Someone added money to my Amazon Account

Go to solution Solved by Hunter7263,
16 minutes ago, anoor9000 said:

So today, I get an email that says my Amazon email has been changed. My original amazon email was "INSERT MY NAME HERE@gmail.com", and the person changed it to "INSERT MY NAME HERE@tutanota.com". They used my exact same name, but changed the email domain to Tutanota. So I went to amazon.com (typed it in, not clicking on a link in the email) and tried to log in with my old credentials which didn't work. Then I tried the new email with my old password and it worked. Long story short, the account got locked, called amazon, got it unlocked, and secured my account. 

Now Im looking at my amazon settings and it says I have $163.83 of amazon gift cards, when I never added a gift card to my account. I'm not sure whether to think of this as a bad or a good thing! I scanned for malware with malwarebytes and bitdefender and they found nothing. 

I have to fire sticks with Kodi installed on them, so I'm not sure if that is how this person got into my account. 

What do I do?

Thanks!

Dont spend it until you ask Amazon. I know people use stolen credit cards to get giftcards to get stuff off amazon. Its a weird convoluted process and I dont know why its dont but I know they care be charged back if its considered fraudulent.

So today, I get an email that says my Amazon email has been changed. My original amazon email was "INSERT MY NAME HERE@gmail.com", and the person changed it to "INSERT MY NAME HERE@tutanota.com". They used my exact same name, but changed the email domain to Tutanota. So I went to amazon.com (typed it in, not clicking on a link in the email) and tried to log in with my old credentials which didn't work. Then I tried the new email with my old password and it worked. Long story short, the account got locked, called amazon, got it unlocked, and secured my account. 

Now Im looking at my amazon settings and it says I have $163.83 of amazon gift cards, when I never added a gift card to my account. I'm not sure whether to think of this as a bad or a good thing! I scanned for malware with malwarebytes and bitdefender and they found nothing. 

I have to fire sticks with Kodi installed on them, so I'm not sure if that is how this person got into my account. 

What do I do?

Thanks!

Spend it?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

Spend it?

That's what Im thinking of doing. But I don't want this money being from some malicious place (like my credit card). I'm trying to check statements now...

I'd say spend it

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

You will call Amazon tell them about it and then see if you're allow to spend it or not.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

What do I do?

Thanks!

Dont spend it until you ask Amazon. I know people use stolen credit cards to get giftcards to get stuff off amazon. Its a weird convoluted process and I dont know why its dont but I know they care be charged back if its considered fraudulent.

2 hours ago, Hunter7263 said:

I called Amazon and they said that money was a refund for an order placed on Jan 27 that apparently I never got (EVEN THOUGH I HAVE IT RIGHT NOW). For some reason, the "refund" was processed TODAY, when the attack occurred. 

I have no idea what to do now....

Just now, anoor9000 said:

I called Amazon and they said that money was a refund for an order placed on Jan 27 that apparently I never got (EVEN THOUGH I HAVE IT RIGHT NOW). For some reason, the "refund" was processed TODAY, when the attack occurred. 

I have no idea what to do now....

If they gave you a refund for something you still have they are expecting it. They will recharge you for it if they don't receive the item in some time frame. Be careful and explain things to them to make sure.

1 hour ago, Hunter7263 said:

If they gave you a refund for something you still have they are expecting it. They will recharge you for it if they don't receive the item in some time frame. Be careful and explain things to them to make sure.

Why would they refund the money before they received the item? I never requested this refund and it doesn't make sense that I am able to return an order i placed almost 2 months ago. I'll call them again. 

1 hour ago, Hunter7263 said:

They don't know how the hacker or whoever was able to request a refund and how they did it so fast. But They took the money off my account and apparently fixed everything

They don't know how the hacker or whoever was able to request a refund and how they did it so fast. But They took the money off my account and apparently fixed everything

It's better that it got sorted out that way instead of you spending it and later on amazon figuring out what happened and assuming that you were the hacker. IMHO you saved some karma there.

System

Case- Thermaltake Core V21 / CPU - i7 4790 / GPU - Asus Strix GTX 1070 / Mobo - Gigabyte Z97 mx / Ram - 4x4 gb GSkill Sniper DDR3 1866 / Storage - 2x WD Black 1tb drives, 1x 120gb OCZ SSD / Cooler - Cooler Master TX3 / PSU - EVGA G2 650w / Audio - Sennheiser PC 350 SE / Monitor - Asus 1920X1080 @60hz / Keyboard & Mouse - Cooler Master Devastator II / OS - Windows 10 Enterprise

1 hour ago, anoor9000 said:

Why would they refund the money before they received the item? I never requested this refund and it doesn't make sense that I am able to return an order i placed almost 2 months ago. I'll call them again. 

Oddly enough its standard practice for them. I'm glad you worked things out. I suspect that they hacker tried to get a refund and then use that to buy things. 

In a way it makes sense. Say you need to return a headset you bought for a better one. If you have to wait a week for amazon to return your money maybe you have forgotten by then or changed your mind. By getting the refund quickly and giving you a bit of lee way to return they can in turn make it more likely that you will turn around and spend the money again.