Paint for case?

TheMidnightNarwhal

So wanted to re-paint some white hard drive cages of the Arc Midi to red and do I need any kind of special paint or something like that?

There's is paint that peels off if you don't like it. I forgot what it's called...someone help me out here.

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

Not really, just some plain paint should do. Sand where you're going to paint and you're good to go. I think there may be some paint that's specifically for metal but I'm not sure.

Idk just spray paint it? For metal I think you need a special paint. For like polished plastic you need to sand it down before painting.

Idk just spray paint it? 

Yeah well exacly, there is all sorts of spray paint so was wondering if some paint can cause problem to certain parts or bla bla, but I guess a red paint can from wal mart should do it,

Can I do the same thing for the power supply to?

I'd be very safe with spray painting with primers on a psu. You should cover all cable connectors and connections with 3-4 layers of painters green tape. Don't leave any holes un-tape as the primer/spray paint will just damage/effect the psu components.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

I'd be very safe with spray painting with primers on a psu. You should cover all cable connectors and connections with 3-4 layers of painters green tape. Don't leave any holes un-tape as the primer/spray paint will just damage/effect the psu components.

I see, I will just put red electrical tape around it then.

So wanted to re-paint some white hard drive cages of the Arc Midi to red and do I need any kind of special paint or something like that?

uum. sand it primer it with some layers be sure to let dry for up to whatever the instructions are between each layer. and then coat it up 5 times with your last collor. this is usualy what i do for cars- same principle tho :)

There's is paint that peels off if you don't like it. I forgot what it's called...someone help me out here.

It's called plastidip

Where do bad folks go when they die?
They don't go to heaven where the angels fly
They go to the lake of fire and fry, Won't see them again 'till the fourth of July

Ok but the hard drive cages, afer they are painted and dried, can it cause any problem to HDD on the PCB under or anything?

Ok but the hard drive cages, afer they are painted and dried, can it cause any problem to HDD on the PCB under or anything?

If you're spray painting/ with a primer it can be a problem however if you spray lightly from a 6-8inch distance with thin coats it should be fine.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

plastidip

What is plastidip?

Here's all you need to figure it out: http://www.plastidip.com/

I would highly recommend it, its easy to use and if you mess it up you can always peel it off and start again without needing to sand. They even paint cars with it, I've seen video's of guys painting their cars outside in the open then just peeling the over spray from windows and roll out.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

If you're spray painting/ with a primer it can be a problem however if you spray lightly from a 6-8inch distance with thin coats it should be fine.

Here's all you need to figure it out: http://www.plastidip.com/

I would highly recommend it, its easy to use and if you mess it up you can always peel it off and start again without needing to sand. They even paint cars with it, I've seen video's of guys painting their cars outside in the open then just peeling the over spray from windows and roll out.

So with Plasti dip it would be 100% safe? Right?

So with Plasti dip it would be 100% safe? Right?

Yes, its great because you don't need to sand, you do need to spray their pre-paint spray then paint away. This is great for new things that are already perfect, if you need to cut holes and what not you should still primer or sand it smooth at the very least. If you don't like it you peel it off, I think if you use a hair dryer or heat gun you can cause it to come off easier but you can take it off is the big feature. The original paint will still be under your plastidip so you can always return to the original if so desired at a later date.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Yes, its great because you don't need to sand, you do need to spray their pre-paint spray then paint away. This is great for new things that are already perfect, if you need to cut holes and what not you should still primer or sand it smooth at the very least. If you don't like it you peel it off, I think if you use a hair dryer or heat gun you can cause it to come off easier but you can take it off is the big feature. The original paint will still be under your plastidip so you can always return to the original if so desired at a later date.

Ok. So for plastidip all I need to buy is a can of red plastidip and the job is done?

Do you know any place where I can buy plastidip in canada?

Do you know any place where I can buy plastidip in canada?

Check auto shops, it is here in Australia and seeing we get everything way behind the rest of the world it will be about in some places. As of current the only place I have found it is retail auto shops.

i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz (1.240v) || Asrock extreme 4 || CM Hyper 212 evo

Samsung 840 || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb || Powercolor 7870 xt @ (1200 mhz core : 1500 mhz mem)