HDD making screeching noise

Hey guys I need you help

I recently installed Diablo 3 and since that point my pc starts making these weird screeching noisen on random moments, also when I'm not playing games.

When I shutdown the PC or put it into sleep mode it disappears immediately so it's not a cable hitting a fan.

What is this noise and does it hurt? Should I backup my hdd and order another one? (I got guarantee on it)

20170312_112618_CLIPCHAMP_keep.mp4

The link is a video with the sound of the screeching.

4 minutes ago, BlueBreezer said:

What is this noise and does it hurt? Should I backup my hdd and order another one? (I got guarantee on it)

Backing up never hurts and it's always good to have multiple drives around just in case.

Its Diablo. He wants to break out of your drive and take your soul.

16 minutes ago, BlueBreezer said:

Should I backup my hdd

always have a backup and i keep my old drives as spares

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, BlueBreezer said:

I used crystaldiskinfo and it said good and the hard drive is half a year old. How are you so sure it is dying?

If you're 100% sure it's the hard drive it should 100% not be making that noise. Only thing to try is to try turning the computer on with only the power cable plugged in (no sata).

But it doesn't always make the noise, like now it is running pefectly normal. I can play diablo 3 and other games for hours and nothing happening but it's just so random like 2 times a week it happens.

• 1 year later...
On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:53 AM, BlueBreezer said:

But it doesn't always make the noise, like now it is running pefectly normal. I can play diablo 3 and other games for hours and nothing happening but it's just so random like 2 times a week it happens.

I would make sure that your hard drive passes the S.M.A.R.T self diagnostics test which can be done either in the BIOS or through software made by many different companies (try getting one for your brand of dive which would be most reliable). For example, use WD Data Lifeguard if you have a hard drive made by Western digital. It depends on the drive although it is offer stated in the user guide for the device that it is normal for the drive to make certain sounds and especially some clicks infrequently although if you have any data which is important on that drive and is not stored on another form of digital media I suggest getting the data off your current one with a system recovery point made from the old to the new drive. Isolate other factors of sound in your system such as fans and power supplies and then listen to the sound of the drive itself if it does make the sound by itself you can make a prediction that it will fail. I highly suggest backing up your data because you do not want to deal with a dead hard disk which had your data on it (data recovery does not always guarantee all of your data back).

Edited by Boomwebsearch
Accidentally clicked submit when I was not done making a response.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch