Thoughts about the XFX RX 470 RS 4GB

tyler1
Go to solution Solved by david cassar,
1 hour ago, tyler1 said:

I forgot to to mention that I'm using an Intel Xeon W3550, and I'm plannig to upgrade to an Intel Xeon X5670 in the future. After rethinking things, I'm asking myself if the CPU will bottleneck the RX 470 for instance, so getting a GTX 1050 Ti wouldn't be a wiser choise price/performance? Also I'm thinking that getting an RX 470/480 would be an overkill since I can get the same amount of FPS with a 1050 Ti, correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you!

Nope the x5670 will be absolutely fine with the rx 470. A youtuber paired the rx 470 with an overclocked xeon x3450 (4 core 8 thread similar to the one you have now) and it worked absolutely fine.

I'm planning to get this card soon, as it's the only card available that I can afford right now besides the Sapphire Nitro one. I'm turning into you guys, who own this card, and want to know what's the average temp that you're getting in games and is it too noisy? Also how does it compare with a gtx 1060 3 gb?

1 minute ago, tyler1 said:

compare with a gtx 1060 3 gb

it doesn't, rx480 is better than 1060 3gb.  

Thanks for answering, something that I forgot to add is that I have a 1280x1024 monitor @75Hz. Do you think getting an RX 480 wouldn't be an overkill? and getting a 1050 Ti isnt a wiser choice?

26 minutes ago, tyler1 said:

Thanks for answering, something that I forgot to add is that I have a 1280x1024 monitor @75Hz. Do you think getting an RX 480 wouldn't be an overkill? and getting a 1050 Ti isnt a wiser choice?

yes, the 480 would be overkill. can't respond to the 1050Ti, never used one. check guru3d for video card reviews ( hardware reviews tab ), until you find a review that has the 470 and 1050Ti. buy the better card. ....http://www.guru3d.com/articles-categories/videocards.html

its a good card, RX 470 vs 1060 3GB the 1060 3GB comes out on top by a bit IIRC.

28 minutes ago, tyler1 said:

get the RX 470 IMO, will be nicer if you upgrade to 1080p later

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Thanks for answering, gonna get either RX 470 or 480

I forgot to to mention that I'm using an Intel Xeon W3550, and I'm plannig to upgrade to an Intel Xeon X5670 in the future. After rethinking things, I'm asking myself if the CPU will bottleneck the RX 470 for instance, so getting a GTX 1050 Ti wouldn't be a wiser choise price/performance? Also I'm thinking that getting an RX 470/480 would be an overkill since I can get the same amount of FPS with a 1050 Ti, correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you!

A 470 is not overkill for 1080p at all. The 480 and 1060 are still firmly 1080p cards even

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

@Moress Thanks for clarifying this. But in my case, I'm using a 1280x1024 monitor, that's why I'm asking myself this.

The rx 470 and the GTX 1060 3GB trade blows in many games. Both are good cards, but the 470 is the 1080p value king, on LTT as well as many other tech sites/youtube channels.

I found the MSI Gaming X model on sale for less than the cheapest 1060 3GB I could find,and couldn't be happier with it.

10 minutes ago, tyler1 said:

@Moress Thanks for clarifying this. But in my case, I'm using a 1280x1024 monitor, that's why I'm asking myself this.

That res will act a lot like 1080p

Btw any dual fan internal dissipation card will be fine

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

1 minute ago, Moress said:

Really?! And here I thought that I would get an increase in FPS on games. If that's the case, then it's all decided I'm going to get either an RX 480. Are you sure about this?

49 minutes ago, tyler1 said:

Really?! And here I thought that I would get an increase in FPS on games. If that's the case, then it's all decided I'm going to get either an RX 480. Are you sure about this?

You will get about 35% more fps with that 1280x1024 display, over a 1920x1080 display... when the game is GPU limited.

What do you mean by " game that is GPU limited " ?

1 hour ago, Moress said:

Btw any dual fan internal dissipation card will be fine

not even close. c'mon already. you sell used cars or something?

45 minutes ago, tyler1 said:

What do you mean by " game that is GPU limited " ?

It means the GPU is pushed to it's maximum level of performance when running a program/app/game, while other components like the CPU are not running at max.

Like if you are running a game and getting 60FPS.  You would look at the PC's resources and see the GPU is running at 99% while the CPU is only using 40% of the available speed it has.  If you get a faster GPU in this case, your 60FPS mark will turn into a higher number.

...and use the quote feature or people might not see your question.

1 hour ago, tyler1 said:

Thank you!

Nope the x5670 will be absolutely fine with the rx 470. A youtuber paired the rx 470 with an overclocked xeon x3450 (4 core 8 thread similar to the one you have now) and it worked absolutely fine.