Intel Optane?

So considering that this is a non-volatile memory, and also fits in an m.2 I assume that it would have faster read/write speeds than my SATA interface SSD? Also, would operating systems be stored directly onto the optane? 

You can't decide what goes on it, it just caches whatever it wants.

Stick with your SSD until they make optane SSDs that you can use as a normal drive.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Doomerson said:

So it just randomly caches memory? 

Pretty much.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

4 hours ago, TheKDub said:

Pretty much.

I can imagine it has some sort of technology that priorities certain programs over others? I don't know but that's just a guess 

Just now, Doomerson said:

I can imagine it has some sort of technology that priorities certain programs over others? I don't know but that's just a guess 

The ones you use most. But 32GB isn't much, and it's way more convenient to have everything sped up with a regular SSD than just a few things that you use often.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

9 minutes ago, Doomerson said:

So it just randomly caches memory? 

not ram, but hdd, its just a glorifed hdd cache like the smart responce from 5 years ago. Just buy a hdd and don't worry about a cache.

My rig has

mobo: Asus h110m d series

And Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA

If I use something like the Intel optane will my rig be fast and can you suggest something for my rig

4 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

not ram, but hdd, its just a glorifed hdd cache like the smart responce from 5 years ago. Just buy a hdd and don't worry about a cache.

so as mentioned within the video, it just a good way too make a PC with only HDD storage have some faster boot times?

4 hours ago, Vasanth said:

My rig has

If I use something like the Intel optane will my rig be fast and can you suggest something for my rig

I'm pretty sure Optane only works with the z270 chipset

7 minutes ago, Enderman said:

The ones you use most. But 32GB isn't much,

32GB is enough to fit an entire Windows install

1 minute ago, Vasanth said:

My rig has

no, you cannot use Optane on that

Optane requires:

• 200 series mobo
  • Kaby Lake CPU

Just now, TechGeekk said:

does this perform like hybrid storage?

yes, sort of like SSHDs

Ah, I wonder if new builds should use SSHDs or go with HDD and optane

2 minutes ago, Doomerson said:

I'm pretty sure Optane only works with the z270 chipset

Then can u suggest something like that for my rig

What about if you used it to cache a 960 drive or similar? Better performance in some areas?

4 minutes ago, zMeul said:

32GB is enough to fit an entire Windows install

It's already proven that the amount of time it takes windows to boot is not bottlenecked by storage speed past sata.

A regular sata SSD takes the same amount of time.

If you buy nvme or optane just for faster boot then you're wasting money. It is not faster.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

It's already proven that the amount of time it takes windows to boot is not bottlenecked by storage speed past sata.

A regular sata SSD takes the same amount of time.

If you buy nvme or optane just for faster boot then you're wasting money. It is not faster.

few things:

Optane can be used with HDDs and that's the main attraction if you are limited in number of disk drives you can have, laptops for example

NVMe is much much much more expensive, even SATA if you compare to how much big of a HDD can you get for the same money

How about 

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

few things:

Optane can be used with HDDs and that's the main attraction if you are limited in number of disk drives you can have, laptops for example

NVMe is much much much more expensive, even SATA if you compare to how much big of a HDD can you get for the same money

Is there any other products like the same which can be used for a 6th gen chipset

Just now, Vasanth said:

How about 

Is there any other products like the same which can be used for a 6th gen chipset

other than buying a SSHD, nope

7 minutes ago, TechGeekk said:

Ah, I wonder if new builds should use SSHDs or go with HDD and optane

I think yEs cuz it's cheap than buying an ssd

15 minutes ago, zMeul said:

few things:

But the cache is only 32GB, so only 32GB of the things are going to be fast, regardless of the size of the HDD.

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Enderman said:

But the cache is only 32GB, so only 32GB of the things are going to be fast, regardless of the size of the HDD.

depends on how good the algorithm is

I'd wait for the real world workloads to pass judgement

the bigger question is if this works independent of the OS, like in Linux