Intel Optane?

11 minutes ago, zMeul said:

depends on how good the algorithm is

I'd wait for the real world workloads to pass judgement

the bigger question is if this works independent of the OS, like in Linux

If you have to use everything at least twice to get the performance boost, then IMO that sucks and is not worth it.

A single SSD that speeds up everything is still better if you can afford it.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

45 minutes ago, Doomerson said:

I'm pretty sure Optane only works with the z270 chipset

not just the z170, all 200 series chips, so all new h210 b250 boards will also work. Also most desktops and laptops with kaby lake will also support it.

Will these work with x99 + Xeon E5 2600 v3/v4 chips for (L5) Cache?

3 hours ago, zMeul said:

depends on how good the algorithm is

I'd wait for the real world workloads to pass judgement

the bigger question is if this works independent of the OS, like in Linux

If it didn't, then you wouldn't need a Kaby Lake CPU or 200 series motherboard.

3 hours ago, Enderman said:

If you have to use everything at least twice to get the performance boost, then IMO that sucks and is not worth it.

A single SSD that speeds up everything is still better if you can afford it.

That's how a ton of stuff works though, especially in Windows.  Prefetch and Superfetch are examples.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

4 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

If it didn't, then you wouldn't need a Kaby Lake CPU or 200 series motherboard.

what does that have to do with anything!?

last time I checked, since last year's (was it) Lenovo incident

Linux is still not capable of recognizing Intel RST - for Optane, PCH needs to be set in RAID mode

7 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

That's how a ton of stuff works though, especially in Windows.  Prefetch and Superfetch are examples.

When you have windows and all your programs and files on an SSD, they are ALWAYS accessed at the SSD speed, regardless of superfetch.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

11 hours ago, TechGeekk said:

Ah, I wonder if new builds should use SSHDs or go with HDD and optane

Right now I would guess the SSHD is the better option just because more support and its a little more mature technology. Optane is kind of limited to what it can be used on and may not be a viable option for most people atm.

i5 6600k @ 4.4ghz on Hyper 212 Evo

Powercolor RX 480 8Gb Red Devil @1330Mhz

Bottom line:  Don't be a spaz or an 800lb gorilla when installing your expensive CPU, and you won't have any problems. --Phate.exe

55 minutes ago, Enderman said:

When you have windows and all your programs and files on an SSD, they are ALWAYS accessed at the SSD speed, regardless of superfetch.

Superfetch caches everything in the RAM. The second time I load GIMP (too poor for Photoshop XD) is far faster, even though it's on a flash drive. 

RAPID and Momentum Cache do the same thing, but they cache any frequently accessed files, not just executables like Superfetch. 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440