What would justify an M.2 NVMe drive?

-Ice

I'm hoping to "retire" my old Crucial M4 and was thinking of getting either another SSD or an M.2 NVMe for an OS drive. I currently also have a Samsung 850 250GB for games and have short-stroked two 1TB HDDs for other games and use the rest of the drive for storage. I do a little photo editing and would like to do some videos later on once I learn how to do it, but aside from Photoshop and the occasional MS Office work, I usually use my PC for gaming.

I've got a strong hunch that most people here would not recommend getting an M.2 NVMe drive since SATA SSDs aren't really being pushed to the limit that often, so what programs or applications would justify buying an M.2 NVMe drive?

I'm guessing for boot times and program startups, an M.2 NVMe would not make much difference compared to a SATA SSD, correct? Same thing for game loading times?

timelines scrolling in Adobe Premiere with 4k raw footage maybe?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

6 minutes ago, -Ice said:

I'm guessing for boot times and program startups, an M.2 NVMe would not make much difference compared to a SATA SSD, correct? Same thing for game loading times?

You're right, it's exactly the same as a regular sata SSD.

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

timelines scrolling in Adobe Premiere with 4k raw footage maybe?

Scrolling will be really benefited by NVME, but it's still better to have lots of ram because ram is still much faster than NVME.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Large sustained transfers is where NVMe shines. For OS drives, they're not all that great as it typically doesn't benefit from high sequential read/writes. 

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You're right, it's exactly the same as a regular sata SSD.

Scrolling will be really benefited by NVME, but it's still better to have lots of ram because ram is still much faster than NVME.

This - Infact I honestly think my m.2 is slower during boot than what my agility 3 SSD was lol

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

For what it's worth, the Intel 600p NVMe M.2 drives are pretty cheap. At the moment the 512 GB 600p is a bit cheaper than a 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO on Newegg US. It's not a spectacular NVMe drive, but it would probably be faster than a SATA drive in most circumstances.

Review conclusion page:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10850/the-intel-ssd-600p-512gb-review/10

20 minutes ago, -Ice said:

so what programs or applications would justify buying an M.2 NVMe drive?

Anything that has LARGE sequential file copies, either between drives inside a PC or across 10Gbps++ connections to external devices.    Almost all other NVMe performance benefit is inconsequential in real life.

Still its pretty impressive when windows copy will report a 3GB/s copy speed between NVMe and RAM Disk.

What is a "large sequential file copy"??