Finally upgrading from HyperX Cloud (Could use some suggestions and help)

Ryzone

Hey everybody, I've finally got some cash to upgrade my audio setup and wanted to ask you guys for some help and guidance on my upgrade. I'm currently using the first version of the HyperX Cloud. This headset has served me well for a few years now. The mic on this thing is on its last leg and I would like something new that's going to impress me. 

I picked up the Micca OriGen a couple years ago, because my on-board audio had an issue and just wanted something better.

My Budget is $400 and has to be through amazon. I also need a microphone. I'm not looking for a headset, I want to get a nice pair of headphones with a separate microphone. 

Here are some of the headphones that interest me:

Beyerdynamic DT-990-Pro-250

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80

Sennheiser HD 558

Sennheiser HD 579

Philips SHP9500

As for microphones, I'm leaning towards getting the Audio-Technica AT2020USB. The reason I want to get something like this is because I'm tired of breaking microphones on headsets and also prefer this over the bulky looking Blue Yeti. 

I want to add for headphones. I'm not an audiophile or anything, but I also want to be in aww whatever set of cans I choose to go with. I've heard really good things about the DT770's. From the HyperX Cloud's I'm using I would like to have more bass these feel boring to me. That is why I'm looking for that WOW moment of like damn, I've been missing out kinda reaction when putting on some nice headphones. Anyways I'll just keep rambling if I don't stop this post here haha. Thanks for taking the time if you've read this far I'm just here with an open mind on what I should upgrade to.

Also wanted to add if it helps on what headphones are best here's some music / Bands I mainly listen to.

Tool

A Perfect Circle

Breaking Benjamin 

Judas Priest

Perhaps beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus?
Amazon offers them for $200 with an Accessory Kit and Remote Microphone Cable. 

They will have very decent sound and a 3-level bass selector. So you get a portable headphone along with it being good for the home.

The DT770s suffer from the ever-present beyer issue - not much bass, neutral in that respect.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

5 minutes ago, FIXXX said:

The DT770s suffer from the ever-present beyer issue - not much bass, neutral in that respect.

I thought the DT770s were famous for having a lot of bass or am I wrong?

16 minutes ago, Ryzone said:

I thought the DT770s were famous for having a lot of bass or am I wrong?

They have a bit more bass than other models - but not as much as to count as bassy.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

I would go for DT770 for closed back or DT990 for open backs, DT770 have a lot of bass imo, well compared to any headphone i used so far, very immersive but the bass can be overwhelming sometimes.. DT990 is similar to it but open back, kinda V shape sound, great imaging and positioning for games but the treble can be a little bit harsh for some people.

SHP9500 also have this treble minor issue..

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

Just now, nicobombai said:

I would go for DT770 for closed back or DT990 for open backs, DT770 have a lot of bass imo, well compared to any headphone i used so far, very immersive but the bass can be overwhelming sometimes.. DT990 is similar to it but open back, kinda V shape sound, great imaging and positioning for games but the treble can be a little bit harsh for some people.

SHP9500 also have this treble minor issue..

Hey thanks for the reply. I've been sitting here pretty much all day trying to make my mind up. I'm currently leaning towards the 598s / DT990 or DT770. I have a question you might know. I'm currently using the HyperX Cloud and whenever I get up to do something I have to re-adjust them, because the metal part of the headband slips from the notches. The Beyerdynamic's have the same design and was wondering if they stay adjusted or does the band slip on them aswell?

I have never encountered that problem tbh, clouds are based on takstar pro 80 which is based on DT series iirc..

The clamping force will prevent it slipping around, but since you're living in the states, order both of them and return the one you dont like maybe? 

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

7 minutes ago, nicobombai said:

I have never encountered that problem tbh, clouds are based on takstar pro 80 which is based on DT series iirc..

The clamping force will prevent it slipping around, but since you're living in the states, order both of them and return the one you dont like maybe? 

Id rather just choose one and be done with it lol. Do you think the 990s would be a better headphone for acoustic music?

Between DT770 and 990, yes imo, but mind you that the treble can be a little bit too much for some people :P

2 minutes ago, nicobombai said:

Between DT770 and 990, yes imo, but mind you that the treble can be a little bit too much for some people :P

hmm yeah I might have to go to a local guitar center to see if they have these on display, because I'm really not sure which I would like.

2 minutes ago, Ryzone said:

hmm yeah I might have to go to a local guitar center to see if they have these on display, because I'm really not sure which I would like.

Ah yes! That would be a great idea! Good luck! :D