Help me pick a RX480

ajhockey1

Today is a good day! Sence starting my first job, I can finally afford to upgrade my dreadful R7 260X. I have decided to go for the RX480 but do not know what one to pick

Https://Www.Newegg.Com/Product/Produ...82E16814131706  I am from Canada and I could find this on newegg.ca earlier but suddenly disipeard anyways, imo this card looks like garbage and I have a windowed side panel, also the cooler worries me. And powercolor isn't a big name as currently. SO KEEP IN MIND THIS IS IN USD

Https://Www.Newegg.Ca/Product/Produc...82E16814137082  MSI reference design with 4GB of VRAM, IMO looks super sexy and attractive

Https://Www.Amazon.Ca/Dual-Fan-Radeo...Eywords=RX+480   better cooler, looks pretty meh, no special features

Https://Www.Amazon.Ca/VisionTek-Prod...Eywords=RX+480   most expensive one here, reference card with 8GB of VRAM, don't think Ill take this option as I only play at 1080P

What card of these would you pick? I am trying really hard to make my budget UNDER $300CAD after taxes and shipping

get the GTR, its the best card

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Dual, don't go for reference or PowerColor Red Dragon

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

get the GTR, its the best card

Sorry what one is the GTR?

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

Dual, don't go for reference or PowerColor Red Dragon

any particular reason why?

Just now, ajhockey1 said:

any particular reason why?

I have a PC Red Dragon. Runs really hot. And loud too. So I'd avoid it. As for Reference card they are always loud and hot

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I have a PC Red Dragon. Runs really hot. And loud too. So I'd avoid it. As for Reference card they are always loud and hot

I watched a ton of reviews for the reference RX 480 and the fan sounded pretty good but card cooked itself in exchange to not be a typical reference jet engine

This is the GTR and is probably the best 480 out there:

https://www.amazon.ca/XFX-Radeon-1288MHZ-Graphics-RX-480P8DFA6/dp/B01J8CCUL2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1489613489&sr=1-1&keywords=RX+480+GTR

Don't bother with reference when so many AIB's do things better.I have a reference 480 and while it works I wish I could have held off a month.

Just joined the forum? Read this:

A Quick Guide To Get Started

Need Help Doing Something? Read this:

Guides & Tutorials Catalog

Need a New SSD? Read this:

Droidbot's SATA3 SSD Tier List

Need a New PSU? Read this:

PSU Tier List

In the mood for some memes? Look at these:

Linus Memes

Want to know my PC Specs and Peripherals?

Spoiler

CPU - Intel Xeon E5 2609 v3     Motherboard - ASRock X99 Extreme3      RAM - 16gb HyperX Fury DDR4      GPU - EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 SC      

Case - Inwin 103       Storage - HyperX Savage 240gb SSD      PSU - 550W Enermax NAXN      Display(s) - 2x Lenovo L27i-28, Dell 24"      Cooling - Corsair H100i Platinum     Keyboard - Corsair K95 Platinum MX Speed      Mouse - Logitech G900      Sound - Audio Technica ATH-M50x     Operating System - Windows 10 Pro

Join the LTT F@H Team!

You can help scientists studying Alzheimer's, Huntington's, and many cancers by simply running a piece of software on your computer.

Start now: Folding@Home Install Guide and Links

4 minutes ago, ajhockey1 said:

I watched a ton of reviews for the reference RX 480 and the fan sounded pretty good but card cooked itself in exchange to not be a typical reference jet engine

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

5 minutes ago, DoctorWho1975 said:

This is the GTR and is probably the best 480 out there:

https://www.amazon.ca/XFX-Radeon-1288MHZ-Graphics-RX-480P8DFA6/dp/B01J8CCUL2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1489613489&sr=1-1&keywords=RX+480+GTR

Don't bother with reference when so many AIB's do things better.I have a reference 480 and while it works I wish I could have held off a month.

that card is around $80 Cad more, I am on a budget as I work minimum wage...

The Asus dual is the best option here.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Notice how everyone is recommending different cards? People in the computer building community build up brand loyalties and can be pretty biased. Get whichever card you can find the best deal on and has the looks/features that you want.

Anyone actually having a GTR?

How loud is it compared to the competition? Better than the ASUS Strix?

5 minutes ago, testarossa47 said:

Its a little louder then the strix at 100% load 

BUT it never reaches that (even in Xfire and at 1450mhz)

Let's agree to disagree

4 hours ago, ajhockey1 said:

Today is a good day! Sence starting my first job, I can finally afford to upgrade my dreadful R7 260X. I have decided to go for the RX480 but do not know what one to pick

Https://Www.Newegg.Com/Product/Produ...82E16814131706  I am from Canada and I could find this on newegg.ca earlier but suddenly disipeard anyways, imo this card looks like garbage and I have a windowed side panel, also the cooler worries me. And powercolor isn't a big name as currently. SO KEEP IN MIND THIS IS IN USD

Https://Www.Newegg.Ca/Product/Produc...82E16814137082  MSI reference design with 4GB of VRAM, IMO looks super sexy and attractive

Https://Www.Amazon.Ca/Dual-Fan-Radeo...Eywords=RX+480   better cooler, looks pretty meh, no special features

Https://Www.Amazon.Ca/VisionTek-Prod...Eywords=RX+480   most expensive one here, reference card with 8GB of VRAM, don't think Ill take this option as I only play at 1080P

What card of these would you pick? I am trying really hard to make my budget UNDER $300CAD after taxes and shipping

Definitely avoid the reference designs because they are hot and loud. Other than that, I'd recommend the cheapest of the other options and at 1080p the 8GB VRAM will not be a major factor. Any of the aftermarket models will perform about the same (within a few frames of one another and much quieter than the reference model).

Intel Core i7-8700K @ 4.8GHz | Corsair H110i GTX | EVGA RTX 2080 XC | Asus ROG Maximus XI | Intel M.2 nVME SSD 1TB | Samsung 850 EVO 2X2TB | 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 RAM | EVGA SuperNova GS 1050W | Kept cool & quiet in a Fractal Design Define R5 Window with all Noctua fans

5 hours ago, ivan134 said:

The Asus dual is the best option here.

Why is that ive had 2 duds so far and theres 2 posts on the forums of the same issue

32 minutes ago, Stoggy26 said:

Why is that ive had 2 duds so far and theres 2 posts on the forums of the same issue

The other options he listed are reference cards and they're worse. The Asus dual is by no means close the best 480. It's just a step up from the reference card. What issues do you have with yours?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Just now, ivan134 said:

The other options he listed are reference cards and they're worse. The Asus dual is by no means close the best 480. It's just a step up from the reference card. What issues do you have with yours?

Not quite sure my whole computer freezes i believe the VRMs are overheating 

5 hours ago, testarossa47 said:

I own the GTR, but haven't seen a side by side comparison to the Strix. It gets loud at very high RPM like most graphics cards, but under average use, that never happens. If noise is a priority for you, go with the MSI Gaming X 480.

3 minutes ago, Stoggy26 said:

Not quite sure my whole computer freezes i believe the VRMs are overheating 

List your specs including power supply.

Just now, ivan134 said:

List your specs including power supply.