APC SMART UPS?

Go to solution Solved by Erkel,
16 hours ago, stratege1401 said:

you can find this figures on tom's hardware, on the ups calculator page from  schneide, 

concerning the psu, you simply go to hp part for DL360.... 

now, for my academic world, i been working in that business for over 27 years now, and at least i know how to calculate the VA ratio to see if an ups fit, not rolling dice.

more source, in your language : https://www.easycalculation.com/physics/classical-physics/ups-power-requirement.php

I an't rolling dice, have been running APC UPS systems for 10 years.  I am somewhat of a APC fan boy lol.

Have everything from the little 450VA rackmount in a 2 person branch office upto a 16KVA symmetra in HQ.

Using the power supply spec is not a good way of determining power draw.

Out of all my boxes the only one of them that gets truely thrashed as its the main database server, its a cisco C220 with dual Xeon 2667v2 CPU's (8 core, high clock speed database sku) with 128GB of RAM, hardware raid, 2 SSD's in raid, 2 x 2TB enterprise HDD's and 10Gb lan card and I am only seeing this.

graph.png

This is an extreme case, most servers are basically a near flat line.  My dual xeon servers idling along are only in the region of 150-200W,  If you are going to thrash the box add another 100W per socket.   

So provided he an't running graphics card in those boxes, he will be idle along at 300-400W, and peaking at maybe 800W if he has dual CPU's and were thrashing them.  So a 1500VA UPS is about right, as he has plenty of overhead.  I do not like running my UPS's over 70% load.

For more comparison's here are my two esxi boxes, Dell R730's with dual oct core xeon's and 386GB of RAM.

Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 12.45.42 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-03-13 at 12.45.09 AM.png

The only thing you really have to think about is the inrush current when sizing UPS systems where there is not plenty of head room.  ie popping circuit breakers on the UPS input or output, if turning overything on at once, vs staggering the startup, but I am talking about whole racks of equipment here.

The biggest factor when choosing the right UPS is the actual quality of the UPS, there is plenty of junk out there,  I inherited some 600VA shitters from the previous IT guy when I started at my current job 7 years ago and in testing they could only reliably switch about 150W of load, when switching from mains to UPS battery.

APC, Liebert, Eaton are the main ones that will see that are reputable bands in the main stream.

I have two HP PROLIANT DL360 G9 servers, I also have an APC SMART UPS 1500. Can i use that ups to support my servers for a few minutes until the software utility shuts down the servers? 

17 minutes ago, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

I have two HP PROLIANT DL360 G9 servers, I also have an APC SMART UPS 1500. Can i use that ups to support my servers for a few minutes until the software utility shuts down the servers? 

Yes it just depends on the OS their running and the corresponding software you need, it wires a USB connection from the UPS to the server and within the UPS software you can choose for it to safely shutdown within a certain period of time or keep it going until you run low on baterry. 

the best psu in catalogue is a 750W.  so let's take this value as ref.

you need to know the max Watt consumption of ALL hardware connected to your UPS: TWC

and apply a factor of 1.6 to know the ups full capacity.

in your case (2*750)*1.6 =  2400 = TWC  

Your PSU should sustaine a 2400VA , not a 1500.

Simple rules:

- If it works, dont update it.

- You don't know how, just do it, you will learn.

- Test, restest, test again, and maybe it will do it.

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/sigs/sigimage.php?u=919931

forget to say this rule usually apply for a 30Mns according to schneider electric.

Simple rules:

3 hours ago, stratege1401 said:

the best psu in catalogue is a 750W.  so let's take this value as ref.

you need to know the max Watt consumption of ALL hardware connected to your UPS: TWC

and apply a factor of 1.6 to know the ups full capacity.

in your case (2*750)*1.6 =  2400 = TWC  

Your PSU should sustaine a 2400VA , not a 1500.

Where is this coming from?

Sounds like you live in some academic world rather than the real one.

With respect to the original post, you should be fine, best to give a specific model number for the UPS and any notes on the servers, ie single or dual processors and basic configuration. ie any graphics cards etc.   Labels on boxes do not really mean much in the real word,

you can find this figures on tom's hardware, on the ups calculator page from  schneide, 

now, for my academic world, i been working in that business for over 27 years now, and at least i know how to calculate the VA ratio to see if an ups fit, not rolling dice.

more source, in your language : https://www.easycalculation.com/physics/classical-physics/ups-power-requirement.php

Simple rules:

21 minutes ago, stratege1401 said:

The problem is you're assuming the PSU is pulling 750 Watts full time on the UPS. So you would be correct in a worst case scenario but on an average daily usage type scenario where you aren't hammering out the resources of the boxes I would cut the number to half, give or take, to get average usage. Now if OP plans to hammer the boxes then yes, you're 100% correct, they need more than a 1500 VA PSU

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

For a UPS they are designed to be able to have a load at 100% of it's rating, while oversizing it can extend the run time for server and professional equipment there are extended run time units designed for that. 

It also depends on the power factor of the UPS and the power factor of the connected devices, and how well the UPS handles connected device power factors. There's actually a lot of rule of thumb used in UPS sizing as straight math formulas typically don't pan out to actual.

Anyway a 1500kVa is plenty for a single DL360 Gen 9 server. I've put 3 similar servers and a IBM DS3500/Lenovo V3700 on a dual Eaton 9130 3kVa setup and that loads up the UPSs to around 36% each.

16 hours ago, stratege1401 said:

I an't rolling dice, have been running APC UPS systems for 10 years.  I am somewhat of a APC fan boy lol.

Have everything from the little 450VA rackmount in a 2 person branch office upto a 16KVA symmetra in HQ.

Out of all my boxes the only one of them that gets truely thrashed as its the main database server, its a cisco C220 with dual Xeon 2667v2 CPU's (8 core, high clock speed database sku) with 128GB of RAM, hardware raid, 2 SSD's in raid, 2 x 2TB enterprise HDD's and 10Gb lan card and I am only seeing this.

graph.png

This is an extreme case, most servers are basically a near flat line.  My dual xeon servers idling along are only in the region of 150-200W,  If you are going to thrash the box add another 100W per socket.   

So provided he an't running graphics card in those boxes, he will be idle along at 300-400W, and peaking at maybe 800W if he has dual CPU's and were thrashing them.  So a 1500VA UPS is about right, as he has plenty of overhead.  I do not like running my UPS's over 70% load.

For more comparison's here are my two esxi boxes, Dell R730's with dual oct core xeon's and 386GB of RAM.

Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 12.45.42 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-03-13 at 12.45.09 AM.png

The only thing you really have to think about is the inrush current when sizing UPS systems where there is not plenty of head room.  ie popping circuit breakers on the UPS input or output, if turning overything on at once, vs staggering the startup, but I am talking about whole racks of equipment here.

The biggest factor when choosing the right UPS is the actual quality of the UPS, there is plenty of junk out there,  I inherited some 600VA shitters from the previous IT guy when I started at my current job 7 years ago and in testing they could only reliably switch about 150W of load, when switching from mains to UPS battery.

APC, Liebert, Eaton are the main ones that will see that are reputable bands in the main stream.

3 hours ago, Erkel said:

graph.png

6 hours ago, Erkel said:

Just be careful of the low end shit boxes from APC and their sub par batteries :P. I've always preferred Eaton myself as the battery self testing is the only consistently reliable one I've seen.

We use APC at work, I have no say :P, but we have heaps failing all the time but that is rather subjective assessment on the matter since we have hundreds of the damn things.

Edit:

Even had a few catch fire, including an 8kVA model.

11 hours ago, leadeater said:

Just be careful of the low end shit boxes from APC and their sub par batteries :P. I've always preferred Eaton myself as the battery self testing is the only consistently reliable one I've seen.

We use APC at work, I have no say :P, but we have heaps failing all the time but that is rather subjective assessment on the matter since we have hundreds of the damn things.

Edit:

Even had a few catch fire, including an 8kVA model.

I am a APC symmetra fanboy,  Their modular line of mission critical UPS's.  The components are designed to fail gracefully. They are similar to Linus's Eaton.  As long as you are willing to feed them with spare parts they are happy,  Have spent about $13K on our 16KVA UPS in the last year, for new power modules and batteries.  A new comms card coming next month as well,  bloody expensive to maintain, if you want them to be long term reliable.