GPU Help

GrimReapez
Go to solution Solved by DarknessFalls229,
3 minutes ago, GrimReapez said:

This is a really dumb question that i never though of , would it be better for the fans to be pushing in air , or taking out hot air?

Here at LinusTechTips Luke actually brings the answer (in 9 more months)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r58fGVaaDQ

but to my own logic, i think it would be better to have constant air being thrusted out rather than thrusted in, but dont quote me on that since im not actually sure

I currently own a AMD R9 390 MSI GPU , its recently been getting high temps , i have owned it for a little bit over a year , and now its starting to get real hot,

It idles at 67c and underload at 92c , I need some help , do i open the GPU (Which i have never done) And replace the Thermal Paste , or do i just

leave it as it is and not touch it . Could someone give me tips on what i should do in this situation?

you can add a case fan directly to the gpu

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

id say it might be best to remove the dust inside the heatsink and when you still have not low temps you might want to replace the thermal paste with a better one but i myself dont really bother with my fire radeon hd 4670 at 98c

Just now, newgeneral10 said:

Have you set a custom fan curve with something like MSI Afterburner?  My fan curve has changed without my knowledge before.

Nope always left it by itself , never wanted to mess with it since im a novice at PC's , but i would like to learn more if possible

Just now, GrimReapez said:

Nope always left it by itself , never wanted to mess with it since im a novice at PC's , but i would like to learn more if possible

It might help to have a custom fan curve.  I don't know why it is just recently getting hot though.  I've had an r9 390x for about a year and haven't had any problems.  Blowing dust out with an air can is an easy first step though.

Just now, newgeneral10 said:

It might help to have a custom fan curve.  I don't know why it is just recently getting hot though.  I've had an r9 390x for about a year and haven't had any problems.  Blowing dust out with an air can is an easy first step though.

I actually just did that 30 min ago , but im still having heat problems , ive cleaned every fan best i can , no dust in the gpu , and cas efans have been cleaned and case as well ,would more Case Fans help? I only have 1 Case fan , would 3 be a great improvment?

I actually just did that 30 min ago , but im still having heat problems , ive cleaned every fan best i can , no dust in the gpu , and cas efans have been cleaned and case as well ,would more Case Fans help? I only have 1 Case fan , would 3 be a great improvment?

yes but the amount of improvement will depend on what case you have.

I only have 1 Case fan , would 3 be a great improvment?

Yes it would, it would be a best 'case' scenario to have ample amounts of airflow in your case to cool your heatspreaders

6 minutes ago, DarknessFalls229 said:

Yes it would, it would be a best 'case' scenario to have ample amounts of airflow in your case to cool your heatspreaders

This is a really dumb question that i never though of , would it be better for the fans to be pushing in air , or taking out hot air?

3 minutes ago, GrimReapez said:

Here at LinusTechTips Luke actually brings the answer (in 9 more months)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r58fGVaaDQ

but to my own logic, i think it would be better to have constant air being thrusted out rather than thrusted in, but dont quote me on that since im not actually sure