PS4/PS3 System Update To Block Used Games

Mr. Kwiggles

According to the details of a new system update for the PS3 and PS4, you won't be able to resell games.

If true, this will fly in the face of Sony's whole platform for the past few months as a way to undercut sales from the Xbox One.

http://www.neowin.net/news/sony-to-disallow-resell-or-renting-of-playstation-games-after-initially-supporting-it

CPU: AMD FX 8350 OC 4.8GHz Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Mobo: ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z GPU: Radeon HD 7970 RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB 1866mhz Red PSU: XFX 750watt Black Edition Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB, 2TB WD Caviar Black, 2x1TB Samsung Spin Disk Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black

People realize Sony was going to pull the same DRM stunt as Microsoft right? If Sony had their conference before Microsoft, we'd see the same situation with flipped sides.

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

To me this basically says "We don't want you to resell games on places like eBay or Craigslist, only authorized resellers and rental places"

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

I think ddarko from the comment section of your article summed it up nicely,

The TOS is talking about the SOFTWARE itself, the code on the disc. You can't sell the SOFTWARE because that's still Sony's property. What you buy when you buy your game is the DISC (and the license to use the software on the disc) but the SOFTWARE remains with Sony, just as when you buy a Blu-ray of a movie, you are buying the physical disc, not the movie on the disc (the movie, i.e. the software, is still owned by the studio, and just because you bought the Blu-ray disc doesn't give you the right to sell the software). The TOS is saying you can't sell the SOFTWARE , for example, after you rip it off the game disc and repack it or burn it another another disc. Nowhere in the TOS does it say you can't sell the DISC. Nothing has changed. You are free to rent, trade, sell, buy your DISC. You cannot sell the SOFTWARE a.k.a. the CODE, that's on the disc a.k.a. the "disc-based software" or the software you download from the PSN.

Sounds clear as day to me.

6.3. You must not lease, rent, sublicense, publish, modify, adapt, or translate any portion of the Software.

7.1. You must not resell either Disc-based Software or Software Downloads, unless expressly authorised by us and, if the publisher is another company, additionally by the publisher.

That doesn't mean games. It means system updates and system apps. You can resell and lend to people. 

This is another example of a website not understanding what they are writing on and just doing it for the views. Please don't visit that site because they seem to just want viewers without saying the truth.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

4. Software is Licensed

4.1. All Software is licensed, not sold, which means you acquire rights to use the Software, as described in these Terms, but you do not acquire ownership of the Software. If you do not comply with these Terms, we can terminate your Software Licence which means you will no longer have the right to use the Software.

nobody can sell the software. End user is "licenced" the right to use.

6. Limitations on Your Use of Software

6.1. Your licence to use Software is a non-exclusive, non-transferrable licence to use the Software for private use only on the applicable Authorised Systems (as indicated on the box for Disc-Based Software, in the product description for Software Downloads or otherwise notified by us to you from time to time) and only in Europe, the Middle East, Africa, India, Russia and Oceania.

non-exclusive: they can licence out to anybody and as many times as they wish.

non-transferable: i guess this is the confusing part...  transfer from company to user, or user to user?  I'm assuming company to user, and people can use it for personal use as long as it's on "authorized systems". 

only in Europe, ....: hrm, sucks for those countries if it mean not even able to transfer user to user. 

can only be used on authorized systems:....

2.1. "Authorised Systems"means any of PS one, PlayStation®2, PlayStation®Portable, PlayStation®3, PlayStation®Vita and PlayStation®4 systems.

My Rigs (past and present)

Hmmmmm soooooooooo PC master race?

Work Station:: Cooler Master Storm Trooper // i7-3930K @ 3.9 GHz // Asus Sabertooth X79 // Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4X4GB) 1600 MHz // Cooler Master 1200W Gold // Xonar Essence STX // Radeon HD 6970 // Avermedia HD Live Gamer Pro

Gaming Rig:: Cooler Master Scout // i7-2700k @ 4.0GHz // MSI Z68 // G-Skill Ripjaw 16GB (4X4EB) 1066MHz // Antec 750W Bronze // Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD // EVGA GTX 670

But Sony have already said that you can give other people your used games so I feel this is false information.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

But Sony have already said that you can give other people your used games so I feel this is false information.

The article is just misleading, and I should have read it more carefully before jumping to conclusions. You should still be able to buy and trade used games.

CPU: AMD FX 8350 OC 4.8GHz Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Mobo: ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z GPU: Radeon HD 7970 RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB 1866mhz Red PSU: XFX 750watt Black Edition Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB, 2TB WD Caviar Black, 2x1TB Samsung Spin Disk Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black

Clearly this site doesn't know how to read..... what the patch notes clarify is that if you want to copy the software off of the disc or any software you downloaded from PSN and want to sell it well you can't do that.

I'm pretty sure they know what it means, they are just writing articles to drum up controversy in the wake of a impending release for their own website.  Its clear as day what they are protecting against, Piracy, Jailbreaks, homebrew, Reselling burned discs etc.

This is actual a new DRM that is official it doesn't matter what they said in a video when the offical terms of use say the opposite.

Sony will probably just wait a Year and then put it in place when they sold a few Millions of PS4s.

That's probably also the reason why EA and Ubisoft droped Online Passes.

Because they already knew that Sony and MS will make a DRM to a later point.

RTX2070OC 

Wow are they kidding I remember them making a video of how to trade games on ps4 and they just handed the game to other guy making fun of Microsoft and now there going to do what Microsoft were doing anyway wow what a bunch of hypocritical scum! To me this makes them worse than Microsoft. (I don't care about this anyway because I never buy used games but seriously I feel sorry for the people that do not everyone has $100+ to buy a new game every few months)