Western Digital has a new PCI-E SSD which is sure to dissapoint some

AlTech
23 hours ago, JoseGuya said:

One use case that I can think of is getting to the hero selection menu in overwatch faster than my team :ph34r:

Part of that might be determined by your network connection.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

2 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I can confirm that it is. Recently, either TWC or Blizzard changed whatever hops we take to their server (resulting in my ping going from 60ish down to 20ish) and I noticed I am able to lock into a character faster than almost every person on our team. SSD has not changed (850 evo) and yet that load time to the character selection in Overwatch has changed drastically. 

I can't imagine a PCIe drive will change that at all. Going from an Intel 540 to that MyDigitalSSD BPX 240gb drive on my dad's PC, didn't change his loading times at all in Elder Scrolls Online, not even a little, and it's 4-5x faster in SEQ reads/writes, and nearly twice as fast as far as random 4k IOPS go. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

2 hours ago, MageTank said:

That looks really sketchy.  Is that even a real company, or product?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That looks really sketchy.  Is that even a real company, or product?

It's very real. I actually own it, lol. In fact, here is a picture of it's speeds. Sorry in advance for the quality of the pictures.

Before (Intel 540):

WUezo7f.jpg

After (MyDigitalSSD BPX)

au6MWzV.jpg

As I said before, they get quite hot. They don't come with any heatsinks or anything. I did use some copper shims and paste to get them down to about 60C under DiskMark load. Worth every penny. 

EDIT: My proof of purchase:

uUt16gl.png

If you are wondering why it was only $45 for me, I had a few gift cards saved up. As I said before, I got the SSD for my father for his birthday. After fixing the thermal issues, it's a very solid drive. Reviews of it here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/mydigitalssd-bpx-nvme-ssd,4780.html

http://www.legitreviews.com/mydigitalssd-bpx-m2-nvme-480gb-ssd-review_190472

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8050/mydigitalssd-bpx-480gb-2-nvme-pcie-ssd-review/index.html

It was a golden gem my buddies and I from my telegram group stumbled upon. So far, half the group has them and no complaints yet. Hard to find something this durable at this price. Needless to say, we abuse them, lol. 

2 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Well, my team is mainly my coworkers at the office staying late to play OW, so we are at the same network.

1 hour ago, MageTank said:

It's very real. I actually own it, lol. In fact, here is a picture of it's speeds. Sorry in advance for the quality of the pictures.

[...]

Interesting.  Cool, might have to look into those.

You weren't kidding about them getting hot though, wow xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

@MageTank

Damn that's a cheap NVMe, actually good performance too. Wonder what it's endurance is like though.

Edit:

Flash:    2D MLC w/ 4-plane high-performance NAND
Controller:    Phison E7 (PS5007-E7)

Endurance:Up to 1,400 TBW

MTBF:>2,000,000 hours

Well that's impressive, MLC.

5 hours ago, leadeater said:

@MageTank

Damn that's a cheap NVMe, actually good performance too. Wonder what it's endurance is like though.

Edit:

Flash:    2D MLC w/ 4-plane high-performance NAND
Controller:    Phison E7 (PS5007-E7)

Endurance:Up to 1,400 TBW

MTBF:>2,000,000 hours

Well that's impressive, MLC.

The 1400 TBW is for the 960GB model (coming within the next 2 months). The 480GB model only has an endurance rating of 698TBW. 

7 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Interesting.  Cool, might have to look into those.

You weren't kidding about them getting hot though, wow xD 

Yeah, the heat was a concern for me. That was originally done in a cheapo case: https://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16811164085

Recently upgraded him to the classic, yet still amazing Temjin 07 that I got from Microcenter for $50. I need to re-test his thermals in that thing, since now there are fans near the M.2 slot. I certainly do not recommend using this M.2 in a laptop or ITX board without active cooling. Maybe if you use shims to make contact with a metal body in some regard (to act as a larger heatsink) but certainly not in it's stock configuration. Granted, it's unlikely that you would see that kind of load-level under normal use, I wouldn't recommend an NVMe drive if you didn't intend to fully use it either. 

Besides, for laptops, you'd be better off with something like an 850 Evo. Low power consumption, low heat, better battery life/thermals all around. 

16 hours ago, MageTank said:

The 480GB model only has an endurance rating of 698TBW. 

OMG only 698TBW, utter deal breaker. That would wear out in 50-100 years (maybe) :P.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

OMG only 698TBW, utter deal breaker. That would wear out in 50-100 years (maybe) :P.

Checking Crystal Disk Info, my SSD which I've been using since mid 2014 as my boot drive has 14.8 TBW xD 

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Checking Crystal Disk Info, my SSD which I've been using since mid 2014 has 14.8 TBW xD 

142 years at that rate for the above SSD. Some of my other SSDs I have punished very hard though, had 2 of mine got around 60TBW in a single year >.<

Oh Canada, there you go again with your Canadumb tax.

4RRKQOA.png

At least newegg isn't batshit crazy, but the delta in shipping grinds my gears.  Wonder it we can force these guys to ship on our own accounts so we don't have to play their game.

vtsmVUQ.png

So I guess its a big "Fork you too Bezos", and hellooOOoo super fast Skyrim drive.