Bottle necking

When I play games on my computer the fps doesn't change when i switch from low settings to high settings most of the time. It usually hovers rate around 60fps because I have use a 60Hz tv as a monitor, and on games that my computer runs at less then 60fps the average frame rate doesnt change between settings. Does this mean that my CPU is the bottle neck in my computer. I would expect that if my GPU was the limiting factor changing the settings would effect the frame rate. 

if you want to test for bottlenecks, i would use either an overlay (msi afterburner + rivatuner) or monitor your CPU / GPU usages while playing. 

what game is this? and your setup? 

Make sure you turn Vsync off if testing for FPS.  Vsync ties your framerate to intervals of your monitor's refresh rate.

for example.  for a 60Hz display the values typically are 0, 5, 15, 30,45, 60 FPS.  so if your GPU can do 37 FPS in reality.  Vsync on means your getting 30.

Edit - My rig can do rocket league at close to 250FPS max settings 1080P.  with vsync on that drops to 60, the max for my display.

Linux Daily Driver:

CPU: R5 2400G

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

HDD: 1TB POS HDD from an old Dell

SSD: 256GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: 1200W Corsair HX1200

Gaming Rig:

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-N Wi-Fi ITX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1070 @ 2GHz

HDD: 3TB Toshiba something or other

SSD: 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Shared with Daily - Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: Shared with Daily - 1200W Corsair HX1200

Server

CPU: Ryzen7 1700

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GT 710

HDD: 1X 10TB Seagate ironwolf NAS Drive.  4X 3TB WD Red NAS Drive.

SSD: Adata 128GB

Case: NZXT Source 210 (white)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 80Plus Gold

Alright, ill try that

Edit: turning vsync off on my current game doesn't change anything 

Your specs might help quite a bit :D 

CPU : i7 8700k @5GHz, GPU : ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX, RAM : 2x8Go 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance, MB : ASUS Prime Z370-A, PSU : CM V850, Case :  NZXT S340, CPU Cooler : NZXT Kraken x62, Monitor : Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p 165Hz, OS : Windows 10 Home 64 bits  

Im pretty sure I have an A10-6700 APU with 12Gb of ram. I just baught a Rx 460 for for it. When i was just using the APU changing the graphics settings would drastically change  the performance of a game.  Now the settings dont really  effect the frame rate of any game I currently have. I also just use a 1080p tv as my monitor 

Like somebody commented, it would really help if you posted your specs (not just what you think you have lol!) that way we can see from afar if you have a bottleneck.

Another way to check, like someone else said, is to open up any program that monitors CPU/GPU usage (Ctrl+Alt+Delete works) and see if one of those things is at 100% while the other one is really low. For example, if your CPU is pushing 100% all the time while your GPU is only at like 30%, you're CPU could be the bottleneck. Every situation is different though and your exact specs would help us determine that.

It sounds like it.

First of all make sure games aren't having their FPS limited to 60 or V-Sync isn't enabled.

Then you can use something like Afterburner to overlay CPU and GPU usage while you play to get an idea. If any CPU cores have very high usage (>90%) and the GPU has relatively low usage (<80%) then you quite likely have a CPU bottleneck.

Generally speaking if you can turn down the resolution and framerate doesn't improve, you're probably CPU bottlenecked.

• 2 weeks later...

Defenently a CPU bottleneck. Using a 980ti i dont get better results