Multi purpose virtualized machine with ryzen

Hi I have an idea for a new rig that should work fine on Intel chips but the big question is could this work on a Ryzen platform (and be cheaper).

My idea is to build a multi purpose machine that runs a hypervisor (KVM/VMware) and provides separate virtual machines for Firewall (Pfsense), NAS(OpenSuSE or other distro) and Windows (Working + Gaming).

To improve performance I want to use PCIe-pass trough on the graphics card (for the windows machine) and for a 4 port gigabit card for the Firewall (for the local LAN).

On an Intel based platform this is "relatively easy" and supported, the hardware must support VT-d and VT-x etc. The thing though is that Ryzen offers more Cores for the same price witch is interesting for the setup I have in mind. Keep in mind that i don't require a top notch system for gaming, i play mainly older titles.

My questions therefore to anyone who might have an idea are:

-How well does Ryzen handle virtualization and PCIe-passthrough, does it work at all?

-GPU: Nvidia or AMD (what is better supported)?

Thanks for any advice.

13 minutes ago, bon_scott said:

Hi I have an idea for a new rig that should work fine on Intel chips but the big question is could this work on a Ryzen platform (and be cheaper).

My idea is to build a multi purpose machine that runs a hypervisor (KVM/VMware) and provides separate virtual machines for Firewall (Pfsense), NAS(OpenSuSE or other distro) and Windows (Working + Gaming).

To improve performance I want to use PCIe-pass trough on the graphics card (for the windows machine) and for a 4 port gigabit card for the Firewall (for the local LAN).

On an Intel based platform this is "relatively easy" and supported, the hardware must support VT-d and VT-x etc. The thing though is that Ryzen offers more Cores for the same price witch is interesting for the setup I have in mind. Keep in mind that i don't require a top notch system for gaming, i play mainly older titles.

My questions therefore to anyone who might have an idea are:

-How well does Ryzen handle virtualization and PCIe-passthrough, does it work at all?

-GPU: Nvidia or AMD (what is better supported)?

Thanks for any advice.

You might need to wait for Software support .. 

Why would you run pfSense and a NAS on a VM? Just curious. 

[ Intel i7-6700K ][ Asus TUF Sabertooth Mk1 Z170 ][ Gigabyte GTX 780ti ][ 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz G.Skill Trident Z ][ Corsair Obsidian 900D ]

[ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 80+ PLATINUM ][ 1x512GB Samsung 960 Pro M.2 (OS) ][ 3x512GB Samsung 850 Pro RAID 0 ][ 1x5TB WD Black ]

1 minute ago, LyyK said:

Why would you run pfSense and a NAS on a VM? Just curious. 

Currently i have one PC that does the pfsense (old core duo) a Windows machine(P4) and no NAS. If i would add a nas i wold have yet another box and cable laying around. The idea is of mine is to squeeze everything in one box to save space and tidy up.

This means having pfsense to deal with the network only and the NAS to be NAS related stuff only. I know the setup that I'm going for is not really standard but that is what makes it fun :-). 

It's far too soon to try using Ryzen as a hypervisor, that is a rather specialized task and requires tight integration which just isn't there yet. All (x86/AMD64) hypervisors are optimized for Intel's stack of technologies, VT-x/VT-d etc, so trying to use Ryzen now will almost certainly result in not just one issue but multiple issues.

Wait until Naples is released and watch the enterprise focused reviews on it.

51 minutes ago, leadeater said:

It's far too soon to try using Ryzen as a hypervisor, that is a rather specialized task and requires tight integration which just isn't there yet. All (x86/AMD64) hypervisors are optimized for Intel's stack of technologies, VT-x/VT-d etc, so trying to use Ryzen now will almost certainly result in not just one issue but multiple issues.

Wait until Naples is released and watch the enterprise focused reviews on it.

I think your point of waiting for enterprise focus on Naples is correct, I Just hope that the customer grade Ryzen CPU's will be supported too because the whole point is to have a cheaper 8 core CPU than what Intel offers, if only Naples will be supported (an therefore enterprise hardware is required) this concept will not really work.

31 minutes ago, bon_scott said:

I think your point of waiting for enterprise focus on Naples is correct, I Just hope that the customer grade Ryzen CPU's will be supported too because the whole point is to have a cheaper 8 core CPU than what Intel offers, if only Naples will be supported (an therefore enterprise hardware is required) this concept will not really work.

depends on the price of naples, because AMD seams to be making a point by making all their CPUs cheaper as they know they don't have the same performance compared to intel per core, so are going for nearly the same for much much less, which seams to have caught everyone's eye and I have a feeling the trend might continue to the server grade stuff to

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

As far as the support of GPU virtualization goes.. almost all AMD GPUs support virtualization, but in the Nvidia corner only Quadro and I think Grid GPUs support virtualisation. This is if you plan on using VMware's ESXi, for KVM I belive there is a way to passtrough GTX cards too

EDIT: Also the free version of ESXi only allows 8 cores/threads per VM 

CPU: 2x Xeon E5 2670 Motherboard: ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16,  RAM: 64GB of 1333 MHz mermory from Samsung (ECC),  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070,  Case: NZXT Switch 810, Storage: Samsug EVO 250GB and 500GB, 3x3 TB and 1x1TB  HDD  PSU: Corsair RM 850,  Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2s,  Headset: Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO black edition (80 ohm), OS: UnRaid with two VMs and Plex 

9 hours ago, bon_scott said:

Should be, it's the same common Zen architecture so once we see support improved for AMD's virtualization stack of technologies Ryzen will be a fine choice.

While I do believe this is way to early to look into purchasing a ryzen for virtualisation I was looking into a similar idea. While naples will offer a brilliant amount of cores for the price I still believe the price will be way over the consumer budget. There are also no clock speeds released at this time and as well all know fewer cores with higher clock speed and higher IPC benefit games much more than loads of cores and slower single threaded performance.

I believe the best way to go would be to go through unRAID if you're looking for gaming performance as well as virtualisation. 

After reading some ryzen performance reviews on the new linux 4.10 kernel its performance is very strong compared to is competitors:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Ryzen-7-1800X-Reader-Comparison

The codec for ALC1220 has only been included in kernel 4.11

The issue here is that unRAIDs current version 6.3.2 is currently running the linux kernel 4.9.10

Would be interesting to see an unRAID running on 4.10 or 4.11 to see virtualisation/ gaming performance though.

I think the best thing you can do at this time would be to pickup a uses XEON or wait to see what happens with the ryzen. Hopefully all the intel fanboys called it bad due to the gaming/ single threaded performance not being as great as the 7700k at 1080p will cause a competitive price drop, but that is just false hope.