I can use any resolution between 2k and 4k on 4k monitors right?

NoisanceRitual
Go to solution Solved by NoisanceRitual,
1 hour ago, mariushm said:

If the monitor doesn't like it, you can always enable Scaling in the video card's configuration panel... then the video card would always send a 4K image to the display no matter what resolution you actually have configured or switch to - the video card will automatically resize (zoom) the image to fit in a 4K rectangle , (and preserving the aspect ratio of the image if you chose so)

wow ok nice.

What about using a 50inch tv 4K on my pc instead of a normal pc monitor?

Will i have the same behavior and available resolutions?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/samsung-samsung-50-4k-ultra-hd-led-tizen-smart-tv-un50ku6290fxzc-dark-titan-un50ku6290fxzc/10419755.aspx?

What you think about a big 32 inch 4k monitor or same size but 2k, or a Dell Ultrawide 1440p maybe?

I have a keyboard piano in front of the screen so it need to be a bit more far than usual. I have a 25 inch 2k from asus currently and think it would be nice to have more space maybe but mostly bigger size would be nice as i'm often zooming in websites to see properly. Also i was wondering if i get a 4k like this below, at 32 inch, if i can choose any resolution from 1080p up to 4k that would leave a lot of settings to choose from. 

What you think?

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236767

3 minutes ago, matrixmodulator said:

What you think about a big 32 inch 4k monitor or same size but 2k, or a Dell Ultrawide 1440p maybe?

I have a keyboard piano in front of the screen so it need to be a bit more far than usual. I have a 25 inch 2k from asus currently and think it would be nice to have more space maybe but mostly bigger size would be nice as i'm often zooming in websites to see properly. Also i was wondering if i get a 4k like this below, at 32 inch, if i can choose any resolution from 1080p up to 4k that would leave a lot of settings to choose from. 

What you think?

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236767

Yeah you can use any resolution, it doesn't need to be between 2K and 4K either.

7 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Yeah you can use any resolution, it doesn't need to be between 2K and 4K either.

Sweet, and it works fine in all games? I could always use like 2k or a bit higher in windows and in games? 

If the monitor doesn't like it, you can always enable Scaling in the video card's configuration panel... then the video card would always send a 4K image to the display no matter what resolution you actually have configured or switch to - the video card will automatically resize (zoom) the image to fit in a 4K rectangle , (and preserving the aspect ratio of the image if you chose so)

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

wow ok nice.

What about using a 50inch tv 4K on my pc instead of a normal pc monitor?

Will i have the same behavior and available resolutions?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/samsung-samsung-50-4k-ultra-hd-led-tizen-smart-tv-un50ku6290fxzc-dark-titan-un50ku6290fxzc/10419755.aspx?

According to the tech specs at that link, that TV has 3  hdmi inputs, and at least one of those is version 2.0a which means that it can accept up to 3840x2160 at 60 fps on  that HDMI connector.

The TV won't care that at the other end of the HDMI cable is a computer , or a bluray player, or a game console .. as long as the device at the other end sends a proper HDMI signal, it will display it.

This being said, the tech specs say that 1080p content is upscaled (resized) to 4K which is what you expect, but at least in the specs there's no word about intermediary resolutions.  The TV may accept them and upscale to the best of its capabilities, or may simply say resolution not suppported in which case you can do the trick I mentioned with the video card settings (usually found under Scaling or something like that)

You may find more details in the manual which you should be able to download from Samsung's website .. here's the support page (scroll down to manual)

A few notes:

* In order to see 4K at 60fps on the TV, your video card must also have a HDMI connector that's at least version 2.0 - if  your video card has only version 1.4 or something less than 2.0 the video card and TV may still show 4K but only at 30 fps and games will not feel right

* if you don't have hdmi 2.0 on the video card but the video card has a DisplayPort connector , you can buy DisplayPort to HDMI converters which will create a HDMI 2.0 connector for your video card - they're about 28-30$ on Amazon :

** https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-DisplayPort-Supports-displays-3840x2160/dp/B00S0C7QO8/

** https://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-HDMI-2-0a-Active-Adapter/dp/B01B6ZOMIS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1489393659&sr=8-5&keywords=displayport+to+hdmi+2.0
** https://www.amazon.com/Club3D-Displayport-1-2-HDMI-CAC-1070/dp/B017BQ8I54/

There's cheaper converters out there (at around 13-15$) but those can only do 4K at 30 fps or if they do 60 fps, they do it with loss of color information so games may look washed out, blander.

* most TVs have a lot of processing time, which means there's some delay between the moment the video card sends a video frame and the moment that frame is actually shown on the LCD panel. In some extreme cases, this delay can be up to 100ms , which makes it very hard to play games on such TVs and can even cause headaches. These TVs are otherwise great for movies or working with applications (2d stuff), as the only thing you'd notice would be delay between mouse moves or key presses showing up with some delay on the screen.

Some TVs that have this problem also have some options in the menu that reduce this delay by disabling some features useful for movie playback or TV but less useful for gaming.  You should check the manual to see if there's some " Gaming mode" or options to disable extra features and/or maybe search for reviews for that TV and see if the reviewer experienced that delay.

And last, you could always go into a mall or someplace that has that TV and check it out in person and then order it online. (maybe borrow a tablet or some portable game that has hdmi out and plug a cable in the tv to see how fast it reacts to typing or moving mouse)