New PC OS

HorseMonkey13

Hey folks! So I'm building my first gaming PC, and I'm not sure how this operating software works for a new custom built PC. Like, is it possible to copy the Windows 10 OS from my old prebuilt computer, to the new one? Or do I have to buy a whole new copy of the OS?

As this is my first time building a PC, I have no idea how any of this works. So thanks for the help in advance!

Usually you will need to buy a new copy of Windows, as the version of Windows that came with your pre-built usually is an OEM version, which is tied to the hardware.

However, it is often possible to extract the licence key from your current computer, and use it on your new one. But this isn't guaranteed to work. Worth a try though.

If you're interested in trying to extract your product key: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-view-your-product-key-in-windows-10-3632749/

2 minutes ago, OPSJono said:

However, it is often possible to extract the licence key from your current computer, and use it on your new one. But this isn't guaranteed to work. Worth a try though.

I have not seen it work but im sure someone in Russia can do it. With pre-built OEM machines extracting the key does not work and you will end up extracting a key that every other customer has. They have the same key across every computer they sell because they get special authentication servers to mass produce OEM machines in a speedy hassle free way

9 minutes ago, HorseMonkey13 said:

is it possible to copy the Windows 10 OS from my old prebuilt computer, to the new one? Or do I have to buy a whole new copy of the OS?

your old prebuilt will be OEM so you will need to buy a new one or get a free one from your school. Theres a good chance your school gets free shit from MS

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

27 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

your old prebuilt will be OEM so you will need to buy a new one or get a free one from your school. Theres a good chance your school gets free shit from MS

i've *heard* that dreamspark keys are now deactivating after X number of years.

that said, buy a new key, once you have that it's your very own key that you can transfer to a new pc in the future if you'd want to. and if you cant warrant the cost *yet*, MS is actually totally fine with running unactivated win10, they dont even nag screen you anymore. you can just buy a key in the near future when the next batch of spendy money comes around.

5 hours ago, manikyath said:

i've *heard* that dreamspark keys are now deactivating after X number of years.

that said, buy a new key, once you have that it's your very own key that you can transfer to a new pc in the future if you'd want to. and if you cant warrant the cost *yet*, MS is actually totally fine with running unactivated win10, they dont even nag screen you anymore. you can just buy a key in the near future when the next batch of spendy money comes around.

What's an unactivated key, and does it restrict me much?

Also, which version of Windows 10 do I need to purchase, and would you happen to know how much it usually runs?