has there been a cpu without pins?

has there been one? if not why pins? also on the motherboard what's all the prickly stuff on the back of it? sometimes front (I'm new to building pc's and only know about how fast stuff runs and what's compatible with what and also how to build) I dont know any thing about the small stuff like that

MY MAIN BUILD AT FATHERS HOUSE!

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8300 3.3GHz 8-Core Processor CPU COOLER:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard

RAM: 32gb ddr3

Hard Drive:  Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Graphics Card:  MSI Radeon RX 470 DirectX 12 Radeon RX 470 ARMOR 4G OC 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Case: Rosewill TYRFING ATX Mid Tower Case

Network Adapter:  TP-Link TL-WN781ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter

Case Fans:  Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan (PLUS THE STOCK CASE FAN)

Monitor:  Asus VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor

Keyboard:  Thermaltake CHALLENGER PRIME Wired Gaming Keyboard

Mouse:  MSI Interceptor DS B1 Wired Optical Mouse

Speakers: Logitech Z200 0W 2ch Speakers

just a short answer data transfer, CPUs are made of things called transistor that executes instructions, pins are the fastest way to interface with a mobo. 

Well intel CPUs don't have pins (although intel sockets do)

pins are needed to have electrical contact.

pads on both sides would suck, because then the CPU would need to be perfectly flat to work, and it simply wouldn't be good.

the stuff on the back is solder points. just sharp and annoying, nothing inherently electrical about them. simply points where stuff is connected to the board.

(you can smooth down the sharp bits if you want and it won't kill the board AFAIK)

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

3 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Well intel CPUs don't have pins (although intel sockets do)

pins are needed to have electrical contact.

pads on both sides would suck, because then the CPU would need to be perfectly flat to work, and it simply wouldn't be good.

the stuff on the back is solder points. just sharp and annoying, nothing inherently electrical about them. simply points where stuff is connected to the board.

(you can smooth down the sharp bits if you want and it won't kill the board AFAIK)

intel and amd both have pins, intel has pins in mobo amd has pins on cpu. 

1 minute ago, Daniel Z. said:

Intel CPUs don't have pins. 

look in your mobo cpu socket 

It's called Ball Grid Array (BGA). Instead of pins, solder balls are used to connect the CPU to the mainboard.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

The pins for Intel CPUs nowadays are on the socket itself. As to the "prickly" stuff on the underside of the motherboard, those are the solder joints for various components of the board. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

2 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

look in your mobo cpu socket 

Lol. I am not stupid, the pins are in the socket, but the CPU doesn't have pins

Just now, Daniel Z. said:

Lol. I am not stupid, the pins are in the socket, but the CPU doesn't have pins

those are called cpu pins 

To cut the story short, data transfer need pins whether on the CPU (AMD) or on the socket (Intel). You won't need to worry about the solder joints at the back as long as you don't short them out. LOL. 

Some motherboards and GPUs have backplates to protect the PCB, not really necessary, but if you have the money get one. It contributes to aesthetics too! :D 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

those are called cpu pins 

Not on the CPU, but in the socket.

Not on the CPU, but in the socket.

to interface with the cpu, that's why its called cpu pins.

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

Yes, but they are not on the cpu

Yes, but they are not on the cpu

nvm, not even gonna try, here a video, i haven't watched but this should help 

12 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

That still aren't on the CPU. Yes we get your argument. It's true the CPU pins are in the motherboard, but the CPU itself doesn't come with pins, they are not in the box that contains your CPU when you buy it. If you don't purchase a motherboard to accommodate an Intel CPU that you purchased then you're an idiot (you also have a processor that doesn't have CPU pins). Therefore Intel CPUs do not have pins... Intel based motherboards do.

Edited by ATFink
Original post could have been misinterpreted

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

2 minutes ago, ATFink said:

(and your an idiot).

its better to understand a topic before launching personal attacks, let's make that cpu work without pins, OP was asking about functionality of the pins so on amd side the cpu has pins, intel side mobo has pins, you can't make a cpu work without them. i was pointing out no cpu currently on intel or amd side works without use of pins. 

4 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

its better to understand a topic before launching personal attacks, let's make that cpu work without pins, OP was asking about functionality of the pins so on amd side the cpu has pins, intel side mobo has pins, you can't make a cpu work without them. i was pointing out no cpu currently on intel or amd side works without use of pins. 

I didn't mean you were an idiot. I was referring to some arbitrary person that decides to purchase a CPU without a motherboard to support said CPU. That kind of person would be the idiot, not you. I edited the original post to reflect that because I noticed it could be read in a way that I did not intend.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

• 3 years later...

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but nobody fully addressed OPs question, so my forum OCD forced me to go as far as to create an account in LTT just to answer this... so here it goes. Both Intel and AMD DID sell a CPU with no pins.. Those CPUs had golden fingers, the same as a PCIe card, and they were installed in a slot in the mobo. For Intel, it was called "Slot 1", and for AMD it was called "Slot A". But that was not the best approach because the electricity between the CPU inernal circuitry and the mobo had to travel a longer distance, meaning slower performance... that is why the went back to sickets on the mobo, and as close as they can be to memory slots, to have better performance.

Now I think my forum OCD can go to sleep... and so this thread (hits zombie thread with a shovel).

LGA = land grid array, pins in socket

PGA = Pin Grid Array, pins on cpu

BGA = Ball grid array, soldered cpu to board.

Also in the way distant past, slotted socket cpus such as slot 1 and slot A. Just like a ram stick only bigger :)

In early 2000's Some Intel and AMD cpu's were on cards that slotted in like PCI-E slots... it didn't work that well and it was hard to put a heatsink on it. 

I know lots AMD's that died in the slot era from heat. 

Asrock X670E Steel Legend - AMD 7600X(5.5Ghz) -  XFX Speedster-Zero EKWB Edition 6900XTXH 

-32GB Kingston Fury Beast 6000mhz DDR5 - WB Black 1 & 2 TB NVME -EVGA 1300W G2

Full loop 2x480mm XSPC RX Rads / Thermaltake Pacific W8 Block

Had two of these, an Intel Premium III 450mhz and an AMD Athlon 1000mhz

41 minutes ago, solarflare said:

In early 2000's Some Intel and AMD cpu's were on cards that slotted in like PCI-E slots... it didn't work that well and it was hard to put a heatsink on it. 

I know lots AMD's that died in the slot era from heat. 

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Woah, I don't even remember making this thread!! Well thank you guys so much! For the replies

MY MAIN BUILD AT FATHERS HOUSE!

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8300 3.3GHz 8-Core Processor CPU COOLER:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard

RAM: 32gb ddr3

Hard Drive:  Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Graphics Card:  MSI Radeon RX 470 DirectX 12 Radeon RX 470 ARMOR 4G OC 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Case: Rosewill TYRFING ATX Mid Tower Case

Network Adapter:  TP-Link TL-WN781ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter

Case Fans:  Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan (PLUS THE STOCK CASE FAN)

Monitor:  Asus VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor

Keyboard:  Thermaltake CHALLENGER PRIME Wired Gaming Keyboard

Mouse:  MSI Interceptor DS B1 Wired Optical Mouse

Speakers: Logitech Z200 0W 2ch Speakers

Lol yeah a little necro. I didnt realize it till after I had posted :P