Q-code 00 on Maximus IX Hero

Since either my second or third day with my newly built system I've been receiving a 00 Q-code on my Maximus IX Hero and the machine won't boot.  I'm able to resolve this by flipping the switch on the PSU off and then back on.  Then I'm able to use it for the rest of the evening but the following day after 18 or so hours of unuse, I get the same issue.  Anyone familiar with this particular issue?  The BIOS is up-to-date (1801).

I'll have to re-check but not that I remember, just the q-code LED.  Everything else in the system, the liquid cooling, fans, etc. is running.  The only other thing I noticed being off was the keyboard.  The weirdest thing is that by depowering it it boots up without any issue.  And can even be shut down and booted back up for the rest of the evening without issue.  It's only after a period of sitting that I come back to it and have this issue until I depower it again.

1 hour ago, soccastar001 said:

Since either my second or third day with my newly built system I've been receiving a 00 Q-code on my Maximus IX Hero and the machine won't boot.  I'm able to resolve this by flipping the switch on the PSU off and then back on.  Then I'm able to use it for the rest of the evening but the following day after 18 or so hours of unuse, I get the same issue.  Anyone familiar with this particular issue?  The BIOS is up-to-date (1801).

1 hour ago, soccastar001 said:

I'll have to re-check but not that I remember, just the q-code LED.  Everything else in the system, the liquid cooling, fans, etc. is running.  The only other thing I noticed being off was the keyboard.  The weirdest thing is that by depowering it it boots up without any issue.  And can even be shut down and booted back up for the rest of the evening without issue.  It's only after a period of sitting that I come back to it and have this issue until I depower it again.

"00" on Asus boards means a dead or missing CPU, but can also be an indication of an issue with the motherboard.

With that said, I had a similar issue with one of the 7700k's that I was installing on my Hero on my test bench.  I was able to fix it by completely uninstalling the CPU and reinstalling it.  I'm fairly certain that in my case, I tightened down the cooler too much and it caused the issue.

Hopefully that helps.

In my case I think it has something to do with overclocking.  After resetting the BIOS to base CPU clock my issue disappeared.  I would of course like to be able to overclock my CPU though, you don't buy a 7700K to run it at base clock and I'm using a custom loop.  I even tried being a lot more conservative and had the OC down to 4.7 and the issue still existed.  Is there something specific that might be going on that would allow me to resolve this issue and still OC?

Did you overclock on thing at a time?  Did you first overclock the CPU and run stability tests before moving onto to memory and CPU cache?  

Yes indeed.  It passed stress tests and everything was stable and still is once I actually get into my machine.  It's just that it won't boot after sitting for a while unless I power off the PSU and back on.

2 hours ago, soccastar001 said:

Yes indeed.  It passed stress tests and everything was stable and still is once I actually get into my machine.  It's just that it won't boot after sitting for a while unless I power off the PSU and back on.

I see you posting on OCN as well.  Did you mention the problem over there?  You'll usually get more technical answers from that crowd.

On 3/29/2017 at 2:43 PM, soccastar001 said:

Yeah I did.  Shotgun method to try to find help.

Any fix?

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

I was finally able to resolve the issue.  It looks like the XMP profile for my RAM (Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 16-18-18-36) was the culprit.  Specifically the automatic values for VCCIO and SA.  With some fine tuning I settled upon 1.2 for VCCIO (which is lower than the automatic value the BIOS was setting it at) and 1.225 for SA (higher than the automatic value).  This took quite a bit of finagling, especially since the edits had to go in two different directions than the BIOS/XMP profile was setting them at automatically.  Once I stumbled upon these values though the machine has been booting without issue for a few days now.  Thanks for all the advice.

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is over a year old, but this issue just happened to me. First thing I did was try switching it on/off on PSU and then I took out the cable that gives PSU power... nothing. Next thing I did was UNPLUG and PLUG BACK IN THE 8PIN CPU Cable, which WORKED!

hope this helps anyone who sees this!

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/5/2018 at 4:04 PM, Pretzels14 said:

I know this thread is over a year old, but this issue just happened to me. First thing I did was try switching it on/off on PSU and then I took out the cable that gives PSU power... nothing. Next thing I did was UNPLUG and PLUG BACK IN THE 8PIN CPU Cable, which WORKED!

hope this helps anyone who sees this!

Ohhh! Thank you very much!! This worked for me!! I just logged to say Thank you