Seagate Drives

UMxMarky94
Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,
2 minutes ago, UMxMarky94 said:

@Oshino Shinobu @Princess Cadence @deXxterlab97

thanks i take it this translates across to their 2.5in drive well as i am looking at THIS drive 

Yep, that drive is fine. 

For reference, the 3TB drive that has/had issues is the ST3000DM001

Are seagate drives as bad as people say ? I have looking for a 3-4tb 2.5 hard drive and i have read that there drives are not as good as other vendors (WD Toshiba etc) 

Is this true or people fanboying or talking about time gone bye where they are unreliable.

Thanks 

They are fine, just avoid 1.5TB and 3TB.

I had several WD and Seagate drives over years and none has ever failed on me.

3 minutes ago, UMxMarky94 said:

Are seagate drives as bad as people say ? I have looking for a 3-4tb 2.5 hard drive and i have read that there drives are not as good as other vendors (WD Toshiba etc) 

Is this true or people fanboying or talking about time gone bye where they are unreliable.

Thanks 

I had a 2tb Seagate die after 5 years. And it's not the hard disk that went out but the PCB.

So take that how you will.

Don't talk about stale memes.

8 minutes ago, WereCat said:

typical as the 3tb one is the one i am looking at 

13 minutes ago, WereCat said:

The 1.5TB and 3TB drives that had issues have long been phased out and replaced by versions that fixed the problems. You may still find one or two skulling around but the vast majority of new drives are the updated versions. 

@UMxMarky94 Seagate has got an undeserved bad reputation because of a company called BackBlaze who released wildly unrepresentative and invalid data as "reliability" statistics. After that, people just repeated others saying that Seagate was bad without doing any research of their own, similar to how the Corsair CX series was inappropriately labelled as completely terrible on this forum until those that actually understood the problems managed to get others to understand where the CX series is appropriate. 

Seagate did have issues with some specific 1.5TB and 3TB models, but they have since (a couple of years ago, it's not a recent thing) updated their drives to fix the issues. 

Their 1tb 7200rpm ones are solid good price picks.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

Their 1tb 7200rpm ones are solid good price picks.

And their 2tb 7200rpm too that I have. WD doesn't have an equivalent for similar price and speed at 2tb option 

Just now, kurtstir said:

Have you looked into the 2TB firecuda hybrid drive? 7200 RPM with 8gb cache

i did but i'm after the capacity then the speed 

1 minute ago, kurtstir said:

Have you looked into the 2TB firecuda hybrid drive? 7200 RPM with 8gb cache

The 8GB cache on hybrid drives barely makes a difference except in a few rare cases. It's not worth losing 1TB for at the same price. 

Just now, UMxMarky94 said:

i did but i'm after the capacity then the speed 

Oh alright

IM BACK BABY

1 minute ago, kurtstir said:

Oh alright

yeah i'm using it in a bit of a odd case really. replacing my 3.5in drive in my current build so i can hide it in a 2.5 mount behind the mobo tray so i can move my AIO to the front of the case to use in push pull 

yeah i'm using it in a bit of a odd case really. replacing my 3.5in drive in my current build so i can hide it in a 2.5 mount behind the mobo tray so i can move my AIO to the front of the case to use in push pull 

You found a 2.5inch hdd?

IM BACK BABY

1 minute ago, UMxMarky94 said:

Oh I feel stupid as hell, Forgot laptop drives worked just as well in desktops for a second.

IM BACK BABY

Just now, kurtstir said:

Oh I feel stupid as hell, Forgot laptop drives worked just as well in desktops for a second.

derp moment ?

derp moment ?

yep

IM BACK BABY