba56ed.jpg

The next test was Ryzen Master, this was the utility that AMD provides for overclocking without going into the BIOS. Overall simple to use, but I wouldn't recommend it over the BIOS. One thing to note is my temps where not accurate. The 1700x and 1800x come with a 20C+ degree offset so that the fans will spin up sooner to keep the chip cool. A really dumb move by AMD but there you are, and I couldn't tell exactly what my temps were in any case as no software exists for accuracy right now. Overclocking was not my friend, might of been the board, or bad chip, might be my cooling (Single 120mm radiator AIO) but everytime I went over 3.8 I either had to increase voltage more than I felt comfortable, especially because if left on AUTO it would jump to over 1.8v and no matter what I was getting temps in excess of 90C under full load, and 80 in Idle, again with the 20C+ offset, no way to know if it was really that high or less.

The XFR technology isn't worth it in the chip, only went farther than precision boost for 100hz max and the precision boost only worked with maybe 2-4 cores max under the right conditions. My verdict is that its better to just get the 1700 and overclock it as the other technology is simply not worth the money. Remember overclocking the CPU disables both those features

58dc8dd1d061a_RyzenMaster.thumb.jpg.85c2a9b71ee7d2c49347aa495d0a3f0b.jpg

Now I did do a DOTA2 streaming test to recreate what AMD showcased and I am happy to report its legit! :D I was recording in OBS at 4k and streaming at 1080p without any FPS or Quality loss. The OBS recording was for some reason stutters once or twice, but it must of been just the recording, because in the stream and actually playing it there was none. Here is a video of just that for reference.

Gaming Benchmarks overall were good. I ran 4 games, Witcher 3, Overwatch, Battlefield1 and GTA V to see what kind of performance I could get. All the Tests were done with settings maxed and AA left on. Did 1080p, 1440p, and 4k from left to right. My results for GTA V and Witcher 3 where I saw the most dips, with Witcher 3 struggling on 4k and doing an average of 40 fps with AA left on.

Anyways guys, I hope this helps those looking at Ryzen chips to make some decisions, and give you insight into what the performance will look like.

Overwatch.jpg

Witcher 3.jpg

Battlefield 1.jpg

GTA.jpg

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

how come you didn't get faster RAM? the infinity fabric of AM4 loves faster RAM, so it'll help further in games 

Just now, Technicolors said:

how come you didn't get faster RAM? the infinity fabric of AM4 loves faster RAM, so it'll help further in games 

Its my kit I got, I am upgrading next month, but I wanted to show what you get for what you have.

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

Just now, Abyssal Radon said:

Very good review, some constructive criticism. Your GTA V 1440p FPS shows 0. Graphs would have painted a better picture of your results. Also having an idea of your system's specs would help, for others to possibly recreate or compare results with. 

Ill update that right now, thanks for feedback.

1 hour ago, Thinkfreely said:

Its my kit I got, I am upgrading next month, but I wanted to show what you get for what you have.

here's a rough performance charts of 2133 vs 3200mhz RAM, from r/amd 

edit: though i suppose it doesn't matter if you're running 1080p+ 

8 hours ago, Technicolors said:

here's a rough performance charts of 2133 vs 3200mhz RAM, from r/amd 

edit: though i suppose it doesn't matter if you're running 1080p+ 

True but still gives a good look at whats possible.

Just now, Thinkfreely said:

True but still gives a good look at whats possible.

Also I don't even think I could get 3000hz stable, most users I see max at 2600.